The Student Room Group

What is the attendance like on your course?

There is 25 on my uni course, the usual class size is about 10. People just don't prioritize lectures. Is this the same for everyone else?
My course has compulsory 100% attendance, cant miss more than 5 days worth of lectures a year so everybody is always there.
However, for my HND from the second year onwards, around half the people were missing on a bad day.
Original post by Hevachan
There is 25 on my uni course, the usual class size is about 10. People just don't prioritize lectures. Is this the same for everyone else?

mine was too big to count, but attendance was poor in the mornings in lectures. It didn't seem too bad in the afternoons.
Reply 3
We need to have 80% attendance on our course otherwise we don't get funded!! But one month in, 100% attendance :smile: but the rules don't say anything about falling asleep in them 😂😂
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
My course has compulsory 100% attendance, cant miss more than 5 days worth of lectures a year so everybody is always there.

I finished last month, but this was the case on my course, we had a few have to take a year out due to illness for this reason!
Original post by HanaGEM
I finished last month, but this was the case on my course, we had a few have to take a year out due to illness for this reason!

I've delibrately tried to make better healthier food choices and done more exercise in the hope that i dont get ill at all this winter.
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
I've delibrately tried to make better healthier food choices and done more exercise in the hope that i dont get ill at all this winter.

Then its having a positive effect :biggrin: I managed 100% attendence at uni, but did miss a couple of days placement due to a bug, not bad for 3 years imo
Original post by HanaGEM
Then its having a positive effect :biggrin: I managed 100% attendence at uni, but did miss a couple of days placement due to a bug, not bad for 3 years imo

That is pretty impressive :smile: fingers crossed i can manage something close myself
Generally it's 100% other than the one or two off ill. Most of my lectures are mandatory and missing 2 or more, without good reason, means that you fail the module.

That said, I've only got two lectures a week. :lol:
Reply 9

We have 20 in my seminar group, and there have been days where im the only one in the seminar... and theres some people I am yet to meet
Reply 10
Original post by Roving Fish
Generally it's 100% other than the one or two off ill. Most of my lectures are mandatory and missing 2 or more, without good reason, means that you fail the module.

That said, I've only got two lectures a week. :lol:

Wow that's tough! My lecturer always says they can't do that because it's not a professional/nhs bursary course... I wonder why it's different for you? :smile:
Wow that's tough! My lecturer always says they can't do that because it's not a professional/nhs bursary course... I wonder why it's different for you? :smile:

They said that they do it to reflect the attendance requirement of the professional environment. :erm:
Reply 12
My course is around 150 people (Physics first year), and although the lectures are compulsory, they don't record attendance in any way so especially for Wednesday 9:30 lectures (Tuesday is the big night out round by me), there can be as few as 70 people turning up. In fairness, it's very easy for us to catch up as all lectures are recorded and posted on our virtual learning environment.
Reply 13
They said that they do it to reflect the attendance requirement of the professional environment. :erm:

Oh makes sense! ^^ still quite tough especially for mature students
Oh makes sense! ^^ still quite tough especially for mature students

It's a recent thing... Our mature students have been good with it though - we've even got one mature student on our course who travels an hour and a half between her home with kids and uni. Frequently in meltdown, but we love her and support her!
Reply 15
It's a recent thing... Our mature students have been good with it though - we've even got one mature student on our course who travels an hour and a half between her home with kids and uni. Frequently in meltdown, but we love her and support her!

Oh wow that's impressive :smile: I wish my course was like that :') although there are some people who just moan about wanting to go home all day. If there's group work they're like 'let's do it really quick and go home' and when the teacher talks about finishing times they say 2pm (we finish at 3:30 T_T). They don't get their own way but it's really annoying xD
Oh wow that's impressive :smile: I wish my course was like that :':wink: although there are some people who just moan about wanting to go home all day. If there's group work they're like 'let's do it really quick and go home' and when the teacher talks about finishing times they say 2pm (we finish at 3:30 T_T). They don't get their own way but it's really annoying xD

I hate people who bitch about being in all day. We have one lecture which can be 3 hours, can be 9am to 9pm (group pressure challenge). Some people bitch to hell about tthe latter. Nope. Not today thank you.
Reply 18
I hate people who bitch about being in all day. We have one lecture which can be 3 hours, can be 9am to 9pm (group pressure challenge). Some people bitch to hell about tthe latter. Nope. Not today thank you.

Wow that is long Haha but yeah it makes it harder to push through when people are moaning
We have about 20 student..I think...and about half attend, The same people are always never in. And when they do attend its so random. They come in the morning then leave after noon, vice versa. In 2 days 1 week, next week in half a day etc!

Quick Reply

Latest