The Student Room Group

Physics Question Helppp

A fish floats in water with its eye at the centre of an opaque walled full tank of water of circular cross section. When the fish look upwards, it can see a fish-eye view of the surrounding scene i.e. it is able to view the hemisphere of the scene above the water surface, and centred at the top of the tank. The diameter of the tank is 30 cm, and the critical angle for water is 48 degrees. At what depth below the surface of the water, d, must the fish be floating?

Spoiler

Reply 1
Original post by ChronicBoredom
A fish floats in water with its eye at the centre of an opaque walled full tank of water of circular cross section. When the fish look upwards, it can see a fish-eye view of the surrounding scene i.e. it is able to view the hemisphere of the scene above the water surface, and centred at the top of the tank. The diameter of the tank is 30 cm, and the critical angle for water is 48 degrees. At what depth below the surface of the water, d, must the fish be floating?

Spoiler

Sketch the situation and identify the right-angle triangle. tan 48 = opposite/adjacent where adjancent is d and opposite is the radius = diameter/2 = 30/2 = 15.
Original post by Zacken
Sketch the situation and identify the right-angle triangle. tan 48 = opposite/adjacent where adjancent is d and opposite is the radius = diameter/2 = 30/2 = 15.

I did sketch it... Why is the length of the cylinder divided by two equal to the radius of the circle. Aren't they independant things??
Oh wow, I didn't read the ques properly. The length of the tank is equal to the diameter of the circle (cross sectional area) of the tank I take it?
Reply 4
I did sketch it... Why is the length of the cylinder divided by two equal to the radius of the circle. Aren't they independant things??

Diameter, not length.
Reply 5
Oh wow, I didn't read the ques properly. The length of the tank is equal to the diameter of the circle (cross sectional area) of the tank I take it?

Exactement, although I would say more the diameter of the tank instead of the length. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending