The Student Room Group

So has uni been the best time of your life so far?

We've all heard phrases such as "freshers will be the best time of your lives" etc etc but has it proved to be true for you?

For me it was not at all good, but then again it's just been a month?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd say it's been 50/50. I'm now in second year, and freshers was amazing yet at the same time awful for me. I seemed to run into a bad string of luck the first semester, but then the last few months of the year were pretty sweet. I've never heard people say specifically freshers will be the best time of your life, rather uni in general will be the best years of your life, and I completely stand by that as uni up to now has been great.
Uni just feels like a chore. A stepping stone to some end goal im not even aware of.
Not even close mate. I was expecting cake, balloons and fireworks.
For me it definitely has. Everything I wanted to change or improve about myself I have basically done and I am the person I have always wanted to be.
Reply 5
Uni in general: no. Not because it's bad, it's amazing. It just so happens that I had an even more amazing year just before uni :tongue:
It was pretty **** looking back, 1st year was alright I guess. Got my degree in the end so can't complain.
Best thing I ever did tbh.
Nope.
Reply 9
Original post by Novascope
I'd say it's been 50/50. I'm now in second year, and freshers was amazing yet at the same time awful for me. I seemed to run into a bad string of luck the first semester, but then the last few months of the year were pretty sweet. I've never heard people say specifically freshers will be the best time of your life, rather uni in general will be the best years of your life, and I completely stand by that as uni up to now has been great.

Why did uni only get better for you in the last few months? was it the people that you met?

Original post by Emily.97
Uni just feels like a chore. A stepping stone to some end goal im not even aware of.

So you're not enjoying it?
Original post by samina_ay
Not even close mate. I was expecting cake, balloons and fireworks.

yeah there were a lot of that, but i am still ending every day alone in my room with not even a handful of real friends so you're not missing much
Original post by Lord Samosa
It was pretty **** looking back, 1st year was alright I guess. Got my degree in the end so can't complain.

So you didn't enjoy it>
Original post by Wilfred Little
Best thing I ever did tbh.

Why?
Original post by hihihihihi
Nope.

Finally i'm not alone
Reply 11
I suppose I feel overall negative (three weeks in, first year). I haven't been out at all; I haven't made any friends - obviously I've spoken to people and all lol but I can only just call some acquaintances and that's it -, I'm not very good at living independently and the course is interesting but not exactly amazing, plus I am finding the constant assessment structure (worth a small amount but still worth something) stressful. But I don't know what else I would do lol. My life just seems to be moving along of it's own accord, and I don't know where I'm going but I know that I'm relatively "safe" with this course of action. But I'm not growing as a person, if anything I'm shrinking; even if the degree goes well I won't be employable the way I'm going, so really it's probably an illusion. Oh well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by intoxycated
Why did uni only get better for you in the last few months? was it the people that you met

Yeah partly that. Like I said, my first semester was just unlucky. My flatmates turned into *****, I had money issues, my course wasn't what I expected, and I fell really sick. So once all of those problems were sorted out after the new year I felt a lot more happier and got to enjoy uni life more.
Uni sucked for me I don't know why it's supposed to be good
Why?

School was the worst time of my life, didn't finish and my education was ****. Always wanted to fix that.
Being over 10 was the worst mistake of my life.
Why did uni only get better for you in the last few months? was it the people that you met?

So you're not enjoying it?

yeah there were a lot of that, but i am still ending every day alone in my room with not even a handful of real friends so you're not missing much

Not really. I always find it difficult to balance education with anything else. I've never been akin to that kind of life, so i'm not slagging off the uni itself etc.
We've all heard phrases such as "freshers will be the best time of your lives" etc etc but has it proved to be true for you?

For me it was not at all good, but then again it's just been a month?

So far the last few months of college were better. Most of my modules have been boring so far(not because the content's boring but because last year I self-studied 90+% of the new stuff covered so far) and I haven't made any friends yet. I didn't go to much of the freshers stuff and have only been to one society meeting so far. I only know how to cook a few meals. The continuous assessment is proving tough to get my head around.
On the bright side, for now there's lots of maths and physics to read.
In the future, the good acquaintances I've made so far should become friends, the lectures should start covering new content soon, the societies seem to be picking up, eventually I'll learn how to cook. I'll get used to the 6 assignments and exam each week.
In conclusion, so far it hasn't been as good as some of college, but it should get better soon. Either way, so far it's been much better than any period of my life other than college.
No. College was better.
Original post by Novascope
Yeah partly that. Like I said, my first semester was just unlucky. My flatmates turned into *****, I had money issues, my course wasn't what I expected, and I fell really sick. So once all of those problems were sorted out after the new year I felt a lot more happier and got to enjoy uni life more.

How and when did you meet (if you did) your real friends that you actually liked?
Original post by iamthetruth
Uni sucked for me I don't know why it's supposed to be good

I've been asking myself the same thing ever since getting here

the only thing that numbs me up is random guys from clubs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending