The Student Room Group

I can't feel morally right about contraception

Whereas most people have ambiguities about abortion, so that far into copulation/conception somewhere on the scale is where most people say, the interference of nature's course is wrong. Most people are somewhere into the early stages of conception here or whatever the abortion term limit is. But, whilst I am not like that ultra-conservative American woman who thinks masturbation is wrong and should be illegal, (for me this is insanity), I do find something morally distasteful about a society that believes in endless contraceptive sex, bearing no apparent connection to reproduction, being a 'right', and 'key part of life', a 'healthy sex life' etc etc. Gratification not security, rootedness or happiness springs to mind. I think it's interfering with nature and that there is something dishonest about the sex act that goes that far, is done for social kudos and approval, and yet contains the barrier that basically says 'I don't want your child or your genes to mix with mine'. If I want to gratify myself sexually, I can use fantasies and masturbation. This has nothing to do with stopping nature, in the same way homosexual activity does not. I am nowhere near the woman, so I am not stopping nature wheh I ejaculate. One thing I've not mentioned yet is how empty and futile contraceptive sex makes me feel anyway, just another thing bound to break up and no unity. It is less pleasurable than ******* and all about ego. It gives existential angst and a sense of drifting if you don't risk a kid and have it natural. It's very strange to dwell in a world where I am more morally and socially conservative than my parents, they'd have been more keen on me to have these contraceptive relationships, along with doctors etc, than I am. Even to smoke marijuana. I wish authority was not like this. I hate the vanity and futility of it. The logical conclusion of the wisdom around me is just to do it endlessly with no resolution, if I am already to deny that many babies. If that is the way fine, but I would take it all the way. If you already should have lots of sex and prevent reproduction, why have a child at all? The only reason left is some lame crap about not dying without them to look after you, and not because you actually have a moral problem with contraception. Basically, I want to know if anyone feels the same, if they can empathise with my thought process, am I missing out, what is your feelings on this paragraph and what advice do you have for me?

Scroll to see replies

I don't see any issue with contraception, personally. If you don't want to have sex for pleasure, that's your right and yes, there are many people out there who feel the same, so don't worry
Original post by Anonymous
Whereas most people have ambiguities about abortion, so that far into copulation/conception somewhere on the scale is where most people say, the interference of nature's course is wrong. Most people are somewhere into the early stages of conception here or whatever the abortion term limit is. But, whilst I am not like that ultra-conservative American woman who thinks masturbation is wrong and should be illegal, (for me this is insanity), I do find something morally distasteful about a society that believes in endless contraceptive sex, bearing no apparent connection to reproduction, being a 'right', and 'key part of life', a 'healthy sex life' etc etc. Gratification not security, rootedness or happiness springs to mind. I think it's interfering with nature and that there is something dishonest about the sex act that goes that far, is done for social kudos and approval, and yet contains the barrier that basically says 'I don't want your child or your genes to mix with mine'. If I want to gratify myself sexually, I can use fantasies and masturbation. This has nothing to do with stopping nature, in the same way homosexual activity does not. I am nowhere near the woman, so I am not stopping nature wheh I ejaculate. One thing I've not mentioned yet is how empty and futile contraceptive sex makes me feel anyway, just another thing bound to break up and no unity. It is less pleasurable than ******* and all about ego. It gives existential angst and a sense of drifting if you don't risk a kid and have it natural. It's very strange to dwell in a world where I am more morally and socially conservative than my parents, they'd have been more keen on me to have these contraceptive relationships, along with doctors etc, than I am. Even to smoke marijuana. I wish authority was not like this. I hate the vanity and futility of it. The logical conclusion of the wisdom around me is just to do it endlessly with no resolution, if I am already to deny that many babies. If that is the way fine, but I would take it all the way. If you already should have lots of sex and prevent reproduction, why have a child at all? The only reason left is some lame crap about not dying without them to look after you, and not because you actually have a moral problem with contraception. Basically, I want to know if anyone feels the same, if they can empathise with my thought process, am I missing out, what is your feelings on this paragraph and what advice do you have for me?

William Walker, cut it out, we all know this is probably you.

Have you ever been treated by a doctor, OP? That is interfering with nature too. You should never seek treatment for an illness ever again and let it progress unabated if you're opposed to interfering with nature. It's only fair. :tongue:

I can't believe I read all of that..
The only thing I agree with: "It is less pleasurable than ******* and all about ego", it is often about ego. But why would you abstain from one of the best pastimes of all?
Original post by georgiaswift
I don't see any issue with contraception, personally. If you don't want to have sex for pleasure, that's your right and yes, there are many people out there who feel the same, so don't worry

I am under pressure and stigmatized for it. I must have a small knob, or low confidence, or some tragic failing, or I must really be gay, You can't be celibut without this view, my life must be meaningless and empty. But meaningless and empty to me, is being a couple together for year after year with this all important, much touted 'sex life' which somehow has nothing to do with reproduction and ends with her going past her fertility. How can they know they don't need a child or it's so irrelevant if they never have had one, and doesn't something deep down in them know this wisdom(they want to be free of it) to be false? If I'm never having sex and some other couple is with contraception, I'm missing out, but am I really, we both don't have any kids. I presume some of the couples and people using contraception haveing so much sex like that, genuinely don't want to go to their grave with no kids, and intend to have them, so why is it such wisdom that it should be left so long, and why are you seen as a sad case if in your uni years or early twenties you wish to father a child, I couldn't do that, because it wasn't acceptable in middle class circles to father one at that age, I feel for their views. Now the women my age are nearly infertile, at least it is declining fast, and what I must do is have a child. It's perversely illogical.
Original post by multiratiunculae
I can't believe I read all of that..
The only thing I agree with: "It is less pleasurable than ******* and all about ego", it is often about ego. But why would you abstain from one of the best pastimes of all?

It's decadent, and I'm supposed to do it for years whilst never being 'saddled' with a human life to father, and the only time it's seen as appropriate to have it unprotected it's when women my age's fertility is virtually shot. I don't like the received wisdom of our age. Plus it isn't a great pleasure, pretty lame with a condom-I will say I've been with a black girl, no condom, and that's a whole different universe. Now we are talking something that is on another plane to *******.
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
It's decadent, and I'm supposed to do it for years whilst never being 'saddled' with a human life to father, and the only time it's seen as appropriate to have it unprotected it's when women my age's fertility is virtually shot. I don't like the received wisdom of our age. Plus it isn't a great pleasure, pretty lame with a condom-I will say I've been with a black girl, no condom, and that's a whole different universe. Now we are talking something that is on another plane to *******.

I am under pressure and stigmatized for it. I must have a small knob, or low confidence, or some tragic failing, or I must really be gay, You can't be celibut without this view, my life must be meaningless and empty. But meaningless and empty to me, is being a couple together for year after year with this all important, much touted 'sex life' which somehow has nothing to do with reproduction and ends with her going past her fertility. How can they know they don't need a child or it's so irrelevant if they never have had one, and doesn't something deep down in them know this wisdom(they want to be free of it) to be false? If I'm never having sex and some other couple is with contraception, I'm missing out, but am I really, we both don't have any kids. I presume some of the couples and people using contraception haveing so much sex like that, genuinely don't want to go to their grave with no kids, and intend to have them, so why is it such wisdom that it should be left so long, and why are you seen as a sad case if in your uni years or early twenties you wish to father a child, I couldn't do that, because it wasn't acceptable in middle class circles to father one at that age, I feel for their views. Now the women my age are nearly infertile, at least it is declining fast, and what I must do is have a child. It's perversely illogical.

Uh.. Dude. Did you forget to check Anonymous?

??

Yeh I do have similar feelings but you have forgotten about the risk of STIs with non-safe sex thats probably the main reason to use contraception.A lot of it has to do with our own selfishness I think a lot of people do want children but they can't look after them now(they may be in college or university and don't want to risk having their exams ruined and not being able to revise because they have a baby to look after) but they also find the opposite sex so attractive.

Generally contraception is tolerated as a sort of compromise in that it gives people a bit of a choice about whether they want a baby or not and helps stop excess abortion.

I think there is also the problem that if you got rid of contraception then the population would grow out of control as people keep on having lots of sex, we could certainly maintain more people(if resources were shared fairly) but I don't think we could maintain the birth rates of China(before one child policy) all across the world, which is what we would have if we didn't have contraception(we have been given strong instincts to have sex because infant mortality use to be very high and is still high in some poor countries and thus we needed to produce lots of children but now there is good medical care so hardly any infants die).

It is a very difficult issue and its something which has always been troubling me for many years(I certainly use to be strongly against contraception) but now I am not so sure.I am just concerned that if I had contraceptive sex then I would know that I could have stopped a baby being born but I know full well the consequences of not using contraception(STIs,baby etc) and the effect bringing up a baby would have on someone's life.I think is generally why a lot of people believe in delaying sex until you have a long relationship with someone or married but the problem is sexual attraction is so strong.Its not as if I am going to have the chance to have sex anyway but I doubt I would be able resist the advances of a hot girl.

I generally accept abortion as wrong as if nature has produced the baby then you are interfering with nature and stopping someone being born for your own selfish needs(at least with contraception there is only a small chance per each time you have sex a foetus would be made).I understand where you are coming from with nature, I am a bit of a pantheist I think of nature/universe as kind of an equivalent to God its what made us.
(edited 8 years ago)
Very thoughtful post, good on you for being honest and expressing yourself.

But I welcome the world to use more contraception, it should be encouraged, I shall direct you to one film: idiocracy even just the first few minutes will change your mind

The think is if you don't use a condom then it will literally change your entire life. While using condom does not give the same pleasure sex is still enjoyable.
The interference of nature's course is wrong? So I hope that each time you're ill you won't be taking any medicine and if some point in the future you get cancer you won't be going in for chemotherapy.
Original post by Romulus Augustus
The think is if you don't use a condom then it will literally change your entire life. While using condom does not give the same pleasure sex is still enjoyable.

Not true. What about the pill, the implant, the injection, the coil, to name just a few? That way you don't need to wear a condom and it feels great
Firstly, yes I stopped going anonymous, don't really mind.

Secondly why has this been moved to Society? It is so obviously a personal issue. I didn't post it as a generalized debate. Can the mods recognise this please?(I don't want it to be egos or an argument..but clearly it's my issue)
(edited 8 years ago)
I've been with a black girl, no condom, and that's a whole different universe. Now we are talking something that is on another plane to *******.

LMAO

I cant believe people are falling for this troll thread
Come back when you've got 12 children then we'll see how morally wrong you think it is :tongue:
Original post by Dalek1099

Generally contraception is tolerated as a sort of compromise in that it gives people a bit of a choice about whether they want a baby or not and helps stop excess abortion.

It doesn't. That's the problem, more sex ed, more contraception, more and more abortions

I'll reply to this later..
Your thought process is illogical if you are against contraception purely because it interferes with nature. I think you're being dishonest with yourself and that's not the true reason. You do things every single day that interferes with nature (and then comes the the philosophical argument as what counts as natural), you clearly just have hang ups about the act of sex not resulting in a child itself.
Original post by georgiaswift
Not true. What about the pill, the implant, the injection, the coil, to name just a few? That way you don't need to wear a condom and it feels great

Oh ya there are alternatives. but with pills you have to maybe hide them so your parents don't find out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending