The Student Room Group

Conscription UK people(Poll)

Scroll to see replies

I not even legally allowed to join the military so yes.
Original post by Ohtereeitsfarah
What about women what do we do? :battle:

We'd need you to replace the population afterward.
Was conscripted, AMA.
Partiotism is fake and being proud of an invisible border around a chunk of land is stupid to fight for.
Original post by Ohtereeitsfarah
What about women what do we do? :battle:

Make a sndwich.

Spoiler

Original post by CoolCavy
indeed :yep:

in all seriousness tho i am actually interested in the TA :h:

Is that G-Force? :curious:
Original post by XcitingStuart
Is that G-Force? :curious:

:youbetcha:
Original post by addyaxis
Partiotism is fake and being proud of an invisible border around a chunk of land is stupid to fight for.

Fighting to prevent being ruled by a dictator or Muslims seems a valid reason to defend my imaginary border.
Original post by caravaggio2
Depends on the war, for example....
WW1 I like to think I would have had the strength of character to take the white feather and refuse. Having said that I can see why millions of young men didn't.

WW2 I certainly would have happily fought.

The article talks about conscription if things go south with Russia over in Syria... so that is the war for this discussion (Sorry if that wasnt clear :smile:)

So basically, conscripted to fight over in Syria v ISIS / Russia / Assad etc - or do 5 years in jail and face up to a £150k fine
(edited 8 years ago)
No thanks
Original post by Rakas21
Fighting to prevent being ruled by a dictator or Muslims seems a valid reason to defend my imaginary border.

Lol it's not 'your' border. The notion of a country/nation is a new one. Fighting for a government is fighting for their propaganda.

Government wants natural resources, attacks middle eastern countries for it, middle eastern countries get angry and stirred up, **** is posted everywhere on the news about how bad they are, gives the thumbs up to conscript for a cause that's just greedy and disgusting.

Why kill your own species just on the basis of assumption (i.e you don't know every person and you just assume things about them, their ideas, their beliefs, their nature etc, borderline racism and stereotyping).

It's totally justified what america and britain have done in those countries recently. Killing civilians and children and what not.
Reply 31
Would never fight in a war.

I'm a vegetarian pacifist so I would be a little bit hypocritical if I would.

I would choose to spend five years in prison over joining the army.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would never ever do such a stupid thing. Let the rich fight their own wars.

Can't believe people signed up for the current phony ones.
I can see why somebody wouldn't want to go abroad and fight over Syria etc but just a question to everyone saying they wouldn't fight in any circumstance.
Facing an invasion here such as we faced with the Nazi's in WW2 , where you and your loved ones lives and freedom were at risk, would you fight then?
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd rather fight for ISIS than our lot. Soldiers are nearly all former louts/ne'er do wells, I dont see why we go through this ludicrous mawkish nonsense every November putting these pastry faced yobs on a pedestal.
Original post by Betelgeuse-
The article talks about conscription if things go south with Russia over in Syria... so that is the war for this discussion (Sorry if that wasnt clear :smile:)

So basically, conscripted to fight over in Syria v ISIS / Russia / Assad etc - or do 5 years in jail and face up to a £150k fine

In that case I'll fight on the basis I can fight with these guys and we aren't going to actually attack them ourselves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/30/opinion/the-kurds-democratic-experiment.html?_r=1
Reply 36
Original post by Betelgeuse-

As someone from an ethnic minority who is black I would not fight as my race have suffered in this country a lot through the loss of oppotunities and stereotyping. Don't get me wrong I would fight to defend my country if it was invaded ofc.

I'm sorry but the war in Syria isn't black persons fight its an Arab problem.
1st Arabs in the middle east hate black people
2nd some Black people don't like Arabs
I would rather go to jail than fight until black people are treated equally to whites in the UK and USA and not frowned upon.
Original post by Howard
You have to grow vegetables in allotments and send them out to "Our Brave Boys in the Front Line" And work on the farms and in munitions factories. Or drive a ambulance like the Queen did.

I'll drive the ambulance! But what happened to equally and women's rights? Does that mean we get to fight for them again? eyes widen in excitement!:biggrin:
No way.

I've said this in previous threads, but it bears repeating (and I will repeat it whenever this comes up). The only person who has any right to decide whether I join the military or not is me, and no one else. The state has got no right whatsoever to make that decision for me. It's a simple personal liberty thing.

It's never going to happen, but if it did I would almost certainly be one of the ones refusing.
Reply 39
No. I'm all for national service because I believe it instills a sense of discipline, respect and humbleness in people in society. It brings people together, but I'd never then force these people to go to war and fight. I'd have a national service based around discipline, health and working towards a cohesive society where people contribute to help one another. I also don't think military training is a bad thing and people should be taught to look after themselves.

However, I don't think people should be forced to fight in wars. The purpose of war is only to make the rich, people like the Rothschild's, even richer. War is the greatest theatrical orchestration of all time, whereby the powers that be create false enemies to justify their geopolitical actions to the world to get support and people to buy in and sign up to the forces to fight these apparent enemies.

At the age of 18 you should either have to enter a professional training programme alongside work, go to university or enter national service. There are far too many 16-21 year olds out there doing absolutely sod all, and these people then get caught up in drugs, crime and so forth. Take these people off the streets and give them an education in a military environment and a purpose. When they finish national service and have been put firmly in their place, they will come out better people with more respect for others, as opposed to spoilt entitled chavs who think they can get what they want, when they want, without having to work for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending