The Student Room Group

Should cigarettes be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LizzieArt
Pathetic thing to post! You are 'SICK' of peoples attitudes, well just don't come on a discussion then. When you watch someone you love coughing up blood in hospital, desperately wishing they hadn't wasted their life by stupidly taking up smoking at 16, as it is 'cool' and then not being able to give up for 60 years, maybe you will take a different stand. Let people have their say please. If others and I feel it should be banned, let us feel that.

And if those of us that CHOOSE to want to smoke then who are you to say that we shouldn't? Myself and most people do it for the exact reason that we feel that the statistically slightly shortened life span (consider that we are mostly just social on a night out, a cigar and a pack, a lot of which of given out) is worth having a better night. We only have one life, both myself and most of the smokers I know are also heavy drinkers on these nights out, because we want to enjoy ourselves in our short lives, especially these even shorter few years where we are nearly totally free to do as we like without having to worry about being up for work the next morning.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pathetic thing to post! You are 'SICK' of peoples attitudes, well just don't come on a discussion then. When you watch someone you love coughing up blood in hospital, desperately wishing they hadn't wasted their life by stupidly taking up smoking at 16, as it is 'cool' and then not being able to give up for 60 years, maybe you will take a different stand. Let people have their say please. If others and I feel it should be banned, let us feel that.

Anecdotal, emotional arguments :biggrin:

Why do you think it is right to ban people from smoking cigarettes just because you know someone who got ill from it?
No, not at all.
The thing here is most of the posters are young enough to not have experienced a time when smoking was seen as ok, its getting less and less cool in recent years but people take the moral high ground because they go by their experience due to age.

I do not smoke and since the smoking ban seen a lot of evil comments about smokers to the point where its been close to if not saying smokers deserve to have violence used against them.

Absolutely anything can be bad for you nowadays, when people here are older and things they do are suddenly said to of been damaging then people will defend it.

Also of course theres peer pressure and social norms, people were shocked at me in past for not smoking.

Let people have their own choice instead of acting morally superior and nannying others. I am letting people have their say but if you're opinion is you want to ban certain things because you don't like them then expect to be called a knob.
Original post by Wilfred Little
Anecdotal, emotional arguments :biggrin:

Why do you think it is right to ban people from smoking cigarettes just because you know someone who got ill from it?

When did I say illness is my main reason for my view? The FACTS are my reasoning

Other than 1) illness, there is 2) it costs a huge amount of money 3) employees are allowed to have extra breaks otherwise known as 'fag breaks' when the non smokers do not have this 3) it smells terrible, not only ruining your home but your clothes and breath. Yuck. 4) cigarettes litter the streets 5) people take up smoking when younger and (obviously) change rapidly between 16 and 25, suddenly realise it is not cool yet are hooked, forever trying to lose the habit 6) Smokers experience reoccurring coughs, another unhygienic quality 7) Premature ageing 8) Scaly gross smelly skin 9) Terrible vision 10) low immune system 11) lung cancer 12) Heart disease 13) stained teeth 14) smelly hair 15) Early menopause 16) Miscarriages and birth defects 17) Yellow fingers 18) Blood cancer 19) High cholesterol 20) Effects of passive smoking on everyone else's health 21) Puffing smoke at everyone and flicking ash out of car windows 22) Burning, gross lips from the cigarette 23) Causing house fires 24) Hair loss/ hair not growing at all with split ends and dry 25) Burning holes in clothes and furniture 26) tar build up in your homes 27) Children worrying about their parents dying an early slow traumatic and unnecessary death 28) that CONSTANT worrying and constant realisation that the expensive addictive habit is in-fact killing you

Oh but it looks cool like those wicked old films, right? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Tabstercat
Let people have their own choice instead of acting morally superior and nannying others. I am letting people have their say but if you're opinion is you want to ban certain things because you don't like them then expect to be called a knob.

Please don't be hypocritical when you started 'nannying' my first comment I made which was in no way personal to anyone here. Oh and thank you for essentially calling me a knob in an indirect way, very mature.
Please don't be hypocritical when you started 'nannying' my first comment I made which was in no way personal to anyone here. Oh and thank you for essentially calling me a knob in an indirect way, very mature.

Can you not understand the difference between disagreeing with an opinion and wanting something banned?
When did I say illness is my main reason for my view? The FACTS are my reasoning

Other than 1) illness, there is 2) it costs a huge amount of money 3) employees are allowed to have extra breaks otherwise known as 'fag breaks' when the non smokers do not have this 3) it smells terrible, not only ruining your home but your clothes and breath. Yuck. 4) cigarettes litter the streets 5) people take up smoking when younger and (obviously) change rapidly between 16 and 25, suddenly realise it is not cool yet are hooked, forever trying to lose the habit 6) Smokers experience reoccurring coughs, another unhygienic quality 7) Premature ageing 8) Scaly gross smelly skin 9) Terrible vision 10) low immune system 11) lung cancer 12) Heart disease 13) stained teeth 14) smelly hair 15) Early menopause 16) Miscarriages and birth defects 17) Yellow fingers 18) Blood cancer 19) High cholesterol 20) Effects of passive smoking on everyone else's health 21) Puffing smoke at everyone and flicking ash out of car windows 22) Burning, gross lips from the cigarette 23) Causing house fires 24) Hair loss/ hair not growing at all with split ends and dry 25) Burning holes in clothes and furniture 26) tar build up in your homes 27) Children worrying about their parents dying an early slow traumatic and unnecessary death 28) that CONSTANT worrying and constant realisation that the expensive addictive habit is in-fact killing you

Oh but it looks cool like those wicked old films, right? :smile:

Right so you think we should ban it because it stains people's teeth? Should we ban coffee too?

What you posted is ridiculous. If someone burns holes in their own furniture why is that your concern? Passive smoking is a non issue, you can't smoke in the workplace or bars or pubs or football grounds or hospitals or restaurants or airports or in cars with kids in.

I am not going to bother addressing every point here because you are actually stupid.
Making them illegal would cause more problems.
No. First and foremost, it's my right to smoke if I want to. Worried about my health? My problem, not yours.

What is it today with people wanting to ban anything and everything they don't like and policing every part of our lives? It's not like I'm blowing smoke in babies' faces.

People can't smoke in restaurants and public buildings, and that's understandable. But to tell us we can't smoke at all? Who are you?

Also, think about the costs and use of police resources that a ban would entail, as well as the inevitable criminal elements that would be created and have to be tackled. Have we learned nothing?
I have no problem with people smoking, however what i don't like is; standing at the bus stop and having it blown in my face, or when walking have a person's smoke fly backwards and choke me. People shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public !
Original post by #JOSH45#
I have no problem with people smoking, however what i don't like is; standing at the bus stop and having it blown in my face, or when walking have a person's smoke fly backwards and choke me. People shouldn't be allowed to smoke in public !

I don't like people complaining about other people's life choices, they shouldn't be allowed to do so in public.
Original post by Jammy Duel
I don't like people complaining about other people's life choices, they shouldn't be allowed to do so in public.

I totally agree with you, I think other people's choices are their own business and therefore should not involve me. However by making me inhale a tonne load of cigarrete smoke ,it starts to become my problem and involves me, so thats why i think it shouldn't be allowed in public.
I totally agree with you, I think other people's choices are their own business and therefore should not involve me. However by making me inhale a tonne load of cigarrete smoke ,it starts to become my problem and involves me, so thats why i think it shouldn't be allowed in public.

Your complains involve me, I am reading them, so they shouldn't be allowed in public.
Your complains involve me, I am reading them, so they shouldn't be allowed in public.

Well it doesn't if you don't read it 😕; it's your choice to come onto this thread and read what people say however its not my choice to be choked by someones cigarette smoke.
No. If people want to smoke, let them smoke. It is banned in public places, which is fair. Banning out right would be ridiculous. People already know the risks of smoking. Banning it is only going to cause people to smoke illegally, since many are not going to stop.
Well it doesn't if you don't read it 😕; it's your choice to come onto this thread and read what people say however its not my choice to be choked by someones cigarette smoke.

IS it not? Tell me about being completely surrounded all day by smokers, seems to be a common condition in this thread which very few people seem to actually ever see happening.

And hey, it's not only here I hear egocentric opinions, happens on the streets too :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
IS it not? Tell me about being completely surrounded all day by smokers, seems to be a common condition in this thread which very few people seem to actually ever see happening.

And hey, it's not only here I hear egocentric opinions, happens on the streets too :wink:

I can tell you don't go to my college 😒
I can tell you don't go to my college 😒

They allow people to break the law?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending