The Student Room Group

Should I take Maths AS-Level at 14?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RonnieRJ
the step up between C1 and C3 is bigger than between GCSE and the AS core modules

Really true. C1/2 I was finding so easy and suddenly when I got to C3 it was like "whoa.. maths can actually be tough" xD
Original post by Student403
Sorry for remembering this late, but for our AS maths we actually had C1, C2 and C3. For our Further AS we had 2 applied + FP1. So maybe OP could take C1-3 AS Maths and C4 + 2 applied for A2?

If you cash in at that point then you would get AS Pure maths and AS Further Maths. However at that point it gets a bit messy and you have to send the AS Pure maths certificate back if you want to use C1-3 in A level maths.
Original post by Compost
If you cash in at that point then you would get AS Pure maths and AS Further Maths. However at that point it gets a bit messy and you have to send the AS Pure maths certificate back if you want to use C1-3 in A level maths.

Ah thanks for telling me.

I do recall asking my maths teacher about it, and she told me that it didn't matter because we hadn't "cashed in" yet.
Original post by Maths465Man
Hi all,

I am 14 years old and currently studying my GCSE subjects including Maths. However, I am able to lots of the units in the Maths AS-Level book and feel that I could be successful if I did an AS exam. However, because of the recent changes in GCSE, I am unable to take my Maths GCSE early meaning that it could be the situation, if I take the exam, that I have A-Level Maths before GCSE level Maths. Should I do AS-Level Maths knowing I will have to do it outside of school as there isn't time within my curriculum? I really enjoy Maths and would like to hear your feedback.

Thanks.

Sorry I am late to this thread, but perhaps I can help.

I took GCSE Maths when I was 13, and I'm a year ahead, studying for my final year of A-levels. Personally, I would advise you to try enrichment with high school maths challenges (not just UKMT). Perhaps train yourself for the British Maths Olympiad, though don't expect to beat all the privately educated mathmos. However, if you prefer to blitz through A-level maths early, there are potentially 3 full A-levels in maths you could take for some exam boards, so when you are in year 12 you could finish off the remaining two. And beyond that, there is a ton of stuff like STEP if you get bored.

Original post by 雷尼克
What's wrong with just doing it in time with your peers?

Because classes go at the speed of the slowest person there
Hi all,

I am 14 years old and currently studying my GCSE subjects including Maths. However, I am able to lots of the units in the Maths AS-Level book and feel that I could be successful if I did an AS exam. However, because of the recent changes in GCSE, I am unable to take my Maths GCSE early meaning that it could be the situation, if I take the exam, that I have A-Level Maths before GCSE level Maths. Should I do AS-Level Maths knowing I will have to do it outside of school as there isn't time within my curriculum? I really enjoy Maths and would like to hear your feedback.

Thanks.

You can take your GCSE maths early.
It depends on what you mean by you can do lots of the units in your maths AS-level book. Which units and how well can you do them? Have you started past papers?

A thing that concerns me with you taking the exams early is that the spec changes for the 2018 series so I'm not sure how that'll affect you. You should look into that.
As others have said, some universities don't like you taking exams early.

I took GCSE maths at 14 and AS maths at 15. A2 maths and my other ASs(including further maths) at 16. My other A2s and STEP at 17.
Original post by morgan8002
You can take your GCSE maths early.
It depends on what you mean by you can do lots of the units in your maths AS-level book. Which units and how well can you do them? Have you started past papers?

A thing that concerns me with you taking the exams early is that the spec changes for the 2018 series so I'm not sure how that'll affect you. You should look into that.
As others have said, some universities don't like you taking exams early.

I took GCSE maths at 14 and AS maths at 15. A2 maths and my other ASs(including further maths) at 16. My other A2s and STEP at 17.

I can do C1, C2, M1 and some of S1 from an AS level textbook. I feel that I can do all the Maths pretty comprehensibly and often get questions based on the Maths correct. I haven't done any past papers yet. Do you think I should seeing that it is very unlikely that I will do anything early and focus on Mathematical Enrichment more? I will continue to do more difficult Maths because why shouldn't I? I do Maths because I love it and regardless if I need it for an exam it doesn't matter. I would much rather do Maths because I love it than to just get good marks in an exam. I don't care about being able to do exams. I care about doing more difficult Maths because I love it and want to challenge myself.
Original post by 雷尼克
I don't see why someone should start focusing on AS in the middle of GCSEs... It's not like you need the extra time because quite clearly people who are only just able at maths do well without extra time.

FFS its because he needs extra intellectual stimulation, not extra time SMH
Original post by 雷尼克
SO why does he have to cheat the system? Can't he just read ahead to AS while studying GCSEs? Is it that necessary to finish the AS qualification early?

"cheat the system"

??????
Original post by 雷尼克
SO why does he have to cheat the system? Can't he just read ahead to AS while studying GCSEs? Is it that necessary to finish the AS qualification early?

If he is capable of doing AS levels now, then there is no reason not to do so. If he does well in his AS level maths, it might convince his teachers to give him a bit of free reign over his studies, i.e. at a faster pace, and covering topics he prefers.

Do you think I should seeing that it is very unlikely that I will do anything early and focus on Mathematical Enrichment more? I care about doing more difficult Maths because I love it and want to challenge myself.

Generally, enrichment is harder but requires less knowledge than just going for more advanced mainstream maths. Personally I dislike the style of UKMT and BMO problems, but if you like it then its probably best to just do enrichment.
just CHILL and enjoy being 14 whilst you can.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RonnieRJ
Trust me I found C1 and C2 quite easy compared to whatever else I did in my A levels. Those two were my highest UMS (excluding practicals in sciences). And I didnt revise from past papers at all as I generally don't.
I just don't see how someone who's not even doing GCSE maths yet wants to do AS maths. It'd be OK to just take on maths AS in year 11 if they're that good but otherwise I don't see the point, there are three whole units worth of work there

if you don't revise from past papers then what do you do it from?
Reply 71
Original post by 雷尼克

What do you mean "cheat the system"? It won't give him muvh advantage or disadvantage, but it does mean he'll be able to do an extra A-level.

A lot of people in my school had done A-level Maths during their GCSEs and also before it, to simply get it out of the way (as most of them want to go into Maths or Engineering).
Hi all,

Thanks.

Ask if you can do that. My brother is your age and doing the full A level in a year, but he has already got his (International)GCSE in it. I always worked off the assumption that in order to do the A level, you need to do the GCSE to 'unlock' it, but check on the exam board website and if it is possible, go for it.

I have not read all of the replies to this thread, as there are too many pages, but they seem overwhelmingly negative, e.g. that the universities hate it if you take the qualification early. This is completely untrue; at the most they do not take into account how old you were when you did it. In fact, doing an AS level independently and teaching yourself shows initiative and the ability to learn independently, which the universities love. However, you cannot use the fact that you are doing it early as an excuse for getting a lower grade.

Some of the responses remind me of my teachers when they always tell me off for going ahead, simply because the other kids have not reached that point yet. This is the same culture that seems to celebrate mediocrity and says that aiming for a C is a perfectly alright thing to do. Don't let other people discourage you from aiming high.

One valid point: do focus on your other GCSEs. How many are you doing? Unless you are doing medicine the universities do not look at GCSEs much, so there is really no need to have the 12/13 qualifications that most of my friends seem to have. Consider the workload, and perhaps drop some which aren't compulsory, but as I don't know about your school and all that I can't really advise there.

AS level maths is more in-depth and complicated than the GCSE, but it is not difficult as it all comes together. You can do it, don't let others tell you that you can't. I think you will be able to do it, and if you do you should probably get around 100% in your GCSE afterwards simply because you know the content a lot more! Which modules are you planning on taking for the AS/A level?

Hope this helps. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
I can do C1, C2, M1 and some of S1 from an AS level textbook. I feel that I can do all the Maths pretty comprehensibly and often get questions based on the Maths correct. I haven't done any past papers yet. Do you think I should seeing that it is very unlikely that I will do anything early and focus on Mathematical Enrichment more? I will continue to do more difficult Maths because why shouldn't I? I do Maths because I love it and regardless if I need it for an exam it doesn't matter. I would much rather do Maths because I love it than to just get good marks in an exam. I don't care about being able to do exams. I care about doing more difficult Maths because I love it and want to challenge myself.

I teach maths at a high achieving school - none of the people advising you have studied the new GCSE - you need to focus on getting a grade 9 in that.

For enrichment get on the UKMT mentoring scheme or do these questions - I've helped at the summer school so know the sort of students that benefit. Read some books for interest - there is a lot of great maths outside the topics you learn in school. Ask you teacher for suggestions.
If you find GCSE maths very, very easy then yes
Original post by honeylooloo
if you don't revise from past papers then what do you do it from?

Read through the book to memorise techniques
I am considering asking my current GCSE teacher to give me some past paper questions and seeing how I do then. If I struggle, I will try and fix the mistakes and probably not have the objective of doing A-Level Maths early and just do the enrichment stuff involving Maths. I, of course, will still look into more challenging Maths but maybe not try and take any exams early. However, if I ace it; then I could convince my teacher to either let me take a few A-Level classes with the Sixth Form or let me fast-track my GCSE Maths so I can concentrate on AS Maths. I could do my GCSE in January and start AS from then on. If this becomes an option, I will also do enrichment and might also take the new GCSE with my peers to have the relevant qualifications.
I am considering asking my current GCSE teacher to give me some past paper questions and seeing how I do then. If I struggle, I will try and fix the mistakes and probably not have the objective of doing A-Level Maths early and just do the enrichment stuff involving Maths. I, of course, will still look into more challenging Maths but maybe not try and take any exams early. However, if I ace it; then I could convince my teacher to either let me take a few A-Level classes with the Sixth Form or let me fast-track my GCSE Maths so I can concentrate on AS Maths. I could do my GCSE in January and start AS from then on. If this becomes an option, I will also do enrichment and might also take the new GCSE with my peers to have the relevant qualifications.

Also consider that, since you're showing potential to do amazingly, it's not enough for you to get an A. You should be chasing every single UMS you can

You won't be able to take your GCSE Maths in January, you'll have to wait until June.

Honestly, if you were genuinely capable your teacher would've identified it by now - ask about doing Maths next June and some enrichment opportunities but apart from that just stay with what you've got.

Potentially look at L3 Algebra, Additional Maths or AQA Further Maths.
Original post by jamestg
You won't be able to take your GCSE Maths in January, you'll have to wait until June.

Honestly, if you were genuinely capable your teacher would've identified it by now - ask about doing Maths next June and some enrichment opportunities but apart from that just stay with what you've got.

Potentially look at L3 Algebra, Additional Maths or AQA Further Maths.

Doing Further Maths. My school isn't really that great and I've had my teacher for about 6 weeks so maybe it is true but not necessarily.

Quick Reply

Latest