The Student Room Group

A Level Economics

Hey everyone! I was just wondering for A Level economics do you need to be good at English Language and English Literature? Is it essay based or maths heavy? I am not very good in the English side but I am very good in the maths side so would this decrease my chances of getting the grades I want (A for AS and A* for A2) in economics?
Also what do you learn about in Economics? I know some of the stuff but need to know more so I know if this is the right subject for me :smile:
I have taken AS economics and got an A, I can tell you there's no maths at all and is an essay subject no doubt. Being good at maths won't help.

Having said that I'm not particularly good at essay writing or English literature or language and there is very little need to be particularly good at them, there is a strong need to be able to understand what is going on and demonstrate this clearly.

I would say go for it, it will only improve your essay skills and it is a fun subject.

The definition of economics is the study of human decision making,

You learn the basic economic problem:
There are infinite wants and finite resources.

Everything stems from this, supply and demand, the factors that affect and determine supply and demand.
The macroeconomy, so GDP international competitiveness etc...

It's hard to say succinctly I would look at the specification for various exam boards and look generally at things that make no sense.

It's crazy the amount students who think economics is about money, there is very little about finance in economics.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Thediplomat56
I have taken AS economics and got an A, I can tell you there's no maths at all and is an essay subject no doubt. Being good at maths won't help.

Having said that I'm not particularly good at essay writing or English literature or language and there is very little need to be particularly good at them, there is a strong need to be able to understand what is going on and demonstrate this clearly.

I would say go for it, it will only improve your essay skills and it is a fun subject.

Oh okk! Because I want to have a career in finance so was thinking about doing economics :smile: what do you learn in economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeena_hunt5476
Oh okk! Because I want to have a career in finance so was thinking about doing economics :smile: what do you learn in economics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry see above I realised I didn't answer all of your questions and was mid-edit when you replied!

Just to add about finance, although economics at A-level has very little maths and very little to do with finance, economics I the mother subject of finance so doing economics is very important if you want to do finance. Additionally there is a lot more maths in a university economics and finance , so having further maths A2 is very beneficial. This means if you're going on to study at university having a strong maths background is important even though it isn't at A-level

Posted from TSR Mobile

A bit of a ramble sorry! But I hope it helped.

The definition of economics is the study of human decision making,

You learn the basic economic problem:
There are infinite wants and finite resources.

Everything stems from this, supply and demand, the factors that affect and determine supply and demand.
The macroeconomy, so GDP international competitiveness etc...

It's hard to say succinctly I would look at the specification for various exam boards and look generally at things that make no sense.

It's crazy the amount students who think economics is about money, there is very little about finance in economics.

How did you get an A? Did you do Aqa paper?
Sorry see above I realised I didn't answer all of your questions and was mid-edit when you replied!

Just to add about finance, although economics at A-level has very little maths and very little to do with finance, economics I the mother subject of finance so doing economics is very important if you want to do finance. Additionally there is a lot more maths in a university economics and finance , so having further maths A2 is very beneficial. This means if you're going on to study at university having a strong maths background is important even though it isn't at A-level

Haha yup I know :smile: Im not sure if I want to study economics in university but definitely do want to take it as an A Level. It does seem very interesting and does seem like a fun subject. Im just worried about the essays etc because I am not very good at them :| is it an easy subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Even though you don't need maths for Eco A level, for a finance career or further study, maths is crucial, more than anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
A bit of a ramble sorry! But I hope it helped.

Helped a lot thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bookertj
Even though you don't need maths for Eco A level, for a finance career or further study, maths is crucial, more than anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yup thats what I am choosing maths and further maths + economics haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup thats what I am choosing maths and further maths + economics haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats why*

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending