The Student Room Group

Instead of sugar tax, fat clothes tax

A sugar tax affects everyone even if they are not overweight.

It would be fairer to have a fat clothes tax that targets people of an unhealthy weight. For example, any clothes over size 16 should be taxed at 20% , same with XL,XXL etc size clothes for men.

A sugar tax would increase resentment against overweight people but a large clothes tax would be fair and an incentive for people to lose weight.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker

It would be fairer to have a fat clothes tax that targets people of an unhealthy weight. For example, any clothes over size 16 should be taxed at 20% , same with XL,XXL etc size clothes for men.

A sugar tax would increase resentment against overweight people but a large clothes tax would be fair and an incentive for people to lose weight.

This is what happens when you think you are smart, when in reality you need a reality check. How about buff muscular guys who are healthy but big? Yes your whole argument collapsed gg.
Reply 3
Original post by TheSexyApple
This is what happens when you think you are smart, when in reality you need a reality check. How about buff muscular guys who are healthy but big? Yes your whole argument collapsed gg.

I am smart thanks.

I'm sure they can spare a few quid from their gym membership, protein supplements, clothes to show off their muscles and extra protein rich foods.
(edited 8 years ago)
See , you're no thinkin ahead.
Would that not mean more cellulite riddled white leggings and pastey coloured bulging muffin tops. 😱
No...if anything there should be a state subsidy for clothes over size 18.
High sugar and fat tax all the way! 😊
(edited 8 years ago)
We should tax terrorism in order to prevent terrorism.
Original post by Maker

Do both and make it over 12 not 16 that's already obese

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by caravaggio2
See , you're no thinkin ahead.
Would that not mean more cellulite riddled white leggings and pastey coloured bulging muffin tops. 😱
No...if anything there should be a state subsidy for clothes over size 18.
High sugar and fat tax all the way! 😊

Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

lots of tall slim women are 16.
Sugar tax would affect everybody who's unhealthy, which in many ways is just as important as affecting people who are overweight. With slimmer, unhealthy people, the problems are just less noticeable to the public ~ the only reason a clothes tax would change anything is to body shame lots of slightly overweight but otherwise healthy people.
Original post by Maker
lots of tall slim women are 16.

No, they are not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

A twelve is a "medium" in clothes size, so would you suggest that all men's clothes should only be a "small"??
Reply 11
Skinny people can be unhealthy too.

We need to tax anything that is unhealthy heavily and push big corporations towards cheaper healthy alternatives. In turn that extra tax should go into education to educate generations of children to make better choices. Invest in the future.
Reply 12
Original post by paul514

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure what country you're living in, but in the UK size 12 is far from obese.
Bigger clothes cost more anyway. Try again.
Original post by Maker

Hang on, I wear XL clothing but I'm not overweight!! This is absurd!
excessive sugar causes type2 diabetes but that is not the same as being fat you can get diabetes and still be slim. Diabetes is the main problem as it costs the NHS billions.
Original post by Vicky628
Sugar tax would affect everybody who's unhealthy, which in many ways is just as important as affecting people who are overweight. With slimmer, unhealthy people, the problems are just less noticeable to the public ~ the only reason a clothes tax would change anything is to body shame lots of slightly overweight but otherwise healthy people.

What about me ? I consume over 150g of sugar a day. I go gym 3 times a week and play for my universities football 3 times and run regularly. My BMI is below 20, as a student I barely manage to afford the food on my table i feel ashamed to ask my parents to send me money. And to make things elworse im the skinniest guy on the field, im planning to gain 10kg so will be switching to a 5000kcal diet plan so Im looking for a part time job.

Your claim that the sugar tax would effect everyone that is unhealthy is simply idiotic and plainly ignorant, arguably on par with OP's fat clothe tax
Whilst I agree sugar tax would help those who are overweight in general, but why should i suffer cause other people can't control themselves?
That is unfair on tall people such as myself who has to buy XL t-shirts in order in get the required length.

How am I supposed to lose height, chop off my leg?
Original post by Vicky628

This is not true it is healthy to eat up to your daily amount of sugar and there are people with high metabolisms who have to eat unhealthily to keep at a decent weight.If you keep within the official dietary restrictions you are not being unhealthy, a lot of the products that would be taxed can be consumed moderately in a healthy way.Fruits also contain lots of sugar I hope they are taxed, if other sugary items are.
Original post by heynow
I'm not sure what country you're living in, but in the UK size 12 is far from obese.

Learn to read it says over 12 aka 14 plus

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest