The Student Room Group

religious people- If you found out that your religion wasn't...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by judogainz
worst case scenario

Yes, ultimately God's the judge. As a christian, I believe that if you choose not to accept that Jesus died for your sins then you choose to be apart from God as your sin separates you. So when you die, you can't spend eternity with God in heaven, you go to where there is no God, commonly known as Hell. It's sad but your choice I guess :frown:
Original post by Wadeca
Yes, ultimately God's the judge. As a christian, I believe that if you choose not to accept that Jesus died for your sins then you choose to be apart from God as your sin separates you. So when you die, you can't spend eternity with God in heaven, you go to where there is no God, commonly known as Hell. It's sad but your choice I guess :frown:

thats ****ed up
Reply 22
Original post by Wadeca

wow, such a negative view on life. So you're only worshipping God to go to your final destination and you're scared that you'd go to hell if you don't?
Reply 23
Original post by loveleest
wow, such a negative view on life. So you're only worshipping God to go to your final destination and you're scared that you'd go to hell if you don't?

Haha no, that was 'worst case scenario, it doesn't have to be like that. John 3v16: 'For God so loved the world that he sent his only son that whoever believed in him shall not die but have everlasting life'. I worship a God that's saved me from my sin and who loves me. It's a friendship, but the closest and most secure friendship you can ever have, one generated through love, not fear! :smile:
I'd be happy the way i lived tbh
well you'd be dead either way so it wouldn't really matter
Reply 26
Original post by driftawaay
This is true.

You lose consciousness when you die, so you will never get to find out that your religion was just a fairytale. :h:

Yes but some people believe in the 'after life'
Reply 27
I'd be fine because I know it made me into a good person at the very least. I'd be open about it.

Shame the same can't be said for some other religions though.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
I used to study Physics at AS level. It was a subject I was not really good in, but I did it any way because I felt it was an important subject which would help me get into the university course I wanted (chemical engineering).

I didn't do well in Physics, in the end. However, I can be comforted in the fact that I did learn some new things which I found interesting, and that at least I tried doing well. It's far better than not having studied the subject or not putting any effort in doing well at all.

Thats great but how about if your degree lasted your entire lifetime and all the opportunity cost of pursuing it?

There is no polite way of telling a man they dedicated their life to a folly and i think that if a person realised that at the end or in some afterlife, they would be crushed beyond recognition

A little bit like when a married couple of many years and one dies, then the other finds out that their partner had an affair on them which they never found out about. Joker voice "Youve changggedd things, FORUVVER"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 29
That's difficult question because when you believe in a religion you believe that the religion you are following is the correct one otherwise you won't be believing I'm that religion. As for me I am Muslim and I truly believe that Islam is the correct religion as we believe in only one God and his books, his prophets and the last day which is judgement day. Our prophet told us that even before you die the devil will come to you and tell you that your loved ones are burning in hell as they followed the wrong religion and get you to change your religion. The devil will also try to come in the form of someone who you loved and that's dead one and say don't follow your religion. It's the wrong one. So personally I believe that Islam is the religion that has always been here since time and it's the correct one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, if it turns out there was no God, I'd have still have hopefully led a good and fulfilling life.
Original post by Wadeca
I'm a christian and if I died and it turned out there wasn't a God, either:
a) I'd be dead and so wouldn't realize
b) I'd still feel I'd spent a happy and fulfilled life doing my best to love and care for others and have fun.

It'd be no loss honestly!:smile:

Well unless you're in hell for worshiping a false god
Original post by i<3milkshake
I don't think most people care about the "correct" one. I mean a religious person will worship God in their life and if they get to heaven and they are different from expected who cares? Oh no, God is slightly different. They will still be pretty much the same-the creator of the universe and so on.

If you get to the afterlife most people will simply say "great, I have eternal life here now" not "oh no, I worshiped the Christian God but this is actually Allah, with no Trinity:frown:. Best go back to rot in the ground".

If there is no God all of us will be nothing for eternity, an unspeakably long time, so none of us have anything to celebrate. You can laugh at someone for devoting a small amount of time to a man made god, but ultimately we will all be nothing but dust for eternity. Thus there is nothing to be smug about-you may have got the right call about their being a God or not but you hardly have won anything or are better off because of it.

If there is no God you won't be feeling anything at all. Obviously.

What a ridiculous post. Most people don't care whether they worship the correct God? Is that why countless wars have been waged simply become other people worshipped the wrong God? Is that why you still have people continuously arguing that their God is the only true one?

Not to mention that a lot of religious texts proclaim that if you have the misfortune of choosing the wrong God then you will spend eternity in hell.
So yes I would think that "most" people should care.

But yes actually we can be smug. If there were no God then we have saved countless hours not praying or giving up the things we love simply because a mythical man told us to. How many people have dedicated their lives to God? How many people have died for God?

I think you're a very naive and misinformed person tbh.
Reply 33
Original post by IamJacksContempt
What a ridiculous post. Most people don't care whether they worship the correct God? Is that why countless wars have been waged simply become other people worshipped the wrong God? Is that why you still have people continuously arguing that their God is the only true one?

Not to mention that a lot of religious texts proclaim that if you have the misfortune of choosing the wrong God then you will spend eternity in hell.
So yes I would think that "most" people should care.

But yes actually we can be smug. If there were no God then we have saved countless hours not praying or giving up the things we love simply because a mythical man told us to. How many people have dedicated their lives to God? How many people have died for God?

I think you're a very naive and misinformed person tbh.

Yes! That was the point I was trying to get across. Muslims are told to pray 5 times a day which would have summed up to about at least a couple of years gone to waste throughout their lifetime..

And If they found out that God isn't real then...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Thats great but how about if your degree lasted your entire lifetime and all the opportunity cost of pursuing it?

There is no polite way of telling a man they dedicated their life to a folly and i think that if a person realised that at the end or in some afterlife, they would be crushed beyond recognition

A little bit like when a married couple of many years and one dies, then the other finds out that their partner had an affair on them which they never found out about. Joker voice "Youve changggedd things, FORUVVER"
I can't study all the degrees in the world, and I'm quite sure a potential employer, if he sees my extensive CV with all these degrees, will say: "well from all of this I think you're undecided on what you want, and so I'm unfortunately going to decline your application because you're not the candidate which we want."

So what I do need to do is to make an informed, rational decision weighing in all the possible information I can gather, to decide which degree to study - and to excel in this degree. So that when I do apply for a job, I will be doing so having the utmost confidence in my application being successful, given all my preparations.
Reply 35
Original post by IamJacksContempt
Well unless you're in hell for worshiping a false god

I get your point, I mean I don't believe that'll happen but at least I'll have lived a fulfilled life on earth.
Reply 36
Original post by loveleest
Yes! That was the point I was trying to get across. Muslims are told to pray 5 times a day which would have summed up to about at least a couple of years gone to waste throughout their lifetime..

And If they found out that God isn't real then...

Jews people pray 3 times a day. And I don't think praying 5 times a day is actually waste of time. It's at different times and we don't even get tired of doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can't study all the degrees in the world, and I'm quite sure a potential employer, if he sees my extensive CV with all these degrees, will say: "well from all of this I think you're undecided on what you want, and so I'm unfortunately going to decline your application because you're not the candidate which we want."

So what I do need to do is to make an informed, rational decision weighing in all the possible information I can gather, to decide which degree to study - and to excel in this degree. So that when I do apply for a job, I will be doing so having the utmost confidence in my application being successful, given all my preparations.

Im not sure you understand what i mean. If you chased the Physics degree all your life which you didnt enjoy until your old age sacrificing much better opportunities and quality of life elsewhere in your misguided belief that it was the right one only to find it was all a lie / no truth at the end. You would be pretty gutted. Sure you could take some silver linings from the experience but objectively you sacrificed your life for nothing

Comparing the wrong decision of living your life according to a god that ultimately turns out is not real is not the same as making a good decision with the information available at the time (Physics degree) that doesnt turn out well after 2 or 3 years.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Betelgeuse-
Im not sure you understand what i mean. If you chased the Physics degree all your life which you didnt enjoy until your old age sacrificing much better opportunities and quality of life elsewhere in your misguided belief that it was the right one only to find it was all a lie / no truth at the end. You would be pretty gutted. Sure you could take some silver linings from the experience but objectively you sacrificed your life for nothing

Comparing the wrong decision of living your life according to a god that ultimately turns out is not real is not the same as making a good decision with the information available at the time (Physics degree) that doesnt turn out well after 2 or 3 years.
Who said that my degree was in Physics?
Who said that my degree was in Physics?

You said you did Physics because it was right at the time.

"I didn't do well in Physics, in the end. However, I can be comforted in the fact that I did learn some new things which I found interesting, and that at least I tried doing well. It's far better than not having studied the subject or not putting any effort in doing well at all."

Judging by the number of likes its getting people cannot see the flaw between making a short term good decision that has undesirable results with devoting their whole entire life to a belief which turns out wrong

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending