The Student Room Group

What sort of salary should I be aiming for?

I graduated in July and am looking for software development roles. What kind of salary is normal for an entry level position like this? Many junior roles I see offer salaries in the 20-25k range. 20k does seem a bit low.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Kinda depends what uni and what degree class too
What sort of software? Whereabouts in the country? 20k would be a bit low in London but probably somewhat better in say Newcastle.
Whatever you can get.
Original post by Gherk
I graduated in July and am looking for software development roles. What kind of salary is normal for an entry level position like this? Many junior roles I see offer salaries in the 20-25k range. 20k does seem a bit low.

£20 - 25k is entirely reasonable for a first job.

Good luck!
In this climate count yourself lucky to get any job offer upon graduating, money shouldnt be the main focus so early on in your career progression and experience prospects is what its about.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm just happy about the £29,000 average I'm being told about for after my course. Something to look forward to...
Reply 7
Original post by chosenone93
In this climate count yourself lucky to get any job offer upon graduating, money shouldnt be the main focus so early on in your career progression and experience prospects is what its about.

This
Original post by Gherk

I would say between 27000&32000 and you will be in the top 10%of earners
Original post by Rabadon
Kinda depends what uni and what degree class too

Uni doesn't dictate a salary you nugget, neither does degree class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Where do you live? 24k~ is about average outside of London.
Reply 11
Go to Hong Kong if you want to earn more.
Original post by Princepieman
Uni doesn't dictate a salary you nugget, neither does degree class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually it can do. Where I used to work the salary is very good for a software development role (they have a starting salary of £40k + £5k joining bonus) but they only consider graduates with a high class degree from a select group of Universities.
Reply 13
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Actually it can do. Where I used to work the salary is very good for a software development role (they have a starting salary of £40k + £5k joining bonus) but they only consider graduates with a high class degree from a select group of Universities.

You're arguing against a "does do" with a "can do".

Yes, university & degree choice CAN dictate your starting salary, but it overwhelmingly doesn't.
Original post by Reue
You're arguing against a "does do" with a "can do".

Yes, university & degree choice CAN dictate your starting salary, but it overwhelmingly doesn't.

Not to mention as an expert in the industry who actually hires graduates, 40k is an insane salary for a graduate even with a distinction/1st class from the best comp science unis in the country (I've hired such people). You could hire an experienced developer for this inside London!

Graduates almost always have a negative deficit in revenue generation for the first year or two, we need to train 'em and they have no real industry experience. So that 40k + 10k in training... and many of them jump ship after a year or two, it's an awfully big investment and risk they are making. It's definitely not the norm.

We hire 2:1's, MA's, 1st class grads all on the same starting salary pending industry experience.
Original post by Reue
You're arguing against a "does do" with a "can do"

Indeed. That's a concept called "Proof by counter example" (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterexample)

The statement "Uni doesn't dictate a salary you nugget" can be demonstrated to be incorrect by a single example to the contrary

Ok. You do realise that doesn't refute my argument.. Here's an example: Investment Banks target a very select group of unis, doesn't mean that going to one of these unis guarantees you the job nor does it mean that a superstar from a university outside of the core list will not be considered.

It's all about how well you fit the role. Your degree and university brand will HELP put you on a path to a high salary but it doesn't DICTATE whether you will get one or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Indeed. That's a concept called "Proof by counter example" (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterexample)

The statement "Uni doesn't dictate a salary you nugget" can be demonstrated to be incorrect by a single example to the contrary

Also called a logical fallacy, when you present a possibility in the form of a certainty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ron_trns
Not to mention as an expert in the industry who actually hires graduates, 40k is an insane salary for a graduate even with a distinction/1st class from the best comp science unis in the country (I've hired such people). You could hire an experienced developer for this inside London!

Graduates almost always have a negative deficit in revenue generation for the first year or two, we need to train 'em and they have no real industry experience. So that 40k + 10k in training... and many of them jump ship after a year or two, it's an awfully big investment and risk they are making. It's definitely not the norm.

We hire 2:1's, MA's, 1st class grads all on the same starting salary pending industry experience.

IBs regularly pay graduate software devs that much, so do the top software houses (FB, Google etc) and startups.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Ok. You do realise that doesn't refute my argument.. Here's an example: Investment Banks target a very select group of unis, doesn't mean that going to one of these unis guarantees you the job nor does it mean that a superstar from a university outside of the core list will not be considered.

It's all about how well you fit the role. Your degree and university brand will HELP put you on a path to a high salary but it doesn't DICTATE whether you will get one or not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll concede that it does depend on which angle you're looking at it from.

You're right that attending a certain elite University will not guarantee employment anywhere.

However, attending a different University could preclude you from employment in some places (the company to which I was referring auto-rejects applicants who didn't go to a University they consider to be good enough).

The second point is what I was talking about. In that example, the University you attend directly dictates your eligibility for employment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending