The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

My favourite pro veganism quotation!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yellow 03
This is very true. The horrors that take place in factory farms and slaughterhouses are unimaginable...:frown:

Also I have no doubt there are psychopaths working in those slaughterhouses, much like this disgusting excuse for a human being.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2010/oct/07/animal-welfare-abuse-slaughterhouse

How can you hurt an animal like that? what gives you the right to do that to a poor animal? just for the sake of food and your own pleasure. :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
If you wouldnt do it in person you shouldnt online, there is still a person behind the screen whom youre accusing of being as bad as a rapist or paedophile even if that is what you believe
I am personally quite compasionate if i say so myself and i really dont think that eating meat takes away from that but thats just my opinion
Original post by LaMandarine
I agree with you. We are overfishing and overproducing meat, and what some companies do to animals is atrocious, but let us not forget, not all farmers are the same. The idea to criminalise them all based on several videos of what others are doing is unfair.

Yeah I'm with you! I think that what a lot of local farmers do is fine and that it is true 'free range'. The reason I am vegetarian is because this is such a small part of the meat industry in reality. I know that being me being vegetarian isn't going to change anything but not supporting the industry makes me feel better inside. It's hard for me to see people who eat meat as evil like some in this thread do, just a different perspective morally I guess.
Im not going to watch the video, i know what happens to the animals and coincedentaly had to watch a video in philosophy on the subject
Original post by BekahMay
If you wouldnt do it in person you shouldnt online, there is still a person behind the screen whom youre accusing of being as bad as a rapist or paedophile even if that is what you believe
I am personally quite compasionate if i say so myself and i really dont think that eating meat takes away from that but thats just my opinion

I think it does to be honest, don't you think it's immoral to do ^ (what I just posted) to an animal? if you don't, you're not compassionate.

Even if the animals are being killed in a 'painless' way (not true...but anyway) how do you feel putting a living being who is aware of it's surroundings in the situation where it knows it's just moments away from it's death. Then you eat it? If you do that and say your compassionate, you are wrong!
This is what I was talking about in my post.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Also I have no doubt there are psychopaths working in those slaughterhouses, much like the disgusting excuse for a human being.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2010/oct/07/animal-welfare-abuse-slaughterhouse

How can you hurt an animal like that? what gives you the right to do that to a poor animal? just for the sake of food and your own pleasure. :frown:

I agree. I don't think it's possible to be emotionally intact and go to work every day in the midst of so much harrowing suffering and torture. For most people this would be an unbearable reality to witness.
Well maybe i am a hypocrite but i can be compassionate, i like meat, that isnt going to change, and i know the industry is wrong and unfair and terrible but it certainly doesn't equate me to a rapist or paedophile because i eat the food i like
I agree. I don't think it's possible to be emotionally intact and go to work every day in the midst of so much harrowing suffering and torture. For most people this would be an unbearable reality to witness.

Yet they are the cause of it. :frown: I think meat-eaters should visit slaughter houses
Ill make a note of that for if the time comes :smile:
Original post by Louisb19
Yeah I'm with you! I think that what a lot of local farmers do is fine and that it is true 'free range'. The reason I am vegetarian is because this is such a small part of the meat industry in reality. I know that being me being vegetarian isn't going to change anything but not supporting the industry makes me feel better inside. It's hard for me to see people who eat meat as evil like some in this thread do, just a different perspective morally I guess.

I also agree with you!

I was raised in a family of chefs, and my grandfather is a farmer (he's not selling goods, but he's harvesting and raising his own ones for all of us) so we have a culture for good food, and also respecting animals. He takes very good care of his hens (having more than 90 now, grazing happily and freely in his garden...and ruining his salads :giggle:) and whenever I visit him I help him out to chop wood and make new barns for them and the rabbits (he breeds rabbits to give them as pets every Easter; they're also very effective when it comes to getting rid of the excess hay so that it won't spoil :lol:). I love animals and care for them, but at the end of the day I will not deny that I was born an omnivore. In the same way that you find on the internet videos of cats taking care of chicks, I also like taking care of what is roughly considered "pray". I like to think that doesn't make me a savage.

Even though I am a student, I don't eat meat and eggs very often (80% of what is on my plate is always veg, and I'd say 60-70% of the time I actually only eat veg, because I love them all :awesome:) but when I do I make sure I buy it from trusted farmers. Yes, it is more expensive, but it works; personally, I don't need a lot of meat in my diet anyway.
Well maybe i am a hypocrite but i can be compassionate, i like meat, that isnt going to change, and i know the industry is wrong and unfair and terrible but it certainly doesn't equate me to a rapist or paedophile because i eat the food i like

You are not a hypocrite, and no, that doesn't equate you to a rapist or a paedophile. That analogy is absurd, if not preposterous.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
Yet they are the cause of it. :frown: I think meat-eaters should visit slaughter houses

To be honest I don't want to bash meat eaters even though I don't eat meat myself and haven't done so for years. The problem is that as consumers we are so far removed from the reality of the farming and meat/dairy industry (not to mention furs, bear bile farming etc) that it is difficult to really, really understand what's going on in these places.

Once you visit such a place or (even worse) you see one of those graphic documentaries it becomes an ethical choice first and foremost not a health choice which is a secondary consideration. I think you are right about visiting slaughterhouses - it could help make people more aware, but the most atrocious things are not accessible to the public. A lot of those short films or documentaries have been filmed in secret and I recall one journalist saying that he had no doubt whatsoever that his life would be in danger if they caught on that he was filming.
Yes it is my opinion
I know it doesnt give us the right, we are constantly outraged when a human is killed by an animal for it to eat but we dont see an issue the other way around and that is hypocritical, however I put it more in the league of specism that rapist or something else.
I also agree with you!

I was raised in a family of chefs, and my grandfather is a farmer (he's not selling goods, but he's harvesting and raising his own ones for all of us) so we have a culture for good food, and also respecting animals. He takes very good care of his hens (having more than 90 now, grazing happily and freely in his garden...and ruining his salads :giggle:) and whenever I visit him I help him out to chop wood and make new barns for them and the rabbits (he breeds rabbits to give them as pets every Easter; they're also very effective when it comes to getting rid of the excess hay so that it won't spoil :lol:). I love animals and care for them, but at the end of the day I will not deny that I was born an omnivore. In the same way that you find on the internet videos of cats taking care of chicks, I also like taking care of what is roughly considered "pray". I like to think that doesn't make me a savage.

Even though I am a student, I don't eat meat and eggs very often (80% of what is on my plate is always veg, and I'd say 60-70% of the time I actually only eat veg, because I love them all :awesome:) but when I do I make sure I buy it from trusted farmers. Yes, it is more expensive, but it works; personally, I don't need a lot of meat in my diet anyway.

I have no problem with people like you. Just sometimes when I see raging meat eaters talking about how they don't care about any of the ethics of it, they look to me no different than someone being cruel to and torturing house pets.
To be honest I don't want to bash meat eaters even though I don't eat meat myself and haven't done so for years. The problem is that as consumers we are so far removed from the reality of the farming and meat/dairy industry (not to mention furs, bear bile farming etc) that it is difficult to really, really understand what's going on in these places.

Once you visit such a place or (even worse) you see one of those graphic documentaries it becomes an ethical choice first and foremost not a health choice which is a secondary consideration. I think you are right about visiting slaughterhouses - it could help make people more aware, but the most atrocious things are not accessible to the public. A lot of those short films or documentaries have been filmed in secret and I recall one journalist saying that he had no doubt whatsoever that his life would be in danger if they caught on that he was filming.

What?! No way!! Do you have a link! I'm telling you they are psychopaths, or have similar traits. You can't stay sane working in a place like that.

I do bash meat eaters for their choices. I don't bash the ones that accept this happens and continue, that is up to them, I bash the ones that are ignorant.
I honestly can't believe I sat and had a conversation with you in real life. So you sat in a coffee shop with me and the whole time you were comparing me to a paedophile? you're sick

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why am I even here, when I could reheat my chicken omelette and read some good books that will expand my knowledge and appease my ardent desire for good quality information.
It's ok, that's all my fault. I'll go eat now, ta.
This attitude right here is why a lot of vegans/feminists ect.. do their movement more harm than good.
I also agree with you!

Thats really nice, when im older i probably will eat less meat (i have to admit its because of the cooking process that anything else) but when i live in my own house with my own money and what ever else i would certainly be buying from trusted farmers so i can ensure the least amount of suffering to the animal
Some people act as if meat eaters are wanting animals to suffer, that is where i really disagree with people

Latest

Trending

Trending