The Student Room Group

Should I study maths for A level?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by geniequeen48
But it adds to UCAS points no?
A Biology A level teacher said that as long as its a modern language and not a community language then my french a level should count?

I find Physics so boring - too many graphs. I heard also that as an A level it's even worse than maths so no thanks :biggrin:

Your AS in French would count towards UCAS points at med schools such as Barts. But you will not able to use it as part of your 3 A2 subjects required, as it would mean that your A2s were completed over a period of 3 years.

Btw I did Physics, and I would probably agree with you and say that maths is slightly easier.
Original post by Rickstahhh
Your AS in French would count towards UCAS points at med schools such as Barts. But you will not able to use it as part of your 3 A2 subjects required, as it would mean that your A2s were completed over a period of 3 years.

Btw I did Physics, and I would probably agree with you and say that maths is slightly easier.

Perfect then haha. Also, do you think I should study Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, or Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish, or Maths, Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and then practise for Spanish A2 at home? I'm finding Spanish really easy so far and I'm hoping to complete the AS this year (hopefully I do well in it xD).

I just don't want to suffer for 2 years and not regret the subjects I choose. Plus people are scaring me with English Literature a bit lol.
Perfect then haha. Also, do you think I should study Maths, Biology, Chemistry and English Literature, or Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Spanish, or Maths, Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and then practise for Spanish A2 at home? I'm finding Spanish really easy so far and I'm hoping to complete the AS this year (hopefully I do well in it xD).

I just don't want to suffer for 2 years and not regret the subjects I choose. Plus people are scaring me with English Literature a bit lol.

Maths, Biology and Chemistry are all very demanding subjects. So I'd probably go with Spanish, as I can tell that you'll probably enjoy it more. :smile:
Maths, Biology and Chemistry are all very demanding subjects. So I'd probably go with Spanish, as I can tell that you'll probably enjoy it more. :smile:

Hmm, okay.
But it adds to UCAS points no?
A Biology A level teacher said that as long as its a modern language and not a community language then my french a level should count?

I find Physics so boring - too many graphs. I heard also that as an A level it's even worse than maths so no thanks :biggrin:

Better get used to graphs for A-level science :smile:
Original post by AlphaArgonian
Better get used to graphs for A-level science :smile:

Haha I can cope xD
Haha I can cope xD

As the other guy said: biology, chemistry and maths (and further for me) is very demanding...

However, nothing is impossible if you are willing to put effort in.

For instance, I have a LOT of work given to me over the half term(albeit a two week one) I have literally just started.

I have compulsory work and voluntary study, both of which contribute to revision. Regardless, if I do the latter, I will make my life when the exams are looming (around March/April) far FAR easier.
x.

Does your first year exams count towards anything under this new exam system?
Does your first year exams count towards anything under this new exam system?

For biology and chemistry no :frown:

But hey, I'll still give 'em my all.

And If I take those two to A2 I have to revise all the AS stuff as well...
Which may not be that bad, since I've noticed the modules really tie in and hopefully the maths is a free 7-10 (biology) and 14-20 (chemistry) marks in the end. That would make my life easier!

But hey, I'm determined, I'm not easily broken.
For biology and chemistry no :frown:

But hey, I'll still give 'em my all.

And If I take those two to A2 I have to revise all the AS stuff as well...
Which may not be that bad, since I've noticed the modules really tie in and hopefully the maths is a free 7-10 (biology) and 14-20 (chemistry) marks in the end. That would make my life easier!

But hey, I'm determined, I'm not easily broken.

In a way it is better that you have re-revise all the AS stuff again. As all A2 modules are synoptic, so they'll contain AS stuff in them too. So you'll effectively be "killing two birds with one stone" :smile:
Do unis like Spanish? I'm thinking of doing Spanish AS this year though...Would English Literature just be too much? People said you have to write essays then read books over etc.? I don't mind the analysis, which is the part I like. I guess I could join English clubs for fun instead... if they exist. Should I just go ahead with Spanish instead? It's better to get the grades right?
In a way it is better that you have re-revise all the AS stuff again. As all A2 modules are synoptic, so they'll contain AS stuff in them too. So you'll effectively be "killing two birds with one stone" :smile:

Ok in all seriousness that makes me feel really good thanks for that :smile:
Do unis like Spanish? I'm thinking of doing Spanish AS this year though...Would English Literature just be too much? People said you have to write essays then read books over etc.? I don't mind the analysis, which is the part I like. I guess I could join English clubs for fun instead... if they exist. Should I just go ahead with Spanish instead? It's better to get the grades right?

Yeah, medical schools like languages as a non-science subject. It would be best to do Spanish next year along with your other A levels, so you would be able to count it as an A level within the 2 year period.
I've heard that english literature is quite subjective, some people love it whilst some hate it. Definitely join an English Club, you can then also talk about it in your personal statement!
Yeah, medical schools like languages as a non-science subject. It would be best to do Spanish next year along with your other A levels, so you would be able to count it as an A level within the 2 year period.
I've heard that english literature is quite subjective, some people love it whilst some hate it. Definitely join an English Club, you can then also talk about it in your personal statement!

Okay! Thanks!

Would they look down upon it because I know French? The languages are similar sometimes.
Ok in all seriousness that makes me feel really good thanks for that :smile:

No worries!
If you ever need help with bio, chem or maths feel free to give me a shout :smile: (Btw, I had A*s in all of them).
Would they look down upon it because I know French? The languages are similar sometimes.

Nope, it shouldn't be a problem.
The French will only be used to add to your UCAS Tariff. It will not form a part of any offer you receive, as you would have done it a year early.
Nope, it shouldn't be a problem.
The French will only be used to add to your UCAS Tariff. It will not form a part of any offer you receive, as you would have done it a year early.

Awesome :biggrin:
No worries!
If you ever need help with bio, chem or maths feel free to give me a shout :smile: (Btw, I had A*s in all of them).

Thanks! Oh and WELL DONE

Dont listen to this person OP, languages are worthless when unis look at your A-levels, if u going to take a language do it as an extra
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest