The Student Room Group

A level art

Is it worth taking art at A level? I really like art but I know it takes up a lot of time so can any of you tell me how long you spend on art A level, if you have time for other subjects, if it is worth it etc.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Original post by leopard923
Is it worth taking art at A level? I really like art but I know it takes up a lot of time so can any of you tell me how long you spend on art A level, if you have time for other subjects, if it is worth it etc.

Hi there! I've moved this over to the Creative and Performing Arts forum- so you should get more replies here :smile:

From my experience (although it was a while ago!) Art was really worth doing if you're really passionate about it. It is quite time consuming- but I'm the sort of person who likes drawing/painting in my spare time anyway so I never really saw it as 'work' in the same way as writing an essay is.

Hope this helps :h:
Reply 3
From my experience (although it was a while ago!) Art was really worth doing if you're really passionate about it. It is quite time consuming- but I'm the sort of person who likes drawing/painting in my spare time anyway so I never really saw it as 'work' in the same way as writing an essay is.

Hope this helps :h:

Thanks so much for replying! I definitely know what you mean about not seeing it as work, just as long as it is the same in A level :smile:.
Reply 4
I'm currently doing fine art AS and it's nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be, and i pretty much hated fine art at GCSE (and love it now).
it's not an insane amount of work like most people say it is, and if you enjoy it, it should be fine.
Reply 5
Original post by gabzzz
I'm currently doing fine art AS and it's nowhere near as bad as i thought it would be, and i pretty much hated fine art at GCSE (and love it now).
it's not an insane amount of work like most people say it is, and if you enjoy it, it should be fine.

Thanks a lot for the reply :smile: as long as it isn't so much I can't do anything else, that's fine with me:tongue:
Reply 6
Thanks a lot for the reply :smile: as long as it isn't so much I can't do anything else, that's fine with me:tongue:

what other subjects are you thinking of taking?
i do two art subjects (which i swore i wouldn't put myself through after doing the same at gcse lol) which i knew would be a lot of work and i would have to be committed to not falling behind. i'm extremely surprised at how good it's going for me, as i am really (reeeeally) lazy. my art teachers are incredible and are always there to help, and letting them know any time you're struggling with anything and keeping that communication going constantly is really important, and will make it so much easier.
Reply 7
Wowww you must be sooo organised to do two !! If you can do two you make me feel a lot better about choosing one lool :tongue: I was thinking of taking maths and physics :smile: what other art subject do you do ?
Reply 8
Wowww you must be sooo organised to do two !! If you can do two you make me feel a lot better about choosing one lool :tongue: I was thinking of taking maths and physics :smile: what other art subject do you do ?

haha i'm glad!! i'm not very organised at all though haha. i do photography as the other art subject, then geography and english literature. kind of bummed i didnt get an A in maths so couldn't do maths for a level, but now that i look at friends that are doing it, i probably wouldn't have liked it a lot anyway lmao
maths + physics are really difficult subjects though, so taking an art with them would be fun i think!

i assume you're currently doing an art gcse, how are you finding it? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9

Each school does things differently, so do research on their teaching methods to see if it's something you prefer.

Art is one of those subject you'll definitely not be able to do well unless you really are passionate about it, and really like the subject. It does take a long time, so you'll eventually find a way to do enough work for each subjects. Since I done work in realism and anatomy, I spent around 10hrs per week (even more when deadline approaches).
Original post by gabzzz
haha i'm glad!! i'm not very organised at all though haha. i do photography as the other art subject, then geography and english literature. kind of bummed i didnt get an A in maths so couldn't do maths for a level, but now that i look at friends that are doing it, i probably wouldn't have liked it a lot anyway lmao
maths + physics are really difficult subjects though, so taking an art with them would be fun i think!

i assume you're currently doing an art gcse, how are you finding it? :smile:

Yeah that's what I wanted like a balance between the subjects :smile:. And yeah I do art GCSE at the moment and I love it so much! It is like a break from the other subjects although when I have like a day to do a lot for art then that's stressful lool :tongue:. Are you planning to go on and do art at uni?
Original post by kkboyk
Each school does things differently, so do research on their teaching methods to see if it's something you prefer.

Art is one of those subject you'll definitely not be able to do well unless you really are passionate about it, and really like the subject. It does take a long time, so you'll eventually find a way to do enough work for each subjects. Since I done work in realism and anatomy, I spent around 10hrs per week (even more when deadline approaches).

Yeah that's a good idea- i'll look at the types of art my school's sixth form does. 10 hours a week on realism and anatomy is actually soooo good- you must be very organised ! If that is the same for me then I would definitely be more persuaded to dot it ! Thanks for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending