The Student Room Group

Went on a date with an 18 year old, I am 24.

And to be honest, mentally, I felt distant. The age gap is not big at 6 years but to be honest, I felt like the age gap was enough so that she does not get a lot of the cultural references I made from the past (e.g. music, popular culture). It was strange, she did not know what Skins (the tv programme) was, and to be honest I felt old.

The mental connection I can get with girls my age, but I find with them they are mentally a bit more jaded like I am. This girl was just very optimistic about life and enjoying life, not having to worry about career and past relationships etc.

Man, what is life? :lol:

Have any of you guys had a similar experience before?
I dated a 19 yr old at 27 it's all good aha
Reply 2
Original post by Tom.x.Gotze
And to be honest, mentally, I felt distant. The age gap is not big at 6 years but to be honest, I felt like the age gap was enough so that she does not get a lot of the cultural references I made from the past (e.g. music, popular culture). It was strange, she did not know what Skins (the tv programme) was, and to be honest I felt old.

The mental connection I can get with girls my age, but I find with them they are mentally a bit more jaded like I am. This girl was just very optimistic about life and enjoying life, not having to worry about career and past relationships etc.

Man, what is life? :lol:

Have any of you guys had a similar experience before?

Skins is hardly the realm of nostalgia, that chit was still on tv 2 years ago.

I'm same age as you and wouldnt date girls below graduate age (21/22) tbh. At that age all girls literally wanna do is have fun, i.e. they're not good candidates for some serious relationship / grow together chit.
(edited 8 years ago)
You are old. Think about it like this. When she was 11 you were almost 18. Different generation. And wtf is a skin
Reply 4
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I dated a 19 yr old at 27 it's all good aha

Man 8 year gap, what was that like? It's pretty strange thinking back how they would have missed a lot of the cultural scene from when we were younger (indie music etc).
Reply 5
Woah, she didn't know what Skins was? lol well, if there's a reciprocated attraction and liking for each other, keep moving forward with it. I know that if I dated a guy who was slightly older than I am, I wouldn't want things to end because we didn't have the same mentality. I would eventually grow into it(:
Btw, Henry Cravil, aged 32, is allegedly dating a 19-year old university student from Bristol.
Reply 7
Original post by MAINE.
Skins is hardly the realm of nostalgia, that chit was still on tv 2 years ago.

I'm same age as you and wouldn't date girls below grad from uni age (21/22) tbh. At that age all girls literally wanna do is have fun, i.e. they're not good candidates for some serious relationship / grow together chit.

I remember the first years of Skins, actually :lol:. Really good times, indie music, reading poetry in AS/A2 Literature, warm summers lazing by the fields near sixth form. Ibiza when I was 17, seems a lifetime ago but it was goooood in many parts. I was not nearly grown up back then, but I regret not fully appreciating that time and looking too far forward into the future. So, enjoy today. as cliche as that sounds.
Reply 8
Original post by grvcex97
Woah, she didn't know what Skins was? lol well, if there's a reciprocated attraction and liking for each other, keep moving forward with it. I know that if I dated a guy who was slightly older than I am, I wouldn't want things to end because we didn't have the same mentality. I would eventually grow into it(:

Physically yes of course I like her, but mentally I am not into it and I really value that shared recollection of the past which I get with girls my own age. Oh well, at least now I know what this whole age gap thing can be like.

Quick Reply

Latest