The Student Room Group
Find Asian communities. Sometimes, as much as you'd want to, you just can't be matched with people of other cultures
Find people that have similar interests to you. Not all british people enjoy pubs/nightclubs. Join a society/club. That is a useful way to get to know people who have similar interests
I thought you immigrants were British as well? Or is that only when you want this country :wink:
I think most people who don't like those things struggle at uni no matter where they're from. Just try to join some societies and put yourself out there in lectures, talk to different people :smile:
Plus there may be people who want to learn an Asian languages and would be very interested in having coffee with you and learning about your culture! ^^
Reply 5
Original post by Buddychenchen
I am an Asian student studying in UK. Really want to make friends with British people....but I found it tough because I don't like football and nightclub... Sometimes I try to go to the pub or nightclub with some British guys. But I found I can just drink but nothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are my favourite kind of Asian student.

I click really well with the Asians on my course, I convince them to come out with us and bond with us and have a good time even though they don't/can't drink for religious reasons. At least you're actually making the effort and coming out, that's a start. Although I don't really understand your last sentence, it's great you want to bond with them. Keep it up, talk to them about it! Find a common ground, what do you like doing?
This is refreshing to hear. Most Asian students I met over the years immediately clumped together and refused to interact with anyone else. My friend even said at her uni 49 Asian students tried to go to the only Asian project supervisor. My sister in law is Chinese-American so is used to making friends with most people but when she started a new course, the Asian student society tried to tell her (grown married woman) that she should only be spending time with them and doesn't have to mix.

I hope you make lots of new friends and are not so closed off. Speaking English as much as possible and teaching your language sounds a good starting point.
Don't worry, most British people struggle to make friends. Failure to do so is a sign that you are adapting well to British culture.

On a more serious note, try getting involved in some of the stuff your university offers like the societies or voluntary groups. I've come across quite a few international students while doing environmental voluntary work.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JD1lla
You are my favourite kind of Asian student.

I click really well with the Asians on my course, I convince them to come out with us and bond with us and have a good time even though they don't/can't drink for religious reasons. At least you're actually making the effort and coming out, that's a start. Although I don't really understand your last sentence, it's great you want to bond with them. Keep it up, talk to them about it! Find a common ground, what do you like doing?

Thanks for your response. In last sentence I meant when I was in pub with with people, I just drank beer and no talking, because most of them were talking something I didn't know a lot, I couldn't join their topics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tips to make friends
Make a move. Take the initiative. Try not to panic, because many of the students will feel like this,
Master, little conversation.
offer food
Hosting a festival. ...
Go to parties.
Set out for the day.
Join a mate. ......
Join as a volunteer.
Thread is now closed :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending