The Student Room Group

With Management or Nah?

Hey peeps,

I'm applying to Kings College London and they have two course which interest me:

MSci Computer Science (4 Years)
BSc Computer Science with Management (3 Years)

I really enjoy the 'with management' part because, as well as having a deep interest in computer science, I also love economics, management and social sciences. I want to learn about the economics of managing a business as well as learning about Computer Science. Even though most of the stuff about managing a business can be found online, I don't mind studying it as a side-course.

However, I chose MSci Computer Science because 1) You get a Masters which is very good for career prospects and 2) In-depth study about Computer Science. Also, I chose the MSci because the other was only a Bachelors and apparently masters are better. Moreover, on the description of the 'With Management' course, it says that they cover an introduction of Computer Science (most or all areas) and also covering fundamentals of Management such as economics, project management, marketing and human resource.

Furthermore, if people are going to say, do Bachelors now and then do Masters later in your life, 1) Student Finance covers it and they have a good system, whilst later on in life, you'll be in proper debt and 2) I want to get all my education done and dusted and get ready for applying it and making some money. :smile:

Now the question remains in my head, will a MSci give me better career prospects than a BSc with management? Who has a better chance of getting a managerial job; MSci or BSc With Management? Also, I don't want to be stuck coding solutions for a company, I want to build a company myself (whilst coding in-depth computer science stuff) so do you think the with management is better?

PS: Dont forget that I like computer science and I chose the Masters because I wanted to go in depth in some of its fields. However, I wanted to do With Management as well.
Original post by UnknownDude
Hey peeps,

I'm applying to Kings College London and they have two course which interest me:

MSci Computer Science (4 Years)
BSc Computer Science with Management (3 Years)

I really enjoy the 'with management' part because, as well as having a deep interest in computer science, I also love economics, management and social sciences. I want to learn about the economics of managing a business as well as learning about Computer Science. Even though most of the stuff about managing a business can be found online, I don't mind studying it as a side-course.

However, I chose MSci Computer Science because 1) You get a Masters which is very good for career prospects and 2) In-depth study about Computer Science. Also, I chose the MSci because the other was only a Bachelors and apparently masters are better. Moreover, on the description of the 'With Management' course, it says that they cover an introduction of Computer Science (most or all areas) and also covering fundamentals of Management such as economics, project management, marketing and human resource.

Furthermore, if people are going to say, do Bachelors now and then do Masters later in your life, 1) Student Finance covers it and they have a good system, whilst later on in life, you'll be in proper debt and 2) I want to get all my education done and dusted and get ready for applying it and making some money. :smile:

Now the question remains in my head, will a MSci give me better career prospects than a BSc with management? Who has a better chance of getting a managerial job; MSci or BSc With Management? Also, I don't want to be stuck coding solutions for a company, I want to build a company myself (whilst coding in-depth computer science stuff) so do you think the with management is better?

PS: Dont forget that I like computer science and I chose the Masters because I wanted to go in depth in some of its fields. However, I wanted to do With Management as well.

If you like Management, with the idea that you don't want to head into research after university - choose it.

However, if you do think you'd prefer to keep the research/PhD option open (for directly after your undergraduate degree), I'd urge you to consider the MSci.

Employment prospects are pretty much the same, software engineers aren't subscribed to whole idea of being 'chartered' like other professions, it's much more about your individual skills and experiences.

You've clearly made your choice in your head already - I assume you made this post to get some reassurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
If you like Management, with the idea that you don't want to head into research after university - choose it.

However, if you do think you'd prefer to keep the research/PhD option open (for directly after your undergraduate degree), I'd urge you to consider the MSci.

Employment prospects are pretty much the same, software engineers aren't subscribed to whole idea of being 'chartered' like other professions, it's much more about your individual skills and experiences.

You've clearly made your choice in your head already - I assume you made this post to get some reassurance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I kinda made this post for reassurance. I'm not going into research/PhD but I might be building my own company with something to do with Computer Science so I chose MSci because of its in-depth studying of CompSci. However, I'm missing out on the Management skills.
Original post by UnknownDude
Yeah I kinda made this post for reassurance. I'm not going into research/PhD but I might be building my own company with something to do with Computer Science so I chose MSci because of its in-depth studying of CompSci. However, I'm missing out on the Management skills.

You don't need 'management skills' anyway, most of it is common sense and you can pick it up as you grow your company. If you do want to learn a thing or two, there are online courses for just that, as well as books.

I ran a web startup alongside secondary chool, believe me, it's bloody difficult to start one without the knowledge but you soak it up like a sponge when you're fully immersed.
Original post by Princepieman
You don't need 'management skills' anyway, most of it is common sense and you can pick it up as you grow your company. If you do want to learn a thing or two, there are online courses for just that, as well as books.

I ran a web startup alongside secondary chool, believe me, it's bloody difficult to start one without the knowledge but you soak it up like a sponge when you're fully immersed.

True, I guess I'm sticking with MSci then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending