The Student Room Group

Should I take Maths AS-Level at 14?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maths465Man
Doing Further Maths. My school isn't really that great and I've had my teacher for about 6 weeks so maybe it is true but not necessarily.

What about teachers from previous years?
Original post by jamestg
What about teachers from previous years?

My Year 9 teacher actually said that I was probably better at Maths than all of his A-Level class, which is why I responded to your comment. However, he said that he thought it was impractical to have been studying A-Level Maths without even studying any of my other subjects for GCSE. My Headteacher worried that I would lack social skills and I would find it too difficult. However, if I perform well in a past paper and convince my teachers that my social skills are adequate, then I believe I could start doing some A-Level Maths. I could start studying for A-Level right now and for GCSE and take the exam in June for GCSE after doing a year of A-Level. My teacher could enter me for A-Levels at the same time as GCSE.
My Year 9 teacher actually said that I was probably better at Maths than all of his A-Level class, which is why I responded to your comment. However, he said that he thought it was impractical to have been studying A-Level Maths without even studying any of my other subjects for GCSE. My Headteacher worried that I would lack social skills and I would find it too difficult. However, if I perform well in a past paper and convince my teachers that my social skills are adequate, then I believe I could start doing some A-Level Maths. I could start studying for A-Level right now and for GCSE and take the exam in June for GCSE after doing a year of A-Level. My teacher could enter me for A-Levels at the same time as GCSE.

I don't think the social aspect is a big issue. You're only taking one AS level early
Original post by Student403
I don't think the social aspect is a big issue. You're only taking one AS level early

I agree but my teachers were concerned.
I agree but my teachers were concerned.

Would you be sitting in classes with A level students, or doing this in your own time with teachers one on one?
Would you be sitting in classes with A level students, or doing this in your own time with teachers one on one?

Well, it could be either. My teacher teaches his Sixth Form class mainly in the 7th Period so I could be with them there as my curriculum last only 6 Periods. However, I don't mind being one-on-one with my teacher as they would both suit me fine. I would of course miss some lessons with the Sixth Form but that isn't major as I could mix these both up and have after-school sessions with my teachers to catch up on any of the work that I have missed because of my other studies.
Well, it could be either. My teacher teaches his Sixth Form class mainly in the 7th Period so I could be with them there as my curriculum last only 6 Periods. However, I don't mind being one-on-one with my teacher as they would both suit me fine. I would of course miss some lessons with the Sixth Form but that isn't major as I could mix these both up and have after-school sessions with my teachers to catch up on any of the work that I have missed because of my other studies.

I'm surprised then that they are considering social issues. I wouldn't think taking a single AS level early would have that big an impact
I'm surprised then that they are considering social issues. I wouldn't think taking a single AS level early would have that big an impact

I think that my school doesn't really know how to handle this sort of thing as it doesn't really fit into their organised ethos. Some of my teachers would probably not want me to do A-Levels early as it could mess up the structure of the school and having something that is slightly out of place.
I think that my school doesn't really know how to handle this sort of thing as it doesn't really fit into their organised ethos. Some of my teachers would probably not want me to do A-Levels early as it could mess up the structure of the school and having something that is slightly out of place.

My friend did GCSE in year 9, then worked on A level maths in year 10 and 11, took it in year 11. He then took 4 modules of FM in lower 6th and is doing the rest this year. Just thought I'd pitch in to say that it's possible, although his timetable is rather weird. He doesn't lack any social skills either.
(edited 8 years ago)
The problem that is concerning me the most is not doing it early will be too difficult, but that I will miss out on things because of the government's reforms. As of my age, I will be the first year to do the new A-Levels therefore meaning if I do it early, I will have a different qualification and knowledge to everyone else. Will this affect my university applications and my university experience as others will have different information to me?
Focus soley on your GCSE's. No need to take AS early.
C1 in maths AS isn't so much harder but coming to C2/S1/M1/D1 is a different story entirely. These are difficult and intended for A-level students.
The problem that is concerning me the most is not doing it early will be too difficult, but that I will miss out on things because of the government's reforms. As of my age, I will be the first year to do the new A-Levels therefore meaning if I do it early, I will have a different qualification and knowledge to everyone else. Will this affect my university applications and my university experience as others will have different information to me?

The A-level reforms are hardly different as they currently are. Maths is still maths and maybe they may add/take away a topic or two or change the order. You won't have different knowledge if you did the A-level now or the new reforms. Don't let people fool you into thinking the reforms are completely different because they're not.
The new A-level sciences I've seen are exactly the same topics as what I do doing the old specification just in different orders.
There's a kid at my school who has done every single maths paper , and is doing as at year 11. Tbh , it's better to enrich your mathematical ability than to accelerate ahead.
Hi all,

I am 14 years old and currently studying my GCSE subjects including Maths. However, I am able to lots of the units in the Maths AS-Level book and feel that I could be successful if I did an AS exam. However, because of the recent changes in GCSE, I am unable to take my Maths GCSE early meaning that it could be the situation, if I take the exam, that I have A-Level Maths before GCSE level Maths. Should I do AS-Level Maths knowing I will have to do it outside of school as there isn't time within my curriculum? I really enjoy Maths and would like to hear your feedback.

Thanks.

If you find it easy enough and don't have to expend too much time on it, then sure, just take it. There's no reason why you can't do both UKMT enrichment and take a few AS modules at the same time if you want to, as long as you don't feel like you're overloading yourself.
Hello All,

I have made a decision which is to do my A-Level Maths early. However, I now face only one more problem (other than the actual course). Where should I do the A-Level? I have previously discussed in the post about asking my teacher to let me do it, but I am unsure if this is the greatest way. Any feedback please about where I should take it as I am completely ignorant at present towards this situation.

Thanks.
I have made a decision which is to do my A-Level Maths early. However, I now face only one more problem (other than the actual course). Where should I do the A-Level? I have previously discussed in the post about asking my teacher to let me do it, but I am unsure if this is the greatest way. Any feedback please about where I should take it as I am completely ignorant at present towards this situation.

By far the cheapest and easiest place to take it will be at your current school. If you are convinced that this is a good idea then try there first.

Quick Reply

Latest