The Student Room Group

Colleague said something homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iamthetruth
That's why I don't deal with them because of the intolerant behavior but they will say that I'm intolerant

Go on then, humour me; tell me your arguments and I'll happily take apart each one.

Why should I tolerate you? When you're disagreement help contribute towards unnecessary pain and suffering?
That's why I don't deal with them because of the intolerant behavior but they will say that I'm intolerant

Tough life of the victim

Original post by XcitingStuart
Go on then, humour me; tell me your arguments and I'll happily take apart each one.

Why should I tolerate you? When you're disagreement help contribute towards unnecessary pain and suffering?

You insult me to try and make me stop voicing my opinion and you hypocrites pretend you are for free speech
You insult me to try and make me stop voicing my opinion and you hypocrites pretend you are for free speech

Who said I am for free speech? Stop considering us as a homogeneous group. I never even clarified that.

I'm happy for you to voice your opinions over a forum, like this one, right now, but by all means am I going to criticise it.

Now do you, or do you not, contribute to the stigma surrounding homosexuality in society, or this world even, which consequently increases depression and suicide rates? I want an answer here.

Do you contribute to the stigma then?
Original post by driftawaay
another homophobe spotted
Yes I am a homophobe because I defended someone's right to an opinion without others slapping an incorrect label on it. I already highlighted the difference between what real homophobes say and what the lady said. If you have a different definition, good for you. :biggrin:

I noticed a few people talking about how this balloon lady is discriminating... strange, there was no mention in OP's post about the lady treating gay people differently whenever she comes into contact with them. People just... assumed that was happening because that's what assumptions the labelling promotes, even though we've no idea if that's true or not. Weird. :confused:
Given that you're basically a walking moral vacuum; who honestly cares?
Original post by Veggiechic6
Yes I am a homophobe because I defended someone's right to an opinion without others slapping an incorrect label on it. I already highlighted the difference between what real homophobes say and what the lady said. If you have a different definition, good for you. :biggrin:

I noticed a few people talking about how this balloon lady is discriminating... strange, there was no mention in OP's post about the lady treating gay people differently whenever she comes into contact with them. People just... assumed that was happening because that's what assumptions the labelling promotes, even though we've no idea if that's true or not. Weird. :confused:

Thank you for putting one more homophobe on my ignore list
Original post by Veggiechic6
That's not homophobia. That's her opinion and she's entitled to it. Stop trying to label people's opinions. Just because you disagree with her doesn't make her opinion any less valid than yours. Homophobia would be if she said she hates gay people, wanted to kill them because they were gay etc.

Oh please, if someone said, "it's just wrong to be black" there would be outrage, they would be branded a racist and probably fired if it occurred in the workplace.
Reply 28
Original post by Treeroy
At work today, we have a woman who is in our store every saturday morning, we pay her to make balloons and facepaint for customers with little kids. I talked to her for the first time today and she said something homophobic to me ("it's just wrong to be gay":wink: I wanted to smack her... I do not tolerate homophobia at all and especially not at work.

What should I do? She is not a normal employee she is almost like a 'contractor' person I guess.

how did that come up into the conversation?
Original post by XcitingStuart
Who said I am for free speech? Stop considering us as a homogeneous group. I never even clarified that.

I'm happy for you to voice your opinions over a forum, like this one, right now, but by all means am I going to criticise it.

Now do you, or do you not, contribute to the stigma surrounding homosexuality in society, or this world even, which consequently increases depression and suicide rates? I want an answer here.

Do you contribute to the stigma then?

I don't care about homosexuality I don't even think about it unless they are the ones speaking about it to me. If they have a right to publicize their sexuality then we have a right to speak our mind on it. That is my opinion.
You insult me to try and make me stop voicing my opinion

call amnesty international asap

Original post by driftawaay
Thank you for putting one more homophobe on my ignore list

:laugh:
Reply 32
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Inform her that homosexuality is not a choice and present in many animal species, therefore not wrong.

Tell her that discriminating on the basis of someone's sexual preferences is what's wrong.

Gonna play devil's advocate here, but I remember reading something like the estimated number of gay people as a percentage of global population is like 1.5%, which statistically makes it more akin to a disease or defect than "perfectly natural".
Original post by MAINE.
Gonna play devil's advocate here, but I remember reading something like the estimate number of gay people as a percentage of global population is like 1.5%, which statistically makes it more akin to a disease or defect than "perfectly natural".

Not necessarily. We know homosexuality isn't a disease so that comparison doesn't hold much weight. And something being present in a small percentage doesn't make it any less natural.
Reply 34
The same way that you'd confront any views that you think you can find holes in- challenge it. The only way for humans to develop as a collective of individuals is to challenge each other's views- so that we can develop. By ignoring or reporting your colleague, you aren't helping the bigger picture. Honestly- I'd see this as an opportunity to help someone, to see why they think what they think- and if you think you can prove her wrong, then do it. Of course, make sure you do this professionally and appropriately so you don't lose your job.
Original post by MAINE.
Gonna play devil's advocate here, but I remember reading something like the estimated number of gay people as a percentage of global population is like 1.5%, which statistically makes it more akin to a disease or defect than "perfectly natural".

Around 1-2% of the world's population has red hair.

Poor gingers with their birth defects and disease :frown:
Original post by Lady Comstock
Oh please, if someone said, "it's just wrong to be black" there would be outrage, they would be branded a racist and probably fired if it occurred in the workplace.
That's different. People can't control the colour of their skin, that's obvious. Whether or not people can control their sexuality... well the jury is out on that. I've never come across any evidence or studies to prove people can be born gay. I'm not going to get into the whole debate, I'm just making the point that it's not as clear cut as race.

What bothers me so much is how quickly people have labelled this as a 'homophobic' incident and even worse, assuming this unknown balloon lady is discriminating against gay people even though there was nothing to suggest that. If this lady is treating gay people differently because they're gay, then yes I agree that's wrong but it's perfectly possible to not agree with what someone does/how someone lives their lives and treat them like anyone else. Some people don't seem to accept that. They think 'oh, that person is saying being gay is wrong therefore she must hate all gay people.' There are millions of people in this world who will hold the same opinion as this lady, just like there are millions who won't.
Reply 37
Original post by Sir Candour
If she is hurling it at you, unwarrented, unprovoked, as harrasment: report her to your boss.

If the lady just spoke her opinion as part of conversation: tut, shake your head, and continue with your life. Debate her even; do anything that doesn't equate to you punishing her for having an alternative view.

yes, I think I will report her to one of the managers. the way I see it, I should not have to be made uncomfortable about who I am at work.

Original post by zyzzyspirit
Move on with your life.
have u ever been discriminated against because you're a minority? it may seem small to you but to me it is deeply offensive and upsetting.
How is that homophobic? That is her opinion and she's entitled to it. I agree with her.
lmao are you serious? how on earth is it not homophobic?? yes it's her opinion but its an offensive bigoted opinion.If I told one of my black colleagues that I thought it is wrong of them to be black, that it was inappropriate for black people to be here, then I would get fired and rightly so.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
If you're going to take issue with every idiot you encounter in your life, you're going to lead a miserable existence
But this isn't every encounter in my life. My work is a very tolerant and diverse place where everyone is treated with respect. our boss is gay, most of the managers are LGBT, we have lots of different ethnicities sexualities and genders so I think it is very out of place for her to be saying this to someone at work.Partly I think it's because she does not work here so she doesnt see us as colleagues who she should respect.
Original post by MAINE.
how did that come up into the conversation?
she was talking about hot celebrities so naturally the subject came up...

Original post by MAINE.
and yet over 50% of young people do not identify as straight.
Reply 38
Original post by Treeroy
At work today, we have a woman who is in our store every saturday morning, we pay her to make balloons and facepaint for customers with little kids. I talked to her for the first time today and she said something homophobic to me ("it's just wrong to be gay") I wanted to smack her... I do not tolerate homophobia at all and especially not at work.

What should I do? She is not a normal employee she is almost like a 'contractor' person I guess.

Couldn't you just say "I disagree with you"? Why make such a drama out of it? - all she did was utter an opinion.
Reply 39
Original post by okey
The same way that you'd confront any views that you think you can find holes in- challenge it. The only way for humans to develop as a collective of individuals is to challenge each other's views- so that we can develop. By ignoring or reporting your colleague, you aren't helping the bigger picture. Honestly- I'd see this as an opportunity to help someone, to see why they think what they think- and if you think you can prove her wrong, then do it. Of course, make sure you do this professionally and appropriately so you don't lose your job.

i am not interested in changing her views or "debating", i just want to not be discriminated against at work! is it that hard to understand??

Quick Reply

Latest