The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Computer Science 2016 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Hi all, I was interested in doing computer science but am confused between the differences with the following courses:
Computer science, Computing and software engineering? It's also worth noting I didn't do A level maths, and would be applying to mid table Uni's
Any help very appreciated.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 21
whats the difference between comp sci. and comp engg. ?
Original post by alexp98
Hi all, I was interested in doing computer science but am confused between the differences with the following courses:
Computer science, Computing and software engineering? It's also worth noting I didn't do A level maths, and would be applying to mid table Uni's
Any help very appreciated.

If you didn't do Maths then it'll be very hard to apply to one of the top unis since Maths is required for them, including Imperial.

I think Software Engineering is about creating software in the most efficient, controlled and systematic way, whilst learning about all the things in development of a software.

On the other hand, Computer Science teaches you almost everything to do with Computers, ranging from solving tricky coding problems to researching artificial intelligence. I may be wrong so correct me.

Original post by avg4all
whats the difference between comp sci. and comp engg. ?

I think Computer Science is about the Maths and Science behind computer systems, so looking at algorithms to produce efficient software and systems.

I believe Computer Engineering is designing and building computer systems. Sounds pretty vague but when I mean "build a computer", I'm talking about building nanobots and other futuristic stuff like that. But I doubt we have a course called Computer Engineering in the UK. What you're looking for is Electrical Engineering, perhaps.
Original post by UnknownDude
If you didn't do Maths then it'll be very hard to apply to one of the top unis since Maths is required for them, including Imperial.

I think Software Engineering is about creating software in the most efficient, controlled and systematic way, whilst learning about all the things in development of a software.

On the other hand, Computer Science teaches you almost everything to do with Computers, ranging from solving tricky coding problems to researching artificial intelligence. I may be wrong so correct me.

I think Computer Science is about the Maths and Science behind computer systems, so looking at algorithms to produce efficient software and systems.

I believe Computer Engineering is designing and building computer systems. Sounds pretty vague but when I mean "build a computer", I'm talking about building nanobots and other futuristic stuff like that. But I doubt we have a course called Computer Engineering in the UK. What you're looking for is Electrical Engineering, perhaps.

Very informative and helpful, thanks. I'll have to research more about computer science than and ask some tutors at Uni what they think about me doing it without A level Maths. Thankfully I have around 3-4 good choices already
Original post by alexp98
Very informative and helpful, thanks. I'll have to research more about computer science than and ask some tutors at Uni what they think about me doing it without A level Maths. Thankfully I have around 3-4 good choices already

Do you do Computing, Physics, Electronics or Statistics? If so, try King's College London.
Hello! I applied for MEng Computing - I just got invited to interview! Very happy but also nervous! :tongue:
Original post by merrigold
Hello! I applied for MEng Computing - I just got invited to interview! Very happy but also nervous! :tongue:

When did you send the application?
Original post by lionbiscuit
When did you send the application?

Just before the Oxbridge deadline, I think the 13th :smile:
Reply 28

Congrats :biggrin:! I got invitation to an interview today aswell! When is your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Datta10
Congrats :biggrin:! I got invitation to an interview today aswell! When is your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done to you too! :tongue: On the 25th of November

Original post by Datta10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats! Got an acknowledgement email but no interview... :frown: Mind pm-ing your grades/predicted grades, so I can see if I'm worth interviewing? :smile:
Reply 31
Just before the Oxbridge deadline, I think the 13th :smile:

I sent mine on the 15th, this better mean I receive a reply tomorrow. I'm so impatient, checking my email every minute. Did you get notified from both UCAS and email that you got an interview?
Computer science
AS grades: AAAB (maths chemistry computing physics)
Predidcted: A*A*A (maths chemistry computing) and A in AS further maths (dropped physics)
Got all the acknowledgment emails but no offers/interviews yet :frown: sent on 15th Oct. so hopefully i'll hear something soon!
(edited 8 years ago)
No interview yet, sent my application early October.. Getting worried :tumble:
Reply 34
Do all the top unis interview for computer science?

I'm applying to bath, Durham, Nottingham, Exeter and Newcastle (I know Newcastle only does an informal one)
Reply 35
Any international applicants here?
Reply 36
Got an acknowledgement email from Imperial today
#relieved

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by SSD07
Do all the top unis interview for computer science?

I'm applying to bath, Durham, Nottingham, Exeter and Newcastle (I know Newcastle only does an informal one)

I've applied to Durham and they don't interview - that's actually one of the reasons I applied.
Reply 38
Original post by lordyP
Computer science
AS grades: AAAB (maths chemistry computing physics)
Predidcted: A*A*A (maths chemistry computing) and A in AS further maths (dropped physics)
Got all the acknowledgment emails but no offers/interviews yet :frown: sent on 15th Oct. so hopefully i'll hear something soon!

where have you applied??
Well done to you too! :tongue: On the 25th of November

I got it too! See you all there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending