The Student Room Group

Why are Black grads less likely to get jobs than their white counterparts?

Scroll to see replies

I agree with you. I wonder why black people do degrees like media, dance, psychology, music, like tf Will you get a job from.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
It's based on stereotypes (partially founded) that blacks are more violent and less intelligent.
Look at yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Stop calling my people dumb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Subconsciously looking after their own.
racism
Original post by demx9
It's based on stereotypes (partially founded) that blacks are more violent and less intelligent.

What evidence is there for them being less intelligent?
Genuinely not being a dick but what proof is there of this?
Erm, source?

If you mean why black people have an unemployment rate of 13% whereas white people have an unemployment rate of 5% (in the UK 2014-2015 - source: ONS), then it's more to do with class, not race.

More likely to come from poor families and thus less likely to do well in education (than other ethnic groups), therefore more likely to be unemployed.
(edited 8 years ago)

They used an IQ test? As the old saying goes "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
They used an IQ test? As the old saying goes "If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree it will live its whole life believing it is stupid"

Posted from TSR Mobile

So how would you propose to do it ?
Original post by demx9
So how would you propose to do it ?

I don't have a solution. I'm just pointing out there are flaws in measuring intelligence by a test. For example, many artists tend to be dyslexic is it fair to judge them on their intelligence by using a spelling test? Some people are great at learning languages but have poor reasoning skills etc
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE
Hmm not many constructive comments here....

i mean it contradicts the whole ideology of meritocracy the uk espouses doesnt it? Rather than create a true "equality of opportunity" system, the powers that be imprison us more, racially profile us more, and do not intervene in black communities enough to help black youth. so many factors are against you if youre black due to this racist system

It has always been like this and always will be. As a colored graduate myself, I can see through this system.

I know a large number of ethnic minority graduates in non-graduate menial jobs in fact I can't think of anyone who has managed to get a graduate level job.
Reply 53
Original post by _icecream
As a colored graduate myself, I can see through this system.

Can you give an example where you can certainly say without doubt that you or someone you know was discriminated by race or other ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending