The Student Room Group

Colleague said something homophobic

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Treeroy
..........and yet over 50% of young people do not identify as straight.

That surprises me. Where did that statistic come from?
Reply 41
Original post by Treeroy

and yet over 50% of young people do not identify as straight.

lol, where did you get that stat from?

if that's true, then "50%" doesnt mean what I think it means anymore :lol:
Reply 42
Original post by Treeroy
i am not interested in changing her views or "debating", i just want to not be discriminated against at work! is it that hard to understand??

She didn't discriminate against you.
Original post by Treeroy
yes, I think I will report her to one of the managers. the way I see it, I should not have to be made uncomfortable about who I am at work.

So you're gay yourself? You should have told her that, if you didn't. I bet she would've buried herself out of embarrassment.

Report the vile ****.
Original post by Treeroy
At work today, we have a woman who is in our store every saturday morning, we pay her to make balloons and facepaint for customers with little kids. I talked to her for the first time today and she said something homophobic to me ("it's just wrong to be gay":wink: I wanted to smack her... I do not tolerate homophobia at all and especially not at work.

What should I do? She is not a normal employee she is almost like a 'contractor' person I guess.

Do you work at McDonalds by any chance? She is entitled to her opinion and she is entitled to express it by virtue of free speech. If you don't like it don't talk to her.
Reply 45
Freedom of speech.
Reply 46
Original post by driftawaay
So you're gay yourself? You should have told her that, if you didn't. I bet she would've buried herself out of embarrassment.

Report the vile ****.

Maybe I didn't say clearly enough in the OP.

> I said I am gay
> She told me being gay is wrong

In that order.
Reply 47
well I don't talk to her, today was the first shift in 4 months that I have seen her. But I dont think it's acceptable and am thinking I will report it to my boss.
Original post by Treeroy

> I said I am gay

In that order.

Omg she really is a vile ****. lmao report her ASAP.
Reply 49
Original post by driftawaay
Omg she really is a vile ****. lmao report her ASAP.

yeah she was vile, thats why i'm made this thread and am angry and upset, not just because someone has a odd opinion :smile: :tongue:
Original post by Treeroy
well I don't talk to her, today was the first shift in 4 months that I have seen her. But I dont think it's acceptable and am thinking I will report it to my boss.

Okay but won't you need proof if you want any kind of action being taken? If you don't have proof it will be pointless reporting it because she will just deny it. If she loses her job because of it she will likely become even more homophobic. Do you really want that? It was probably just a slip of the tongue, I'm sure you've said nasty things in the past without thinking about it.
Original post by Treeroy
At work today, we have a woman who is in our store every saturday morning, we pay her to make balloons and facepaint for customers with little kids. I talked to her for the first time today and she said something homophobic to me ("it's just wrong to be gay":wink: I wanted to smack her... I do not tolerate homophobia at all and especially not at work.

What should I do? She is not a normal employee she is almost like a 'contractor' person I guess.

It is an 'opinion' but it is rude and unnecessary to say and stupid comments like that should be kept to herself. Really should have gave her a good telling off.
Original post by Treeroy
yeah she was vile, thats why i'm made this thread and am angry and upset, not just because someone has a odd opinion :smile: :tongue:

Yeah you should report her, most companies have policies that dont tolerate racism/homophobia/etc so Im sure this wont just be overlooked if you report it. Give the bitch a lesson.
Reply 53
can't have been a slip of the tongue.

when she said it, i was just stunned, gobsmacked that someone would say that to my face and at work. so I asked what she meant, and she just repeated herself.

also she works here 2 hours a week i'm sure she will live. I don't care if she becomes more homophobic or whatever. that's her problem not mine.

as for proof, one of my friends (colleagues) was in the conversation with us.

Original post by loveleest
It is an 'opinion' but it is rude and unnecessary to say and stupid comments like that should be kept to herself. Really should have gave her a good telling off.
I wanted to but I was in stunned silence.
I don't think she would need explicit proof. There is no reason she would make up a story about some random person at work (one whom she doesn't even know personally) making homophobic comments to her. The employer will believe her over the woman. As for 'she will become even more homophobic', who cares?

I'm pretty sure OP has never told a person they are disgusting and inferior or wrong after someone told them they are biracial, so no, it wasn't just a slip of the tongue.
Original post by Treeroy
can't have been a slip of the tongue.

when she said it, i was just stunned, gobsmacked that someone would say that to my face and at work. so I asked what she meant, and she just repeated herself.

also she works here 2 hours a week i'm sure she will live. I don't care if she becomes more homophobic or whatever. that's her problem not mine.

as for proof, one of my friends (colleagues) was in the conversation with us.

I wanted to but I was in stunned silence.

Ahh okay, yeah I know what you mean, next time report it because honestly that was so rude.
Reply 56
OP's the type of person that phones Ofcom and complains that they saw a breast on the television before 9pm. Get a hobby.
Original post by Treeroy

> I said I am gay

In that order.

Did she in some way treat you differently after you revealed you were gay to her? If not, you haven't been discriminated against. Simple as.

It seems quite confrontational to say that to you after you told her you were gay, but she's still entitled to her opinion.
It is homophobia, but she wasn't trying to openly attack you individually over it or anyone personally.. so I'd say let it go. I think you should have told her that her opinion was outdated and how you feel about it etc. but on this occasion, she wasn't trying to personally attack you so.. it'd be a bit unfair to try get her in trouble over that.
Reply 59
Original post by Veggiechic6
Did she in some way treat you differently after you revealed you were gay to her? If not, you haven't been discriminated against. Simple as.

It seems quite confrontational to say that to you after you told her you were gay, but she's still entitled to her opinion.

um no she is not "entitled to her opinion", there are company rules about not being racist and homophobic ya know.

Quick Reply

Latest