The Student Room Group

religious people- If you found out that your religion wasn't...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Betelgeuse-
You said you did Physics because it was right at the time.

"I didn't do well in Physics, in the end. However, I can be comforted in the fact that I did learn some new things which I found interesting, and that at least I tried doing well. It's far better than not having studied the subject or not putting any effort in doing well at all."

Judging by the number of likes its getting people cannot see the flaw between making a short term good decision that has undesirable results with devoting their whole entire life to a belief which turns out wrong
That analogy was comparing an AS level subject with a degree. We were comparing degrees with graduate employment.

There isn't a flaw.
Original post by Wadeca
I'm a christian and if I died and it turned out there wasn't a God, either:
a) I'd be dead and so wouldn't realize
b) I'd still feel I'd spent a happy and fulfilled life doing my best to love and care for others and have fun.

It'd be no loss honestly!:smile:

This implies either the Christian God exists or none does. But what if the real God is Odin for example?
Original post by Waliid
Jews people pray 3 times a day. And I don't think praying 5 times a day is actually waste of time. It's at different times and we don't even get tired of doing it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is wishful thinking. There are over a billion muslims in the world, of course there are some who get tired of it and see it as a chore.
Reply 43
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
This is wishful thinking. There are over a billion muslims in the world, of course there are some who get tired of it and see it as a chore.

Praying is act of worship and praying 5 times is not a lot because you pray at different times. If you were to pray all the prayers at once then that would be tiring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
That analogy was comparing an AS level subject with a degree. We were comparing degrees with graduate employment.

There isn't a flaw.

Its gone over your head what I am trying to say. Maybe its not as easy to understand as i thought
Its gone over your head what I am trying to say. Maybe its not as easy to understand as i thought
No, you're just trying to attack the analogy and not it's underlying points. In the first, the degree was the desired end point. In the second, the graduate job was the desired end point.

Yes, my analogies are not easy to understand.
No, you're just trying to attack the analogy and not it's underlying points. In the first, the degree was the desired end point. In the second, the graduate job was the desired end point.

No you have failed to understand my further analogy to yours and explanation as to why yours failed

Im leading a horse to water but its not intelligent enough or willing to drink
No you have failed to understand my further analogy to yours and explanation as to why yours failed

Im leading a horse to water but its not intelligent enough or willing to drink
The horse is actually a camel, but the leader does not know because he is in fact blind - which is also a reason why he is not aware that there no water in the first place.
Reply 48
This implies either the Christian God exists or none does. But what if the real God is Odin for example?

I get your point, I mean I don't believe that'll happen but if it does, at least I'll have lived a fulfilled life on earth.
The horse is actually a camel, but the leader does not know because he is in fact blind - which is also a reason why he is not aware that there no water in the first place.

I can't study all the Camels in the world, and I'm quite sure a potential Horse, if he sees my extensive blindness with all these camels, will say: "well from all of this I think you're undecided on what you want, and so I'm unfortunately going to decline your leadership because you're not the horse man which we want."
I used to study Physics at AS level. It was a subject I was not really good in, but I did it any way because I felt it was an important subject which would help me get into the university course I wanted (chemical engineering).

I didn't do well in Physics, in the end. However, I can be comforted in the fact that I did learn some new things which I found interesting, and that at least I tried doing well. It's far better than not having studied the subject or not putting any effort in doing well at all.

Thats great but how about if your degree lasted your entire lifetime and all the opportunity cost of pursuing it?

There is no polite way of telling a man they dedicated their life to a folly and i think that if a person realised that at the end or in some afterlife, they would be crushed beyond recognition

I can't study all the degrees in the world, and I'm quite sure a potential employer, if he sees my extensive CV with all these degrees, will say: "well from all of this I think you're undecided on what you want, and so I'm unfortunately going to decline your application because you're not the candidate which we want."

So what I do need to do is to make an informed, rational decision weighing in all the possible information I can gather, to decide which degree to study - and to excel in this degree. So that when I do apply for a job, I will be doing so having the utmost confidence in my application being successful, given all my preparations.

LOOL WTF IS THIS ^^^^^^^. WHY ARE U TALKING ABOUT ALL THE DEGREES IN THE WORLD???
Im not sure you understand what i mean. If you chased the Physics degree all your life which you didnt enjoy until your old age sacrificing much better opportunities and quality of life elsewhere in your misguided belief that it was the right one only to find it was all a lie / no truth at the end. You would be pretty gutted. Sure you could take some silver linings from the experience but objectively you sacrificed your life for nothing

Comparing the wrong decision of living your life according to a god that ultimately turns out is not real is not the same as making a good decision with the information available at the time (Physics degree) that doesnt turn out well after 2 or 3 years.

Who said that my degree was in Physics?

There isn't a flaw.

LOOL WTF IS THIS ^^^^^^^. WHY ARE U TALKING ABOUT ALL THE DEGREES IN THE WORLD???
That's a very good meme! I'm going to use it as well!

Reply 52
I am not religious, and I believe it is so unlikely as to be considered effectively impossible that any of the current religions is "correct" (I have heard that there is a possibility that if you walked at a wall for long enough, longer than the age of the universe, you would eventually expect to transport through it due to some quantum phenomenon - consider the probability of that occurring when you walk at a wall for only a second or so). But if there were some sort of higher power instrumental in the universe's inception, able to control our fates in some sort of "afterlife", and it was benevolent, then I'd like to think it would not be demanding of worship and adoration. The judgement of such a being would surely be based on much less trivial things.
Original post by IamJacksContempt
What a ridiculous post. Most people don't care whether they worship the correct God? Is that why countless wars have been waged simply become other people worshipped the wrong God? Is that why you still have people continuously arguing that their God is the only true one?

Not to mention that a lot of religious texts proclaim that if you have the misfortune of choosing the wrong God then you will spend eternity in hell.
So yes I would think that "most" people should care.

But yes actually we can be smug. If there were no God then we have saved countless hours not praying or giving up the things we love simply because a mythical man told us to. How many people have dedicated their lives to God? How many people have died for God?

I think you're a very naive and misinformed person tbh.

How many Christians in the UK or America show religious intolerance? Few. Most don't care. In the modern civilised world most Christians, Jews, Sikhs, Agnostics, Hindus, Buddhists, etc don't hold those of other faiths in contempt. In the past yes people cared, and one religion in particular still does, but on the whole most people don't actually care. That is my view anyway, agree to disagree.

And religious texts say a lot; again, most don't believe them to be the literal word of god and think they should be literally true. The bible talks of stoning; how many Christian nations do it? The Koran talks of stoning-and Muslims are much, MUCH more for Shariah law and so on than Christians.
So again, in my view the religious text argument is flawed. It is a fair point against those who believe the religious texts to be literally the word of God, but many do not.

And not all religious people spend "countless hours" praying. I mean just because a few people may dedicate their lives to God, a few may die for God, doesn't mean all religious people spend their days praying. So again, I disagree. You haven't really saved countless hours at all over religious people. Praying for many can simply be a few seconds each day. Setting your alarm 30 seconds earlier in the morning gets you back this oh so precious time. Speeding up your shower or not browsing the internet on your phone whilst on the toilet can save you much more time. So again, I disagree. Each to their own, but I think you are the naive and misinformed one.

Naive for thinking that most people in the UK of the aforementioned faiths really care that much about holy wars.
Naive and misinformed for thinking that religious people in the UK of the aforementioned groups take their holy book to be the literal word of God and thus they must follow it precisely, religious intolerance and the rest. If people did they would never work on a Sunday, not wear clothes of more than four materials and not eat bacon. But many do.
Naive and misinformed for thinking that religious people as a general rule in the UK spend more than a few seconds each day praying. If your time is really that precious, speed up your shower and bowel movement.
Tbh, I'm living my life happily with my belief, so no I won't regret it or whatever after I die. No point in me living the rest of my life worrying about what ifs.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
I am not religious, and I believe it is so unlikely as to be considered effectively impossible that any of the current religions is "correct" (I have heard that there is a possibility that if you walked at a wall for long enough, longer than the age of the universe, you would eventually expect to transport through it due to some quantum phenomenon - consider the probability of that occurring when you walk at a wall for only a second or so). But if there were some sort of higher power instrumental in the universe's inception, able to control our fates in some sort of "afterlife", and it was benevolent, then I'd like to think it would not be demanding of worship and adoration. The judgement of such a being would surely be based on much less trivial things.

The logic religion uses that if you don't accept God in your life, a short 60-70 years, you don't want in your life. if you don't want God in your life for that short time it would not be what you want to have God in your life for eternity.

There are flaws with this idea, sure, but I am just saying that is what religions argue. So if you disagree fine, understandable, don't shoot the messenger I'm just stating what I think they say on the matter.
Original post by loveleest
right after you died, how would you honestly feel? I am just wondering because there are at least 5 other religions than your own and if you die and find out it wasn't the 'correct' one would you feel as if you wasted your time? or would you still be okay with it?

5? try a few thousand.

In answer to the question, well if im wrong and theres no god, then im not going to care. If however i end up with one of those "jealous and vengeful gods" i suppose im gonna be up the creek
Original post by loveleest
Yes! That was the point I was trying to get across. Muslims are told to pray 5 times a day which would have summed up to about at least a couple of years gone to waste throughout their lifetime..

And If they found out that God isn't real then...

It wouldnt happen to muslims as they r on the correct & the best religion that is taught by Allah to us.. I would recommend u to read THE HOLY QURAAN once with its translation u will get the answer to many of ur questions.
Original post by Muhammad Shehzar
It wouldnt happen to muslims as they r on the correct & the best religion that is taught by Allah to us.. I would recommend u to read THE HOLY QURAAN once with its translation u will get the answer to many of ur questions.

This isn't going to convince anyone as all religious people say their religion is the correct and best one.
Reply 59
This isn't going to convince anyone as all religious people say their religion is the correct and best one.

That's true and come on who would say my religion is not the correct one. There are so many religions out there and that's why you research about them and look at their books and then choose. The Quran challenges people who disbelieve in it that God sent it down by saying "Produce a chapter like it" which is in chapter 2 of the Noble Quran. Until now no1 have been able to do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending