The Student Room Group

Should cigarettes be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

They're addicted to it, if we take it away from them immediately they will die as they are reliant on smoking.
Original post by Ohtereeitsfarah
Isn't smoking banned in cars now?

I don't smoke, drive or study law, so no idea.
I don't care as much for completely banning smoking, but rather limiting where you can do it. I honestly think that rather than there being non-smoking areas, there should be areas where smoking is allowed, and everywhere else it should be punishable. It's insanely annoying to be standing at a bus stop, waiting for the green light or whatever and some a-hole stands next to you and pulls out a cigarette. If you want to kill yourself then go for it, but don't drag me down with you. I always run up on the street to overtake smokers so that I wouldn't be breathing in that trail of crap they leave behind :/ Same with the bloody e-cigs that people think are ok to smoke inside a closed room with limited ventilation -.- The smell always makes me very nauseous and we don't know yet if the vapour doesn't have any bad effects on our health.
Original post by Jammy Duel

Houses, open outside spaces.
Reply 124
I think its stupid to ban something which a third of the population do
Original post by morgan8002
Houses, open outside spaces.

So private property and the places you listed?

And of course there are large open areas with few people in it in most urban areas...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think smoking should be made illegal in all public places, but not private property, if some people are just begging for lung cancer then it's their problem. It's not fair that other people are forced to breathe in filthy air because some ignorant peasant is smoking right next to them. Speaking from personal experiences, everyday when I'm waiting for the bus, there's at least one person smoking. There are many mothers with little children at the bus stop, and just school children in general, and people like me who do not wish to be forced to breathe in cigarette smoke. Personally, I'm so disguted by cigarettes, just the thought makes me sick, so everyday for me is a nightmare.
Original post by Nadile
I don't care as much for completely banning smoking, but rather limiting where you can do it. I honestly think that rather than there being non-smoking areas, there should be areas where smoking is allowed, and everywhere else it should be punishable. It's insanely annoying to be standing at a bus stop, waiting for the green light or whatever and some a-hole stands next to you and pulls out a cigarette. If you want to kill yourself then go for it, but don't drag me down with you. I always run up on the street to overtake smokers so that I wouldn't be breathing in that trail of crap they leave behind :/ Same with the bloody e-cigs that people think are ok to smoke inside a closed room with limited ventilation -.- The smell always makes me very nauseous and we don't know yet if the vapour doesn't have any bad effects on our health.

I literally just wrote this without reading your post first. I agree 100%
Can we just ban sanctimonious little pricks instead.

Problem solved
Original post by Fleming1928
I think smoking should be made illegal in all public places, but not private property, if some people are just begging for lung cancer then it's their problem. It's not fair that other people are forced to breathe in filthy air because some ignorant peasant is smoking right next to them. Speaking from personal experiences, everyday when I'm waiting for the bus, there's at least one person smoking. There are many mothers with little children at the bus stop, and just school children in general, and people like me who do not wish to be forced to breathe in cigarette smoke. Personally, I'm so disguted by cigarettes, just the thought makes me sick, so everyday for me is a nightmare.

You're not forced, last time I checked there were no laws about where you can stand when waiting for a bus.

Last bit is typical non smoker's hyperbole.
Original post by Wilfred Little
You're not forced, last time I checked there were no laws about where you can stand when waiting for a bus.

Last bit is typical non smoker's hyperbole.

Funny thing, cause last time I checked you have to wait at the bus stop, otherwise it won't stop. Coincidental isn't it?
Funny thing, cause last time I checked you have to wait at the bus stop, otherwise it won't stop. Coincidental isn't it?

Are you capable of walking 10 yards? Oh, you are? Do you also have decent visual abilities? Oh, you do? So you don't have to stand exactly where the bus will stop then.

Coincidental, isn't it.

Oh, and you don't even need to wait at the stop, although I suppose it depends on where you are and who the driver is.
Are you capable of walking 10 yards? Oh, you are? Do you also have decent visual abilities? Oh, you do? So you don't have to stand exactly where the bus will stop then.

Coincidental, isn't it.

Oh, and you don't even need to wait at the stop, although I suppose it depends on where you are and who the driver is.

Ever heard of diffusion? :facepalm:

You haven't thought this through have you :biggrin:?

If there are people smoking at the bus stop as you said then it has to stop for them so it doesn't matter where you stand. And if you need to stop the bus yourself then nobody is there smoking in the bus shelter, so what's the problem?

Stand a few metres away or something and walk over when you see the bus coming. It's not difficult.
Original post by Wilfred Little
You haven't thought this through have you :biggrin:?

If there are people smoking at the bus stop as you said then it has to stop for them so it doesn't matter where you stand. And if you need to stop the bus yourself then nobody is there smoking in the bus shelter, so what's the problem?

Stand a few metres away or something and walk over when you see the bus coming. It's not difficult.

My post above: Diffusion. The cigarette smoke spreads, if you haven't noticed ...

Also, away from the bus stop discussion now. Last time I saw a group of people smoking outside the entrance to a pharmacy. How am I meant to avoid that? Climb in through the roof?
My post above: Diffusion. The cigarette smoke spreads, if you haven't noticed ...

Also, away from the bus stop discussion now. Last time I saw a group of people smoking outside the entrance to a pharmacy. How am I meant to avoid that? Climb in through the roof?

It spreads yes, if you had to actually stand inside the bus stop or in the same room as these people then you would have a point, but you don't, so you don't. The amount you are going to inhale outdoors and stood away from someone smoking is going to be the square root of **** all.

Hold your breath and walk in.
So private property and the places you listed?

And of course there are large open areas with few people in it in most urban areas...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't list anything.

There are in or near most urban areas most of the time.
Ever heard of diffusion? :facepalm:

In that case, I think you need yourself a little bubble to live your entire life in.
Original post by morgan8002
I didn't list anything.

There are in or near most urban areas most of the time.

I suppose most of the time is correct, but then again, most of the time people should be sleeping or working.
I suppose most of the time is correct, but then again, most of the time people should be sleeping or working.

Really?

We aren't slaves. Although I'm sure Mr 'work like Chinese' Hunt would like that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending