The Student Room Group

Mixed race people: what are your experiences with identity and racism/ignorance?

Whether it's racism/ignorance from your family members, one side of your family to the other, from friends... has it really impacted or you really don't care since you know who you are and nothing can change that?

Do you identify with one (of your) side(s) more than the other(s)?

I think I've been quite lucky on that aspect (despite living in a pretty white area of France) but I'm curious as to what other mixed people living the UK think (and other places!)

:h:

Scroll to see replies

We moved cities to Bristol cus my dad's family are racist and they hated us.

Experienced loads of racism in school and some of em were violent. I have loads of injuries from muh childhood. Now I'm in uni in London and people are pretty chill.
Original post by jedanselemyia
Whether it's racism/ignorance from your family members, one side of your family to the other, from friends... has it really impacted or you really don't care since you know who you are and nothing can change that?

Do you identify with one (of your) side(s) more than the other(s)?

I think I've been quite lucky on that aspect (despite living in a pretty white area of France) but I'm curious as to what other mixed people living the UK think (and other places!)

:h:

I identify with my Syrian side more than I do with my father's Italian roots. So many cousins from that side and I've been to Syria quite a lot in the past. I've been to Italy but I don't know my dad's family that well and I'm certainly not as close to them as I am with my mother's family.

I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in but i haven't experienced any racism since then. Both cultures in my family get along so no bad blood or racism within our family itself and my friends are cool. Everyone else is irrelevant
Original post by ChickenMadness

Experienced loads of racism in school and some of em were violent. I have loads of injuries from muh childhood. Now I'm in uni in London and people are pretty chill.

Sorry to hear that Hun
True however there's still racism that occurs in London itself.

That's ****ing horrible :frown:
Original post by queen-bee
I identify with my Syrian side more than I do with my father's Italian roots. So many cousins from that side and I've been to Syria quite a lot in the past. I've been to Italy but I don't know my dad's family that well and I'm certainly not as close to them as I am with my mother's family.

I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in but i haven't experienced any racism since then. Both cultures in my family get along so no bad blood or racism within our family itself and my friends are cool. Everyone else is irrelevant

I always find that the non white side tends to be much more accepting (if there's a white side)?
Where you in France at that time? If so, the country is very anti arab so it's normal.

That's cool to hear :smile: it's always nice when different cultures get on together
True however there's still racism that occurs in London itself.
Ye you're not an outcast because everyone is equally different (multiculturalism). Everyone where I lived in Bristol is white. And then there was me. Odd one out. lel.

That's ****ing horrible :frown:

But the good thing is I got £3k from the school/government for breaking my nose and other stuff. Been enjoying that right about now haha. Everyone else is poor and I just bought a gopro camera :redface:

I identify with my Syrian side more than I do with my father's Italian roots. So many cousins from that side and I've been to Syria quite a lot in the past. I've been to Italy but I don't know my dad's family that well and I'm certainly not as close to them as I am with my mother's family.I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in but i haven't experienced any racism since then. Both cultures in my family get along so no bad blood or racism within our family itself and my friends are cool. Everyone else is irrelevant
what comments do people make about you then?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8

I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in

Intrigued by this. Care to explain?
I've never experienced any direct racism although some of my family members from both sides are not open to interracial relationships so they are quite hostile. Sigh.

But the good thing is I got £3k from the school/government for breaking my nose and other stuff. Been enjoying that right about now haha. Everyone else is poor and I just bought a gopro camera :redface:

Well, at least something good came out of it :redface:
Ye you're not an outcast because everyone is equally different (multiculturalism). Everyone where I lived in Bristol is white. And then there was me. Odd one out. lel.

what comments do people make about you then?

It was along the lines of being Arab and going back home(deported) and how violent Arabs are/terrorist. Kind of like a daily mail racist rant just a day or two after the Charlie hebdo attacks @MAINE.
Tbh the worst thing I can think of is when men implied that me or my sister were my dad's wife or girlfriend :s-smilie: or adopted
It was along the lines of being Arab and going back home(deported) and how violent Arabs are/terrorist. Kind of like a daily mail racist rant just a day or two after the Charlie hebdo attacks @MAINE.

lol ye thats one of the things people have said to me. Not the Arab bits though. Good thing it's not a regular occurrence.

Well, at least something good came out of it :redface:

oh ye I forgot to say. Obvs I identify with my mum's culture (Chinese + Filipino) because I've never met anyone in my dad's family apart from his mum who spat at us on the bus when I was a toddler lmao. Never really felt too much affinity to Britain because of how I was always treated differently. I'm not patriotic at all. For any country.

v

Tbh the worst thing I can think of is when men implied that me or my sister were my dad's wife or girlfriend :s-smilie: or adopted
why'd they say that?
(edited 8 years ago)

oh ye I forgot to say. Obvs I identify with my mum's culture (Chinese + Filipino) because I've never met anyone in my dad's family apart from his mum who spat at us on the bus when I was a toddler lmao. Never really felt too much affinity to Britain because of how I was always treated differently. I'm not patriotic at all. For any country.

v

why'd they say that?

Dude, that's so grim :eek: :frown:
It reminds me of a half white half arab friend of mine whose mother got insulted each time they went to eat with her dad's family (as in "we know you married our son for the money" etc)
Oh yeah, as mixed people it's hard to feel a particular attachment to just one country :\

Cos he's white and we're brown (we're half black) and we "don't look like him" and people in France are quite close minded so that's what some people think: we're his sugarbabies or some **** :colonhash:
Original post by Eigo-Jin
I've never experienced any direct racism although some of my family members from both sides are not open to interracial relationships so they are quite hostile. Sigh.

It's passive racism and it often ends up being as hurtful as full on racism :frown: ...
lol ye thats one of the things people have said to me. Not the Arab bits though. Good thing it's not a regular occurrence.

v

why'd they say that?

The worst thing is,when people just stare and there's complete silence. I couldn't wait to go home. I cried that day
It's passive racism and it often ends up being as hurtful as full on racism :frown: ...

Yeah on some days, it does hurt to know that they only hate you because you're a mix of two races, and not acknowledge your existence even a little bit :frown:
Original post by Eigo-Jin
Yeah on some days, it does hurt to know that they only hate you because you're a mix of two races, and not acknowledge your existence even a little bit :frown:

It's so unfortunate because they're obviously missing out on how interesting you are...
Some people say that I have a beautiful ethnic mix

Other people have called me things like a half breed. I relate more to my Indian side because I lived in India for years

Quick Reply

Latest