The Student Room Group

Should I study maths for A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by morgan8002
This will continue, but at A-level it'll more likely be you finding out if you're wrong and you've got to figure out what you did wrong.
If you don't like maths, don't take it.

Surely you'll have studied it for 12 years by the end of this academic year? The answer is no. You know virtually nothing at this point. School is a pretty big waste of time.

Well, aren't you rude and pessimistic.
Original post by geniequeen48
Well, aren't you rude and pessimistic.

I didn't mean to be. At the end of GCSE I didn't know much maths at all.
Original post by morgan8002
I didn't mean to be. At the end of GCSE I didn't know much maths at all.

Right.
Any would u even ask such question ? Of course do math.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AsandaLFC
Any would u even ask such question ? Of course do math.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will, it was just a thought :smile:
Original post by Rickstahhh
x

Hey again,
I have a problem. I haven't done the final expedition of the duke of edinburgh bronze award yet because I had a problem on the day. So my teacher said I can do it at any time of the year. However because I haven't done it with the school, I now have to pay the costs...which is £150.

Now my mum refuses to pay that because usually we only pay about £20 max for the bronze award.

Does that mean I can't put it in my CV and personal statement?
I've just started my AS-levels, I do: biology, chemistry, maths and further maths.

I can assure you maths will be very beneficial to take.

The new science AS-levels are far more mathematical in terms of assessment (20% of marks per paper in chemistry, 10% for biology) and there is FAR more maths skills needed for the type of maths usually associated with that science at the KS5 stage.

Take biology for example (in all honesty the best example):

There is a helluva lot more maths in biology now (I think). For small scale biology (biochemistry, cells etc), simple worded equations are present in year 12 and algebraic equations (I think only 1 though) in year 13. For medium scale biology (organs etc) say hello to worded equations and some geometry. Last but FAR from least, comes large scale biology (biodiversity, evolution etc)...expect worded equations and more importantly several statistical equations and the standard type of data distribution:
- standard deviation (covered in S1 for maths)
- understanding the normal distribution (S1)
- student's t test (S3 although you can live without S3)
- correlation coefficient (same as previous)
- chi - squared test (A2 only) (same as previous).

^ these all assume Edexcel maths spec is used and OCR spec is used for science.

I personally think when it comes to maths OCR B chemistry (what I do) is disappointing compared to the challenges (sorry I love maths) they give you in OCR A biology. In chemistry just say hello to simple algebraic equations you may have covered at GCSE and geometry...

Unfortunately for some, biology and chemistry are becoming more mathematical...universities need people to have the right skills...if you want to do these subjects you will need to adapt.

Just remember the Student Room is here to help.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey again,
I have a problem. I haven't done the final expedition of the duke of edinburgh bronze award yet because I had a problem on the day. So my teacher said I can do it at any time of the year. However because I haven't done it with the school, I now have to pay the costs...which is £150.

Now my mum refuses to pay that because usually we only pay about £20 max for the bronze award.

Does that mean I can't put it in my CV and personal statement?

Hey!

You won't be able to put it on your CV or personal statement, simply for the reason that you won't be able to prove it if they ask for proof. As you won't have a certificate.
Imo, it might be worth spending the £150. This is because DofE will allow you to demonstrate several key characteristics, such as team player, leader, dedicated etc etc
Original post by AlphaArgonian

x.

I couldn't agree more with you.
Doing S1 will definitely help with Biology, especially at A2.
And having a good understanding of maths will help with Chemistry in both AS and A2
Hey!

You won't be able to put it on your CV or personal statement, simply for the reason that you won't be able to prove it if they ask for proof. As you won't have a certificate.
Imo, it might be worth spending the £150. This is because DofE will allow you to demonstrate several key characteristics, such as team player, leader, dedicated etc etc

If I have the certificate for the individual sections (i.e. volunteering, physical, skills) could that be enough?
If I have the certificate for the individual sections (i.e. volunteering, physical, skills) could that be enough?

Do they even give certificates for individual sections?
Back in my day, they only gave one overall certificate for completion of the award.
I couldn't agree more with you.
Doing S1 will definitely help with Biology, especially at A2.
And having a good understanding of maths will help with Chemistry in both AS and A2

:smile:
Really? I mean for chemistry I can't find many large and/or long equations in year 12 other than pV = nRT and q = mcDELTAT
Do they even give certificates for individual sections?
Back in my day, they only gave one overall certificate for completion of the award.

Yep, they do haha.
Really? I mean for chemistry I can't find many large and/or long equations in year 12 other than pV = nRT and q = mcDELTAT

Lol having no idea what you guys are talking about.

In AS, knowing maths helps a lot with the standard moles/concentration calculation.
But in A2 there is a lot more difficult maths calculations involving buffer solutions etc etc.
Well this is what I found with my exam board (AQA)

How you finding AS so far? :smile:
Lol having no idea what you guys are talking about.

pV = nRT

p = pressure
V = volume
n = no: of moles
R = gas constant
T = temperature

q = mcDELTAT

q = energy transferred
m = mass
c = specific heat capacity
DELTAT - triangle T - change in temperature

The first one is the ideal gas equation, OCR A physicists do it as well in Yr13
Yep, they do haha.

:O times have changed!
Hmm, it would still be better completing the award, as most places will want a certificate to prove completion.
But hey it is up to you really, some med schools don't ask for proof whereas some do.
In AS, knowing maths helps a lot with the standard moles/concentration calculation.
But in A2 there is a lot more difficult maths calculations involving buffer solutions etc etc.
Well this is what I found with my exam board (AQA)

How you finding AS so far? :smile:

Fine thanks, we're doing a context based course so each chapter is called a 'storyline'
The chapter I'm currently studying is 'Developing Fuels' which revolves around enthalpy and organic chemistry :smile:.
:O times have changed!
Hmm, it would still be better completing the award, as most places will want a certificate to prove completion.
But hey it is up to you really, some med schools don't ask for proof whereas some do.

Oh okay, I'll see if my teachers can help me out on this. I could try win the jack petchy award then use some of the money to pay off my award haha...that is, if I win of course.

Did Barts ask for your proof?
Thanks xD
pV = nRT

p = pressure
V = volume
n = no: of moles
R = gas constant
T = temperature

q = mcDELTAT

q = energy transferred
m = mass