The Student Room Group

What do you think of these uni's

Hi my name is Waliid and I want to study Computer Science at uni. I am currently in my second year of my BTEC IT course. The uni I want to apply are Queen Mary, Loughborough, Birmingham, King's college, and lastly Kent. I would appreciate any comment and suggestion of different uni.
Reply 1
I'd first like to inform you that Birmingham will no longer accept the BTEC by itself (I too am applying for 2016 entry and doing a BTEC in IT). Loughborough and King's will accept you to the regular Bsc but not their integrated masters programmes (if you wanted to do one that is). I'd suggest taking a look at Nottingham, Swansea and Newcastle, all accept BTEC with only GCSE's as their other entry requirements. The courses are varied and interesting and all three are within the top 25 ranks for computer science.
Reply 2
Original post by cnova
I'd first like to inform you that Birmingham will no longer accept the BTEC by itself (I too am applying for 2016 entry and doing a BTEC in IT). Loughborough and King's will accept you to the regular Bsc but not their integrated masters programmes (if you wanted to do one that is). I'd suggest taking a look at Nottingham, Swansea and Newcastle, all accept BTEC with only GCSE's as their other entry requirements. The courses are varied and interesting and all three are within the top 25 ranks for computer science.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1445674322.512622.jpg

They do accept BTEC. See the email they sent me. Also on their website it says we require GCSE maths at grade B if not offered at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
That's because it's only a general guide they provided you and not from the actual computer science department, their website states different. It stipulates that you're required to also have an A level in maths.

nope.png

Check the other universities I mentioned too though, they're worth a look.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cnova
That's because it's only a general guide they provided you and not from the actual computer science department, their website states different. It stipulates that you're required to also have an A level in maths.

nope.png

Check the other universities I mentioned too though, they're worth a look.

That's true that you require A level maths but it also says that Grade B in Mathematics if not offered at A level. I emailed them of all the units I am doing so I am just waiting for them to reply and see if they will accept it. If not then I won't apply for it. And thanks I'll check them uni. I didn't actually look at them to begin with. Also what units are u doing at college for your BTEC.

Unit 01 - Communication and Employability Skills for IT - Completed
Unit 02 - Computer Systems - Completed
Unit 03 - Information Systems - Completed
Unit 04 - Impact of the Use of IT on Business Systems - Completed
Unit 07 - Organisational Systems Security - Completed
Unit 08 - E-Commerce
Unit 11 - Systems Analysis and Design
Unit 12 - IT Technical Support - Completed
Unit 14 - Event Driven Programming
Unit 17 - Project Planning With IT
Unit 18 - Database Design
Unit 22 - Developing Computer Games
Unit 23 - Human Computer Interaction - Completed
Unit 28 - Website Production - Completed
Unit 30 - Digital Graphics
Unit 31 - Computer animation
Unit 41 - 3D Modelling
Unit 42 - Spreadsheet modelling - Completed

I am thinking of changing Unit 8 for Unit 26 which is Mathematics for IT Practitioner. Loughborough need Distinction in this unit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Waliid
what units are u doing at college for your BTEC.

I am thinking of changing Unit 8 for Unit 26 which is Mathematics for IT Practitioner. Loughborough need Distinction in this unit.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That was their old requirement, along with a distinction in the maths for IT practitioners unit (I wanted to apply there before). I definitely recommend you to do so, even if you decided to go to a university where it isn't a requirement, the units is extremely helpful in preparation for a computer science course.

My units are:

Unit 1 - Communication and employability skills - Completed
Unit 2 - Computer Systems - Completed
Unit 3 - Information Systems - Currently doing
Unit 5 - Managing Networks - Currently doing
Unit 9 - Computer Networks - Currently doing
Unit 11 - Systems Analysis and Design - Completed
Unit 14 - Event Driven Programming - Completed
Unit 18 - Database Design - Completed
Unit 20 - Client Side Customisation of Web Pages - Upcoming
Unit 22 - Computer Games Development - Upcoming
Unit 25 - Maintaining Computer Systems - Completed
Unit 26 - Mathematics for IT practitioners - Upcoming
Unit 28 - Website Production - Currently doing
Unit 29 - Installing and Upgrading Software - Completed
Unit 30 - Digital Graphics - Completed
Unit 31 - Computer Animation - Currently Doing
Unit 32 - Networked Systems Security - Upcoming
Unit 42 - Spreadsheet Modelling - Completed

I've had distinctions in every unit so far. I'm going to complete the year with distinctions in all 18 units and get overall D*D*D*.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by cnova
That was their old requirement, along with a distinction in the maths for IT practitioners unit (I wanted to apply there before). I definitely recommend you to do so, even if you decided to go to a university where it isn't a requirement, the units is extremely helpful in preparation for a computer science course.

My units are:

Unit 1 - Communication and employability skills - Completed
Unit 2 - Computer Systems - Completed
Unit 3 - Information Systems - Currently doing
Unit 5 - Managing Networks - Currently doing
Unit 9 - Computer Networks - Currently doing
Unit 11 - Systems Analysis and Design - Completed
Unit 14 - Event Driven Programming - Completed
Unit 18 - Database Design - Completed
Unit 20 - Client Side Customisation of Web Pages - Upcoming
Unit 22 - Computer Games Development - Upcoming
Unit 25 - Maintaining Computer Systems - Completed
Unit 26 - Mathematics for IT practitioners - Upcoming
Unit 28 - Website Production - Currently doing
Unit 29 - Installing and Upgrading Software - Completed
Unit 30 - Digital Graphics - Completed
Unit 31 - Computer Animation - Currently Doing
Unit 32 - Networked Systems Security - Upcoming
Unit 42 - Spreadsheet Modelling - Completed

I've had distinctions in every unit so far. I'm going to complete the year with distinctions in all 18 units and get overall D*D*D*.

Same here have 9 distinctions so far and hoping for another 9.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You need to look at their requirements.
Reply 8
Original post by Vikingninja
You need to look at their requirements.

Lol of course I know that. That's the first thing I do and then I look at the course content. Any ways who applies for uni without looking at the requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waliid
Lol of course I know that. That's the first thing I do and then I look at the course content. Any ways who applies for uni without looking at the requirements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right thought you were asking if they were good if you had a BTEC.
Reply 10
Oh right thought you were asking if they were good if you had a BTEC.

That too and plus what you think about the place where the uni's are at. What's good and bad about the uni. You know that kind of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waliid
That too and plus what you think about the place where the uni's are at. What's good and bad about the uni. You know that kind of things.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm applying to Loughborough and it was an amazing uni. I can't say about the course since im applying for civil eng but the campus was amazing and its got good facilities. Got 1st for a load of student awards by whatuni and it deserves them (except the towers accomodation).
Reply 12
I'm applying to Loughborough and it was an amazing uni. I can't say about the course since im applying for civil eng but the campus was amazing and its got good facilities. Got 1st for a load of student awards by whatuni and it deserves them (except the towers accomodation).

Thanks for that and yeah I've seen that they are top for student satisfaction. That's one of the reason I am applying for the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waliid
Thanks for that and yeah I've seen that they are top for student satisfaction. That's one of the reason I am applying for the uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It also really puts up industrial placements which are important. Accomodation is very cheap though for some reason people see an issue with the 30%+ increases in student accomodation to others here, its still bloody cheap with that increase.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending