The Student Room Group

How to lose weights

Scroll to see replies

Weights? lol
Original post by WoodyMKC
Can I ask why, when the majority would agree that a bit of muscle mass in the right places on a women is vital for a great physique? And NO personal training qualifications = up to date knowledge on this stuff - he's a personal trainer, not a nutritionist, biochemist or any of that.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3678311&page=2&p=60136303#post60136303
Picture of my arm there, only fair I see yours now :tongue:

Puny arms :biggrin:
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Puny arms :biggrin:

They'll never be big enough :thumbsdown:
They'll never be big enough :thumbsdown:

In all honesty , they look pretty big. How many inches are they unflexed?
Original post by Harriett071
I'm not 'afraid' of gaining weight, I just feel
No need to gain muscle and I have a cheat day every 2 weeks, so I eat what I like. If I actually was anorexic, you'd be being extremely disrespectful and uncaring. Seriously get over yourself.

No, if you were anorexic and made a thread saying "I'm anorexic and need help, any advice?" I'd be very sympathetic and full of advise. But you're coming into this forum and giving frankly horrific advice as someone who clearly doesn't have it together yourself - that's why it may appear that I'm being disrespectful to you, because sometimes being a bit harsh is the only way some people will think more than once about what you've said. However, advise is something you clearly don't want and you seem to know it all, so on that note, I'll leave you to it, you won't be getting a reply from me again which I'm sure you'll be delighted by :biggrin:
In all honesty , they look pretty big. How many inches are they unflexed?

Cheers buddy, taken 3 years of hard graft but arms have always been my strongest point genetically, put on 2-3 inches in my first 6 months of training and then the rest took another couple of years :biggrin: Who knows, measuring unflexed is like measuring your penis when it's soft :rofl: The standard method of measuring your biceps is flexed but cold (no pump) - 17" in my case, though in all honesty they're pumped in the pick which takes them up to about 18 and a half. My goal is 18" cold but no doubt I'd want 19" if I reached 18 :lol:
Cheers buddy, taken 3 years of hard graft but arms have always been my strongest point genetically, put on 2-3 inches in my first 6 months of training and then the rest took another couple of years :biggrin: Who knows, measuring unflexed is like measuring your penis when it's soft :rofl: The standard method of measuring your biceps is flexed but cold (no pump) - 17" in my case, though in all honesty they're pumped in the pick which takes them up to about 18 and a half. My goal is 18" cold but no doubt I'd want 19" if I reached 18 :lol:

Damm , as i suspected you got some big guns . I doubt il ever get 18 inch guns :frown: Well at least one part of my anatomy is 18 inchs :colone:
Original post by AliceVN
actually I joined yoga club in my school 3 times per week, for 6 months already,
people said that my body looks a little bit slimmer but the weight is the same :frown:

I dnt know why....
BUT i still feel I am very fat as BMI is 24 :frown:

Should I use weight control medicine or something like that ?

yoga won't help you lose weight in any significant way, you may gain a little muscle which will make you look a little better but unless you're doing a really really intense class you won't be burning many calories...

Stop drinking calorie filled drinks as they won't make you feel full like eating actual food will, keep yourself active every day even if it's just a little walk, make sure what you are eating is proper food and plenty of fruit and veg, don't let yourself get super hungry, snack on fruit
Damm , as i suspected you got some big guns . I doubt il ever get 18 inch guns :frown: Well at least one part of my anatomy is 18 inchs :colone:

I think it's only possible for me naturally because I have long limbs, so with growth proportions and all a shorter guy might be limited to 16-17 inch arms naturally whereas someone tall like me might be able to get to 18". My arms have hardly grown if at all over the past 6 months though so I dunno :frown: If I don't get anywhere with them in the next 6 months I'll just say **** it and start sticking needles in my arsecheeks :lol:
If my legs were in proportion to my arms I'd be pretty happy. The guys at my gym say I've got "Arnold genetics" which I'm not sure is a compliment on my bone structure and insertions or because they're taking the piss that my legs aren't quite matching up with my upper body :lol: Which is annoying because I've worked ****ing hard on my legs.

:rofl: Well you've got me beat there, only by a few mm though I might add :u:
I think it's only possible for me naturally because I have long limbs, so with growth proportions and all a shorter guy might be limited to 16-17 inch arms naturally whereas someone tall like me might be able to get to 18". My arms have hardly grown if at all over the past 6 months though so I dunno :frown: If I don't get anywhere with them in the next 6 months I'll just say **** it and start sticking needles in my arsecheeks :lol:
If my legs were in proportion to my arms I'd be pretty happy. The guys at my gym say I've got "Arnold genetics" which I'm not sure is a compliment on my bone structure and insertions or because they're taking the piss that my legs aren't quite matching up with my upper body :lol: Which is annoying because I've worked ****ing hard on my legs.

I got no legs too , although it's just my shin is unpropriate to my calves which have high insertions , great genetics :frown:. I'm quite tall as well and have long limbs but will take a while for guns your size. Anyways gn.
I got no legs too , although it's just my shin is unpropriate to my calves which have high insertions , great genetics :frown:. I'm quite tall as well and have long limbs but will take a while for guns your size. Anyways gn.

Yeah I've put a lot of size on my legs, but they've definitely not progressed at the same rate at which my arms have. They've grown nearly in proportion to other muscles though so I can't complain that much I guess.

Night mate :smile:
calculate your TDEE and eat 500 less than it to lose 1 lb per week, weight loss is the simplest thing ever but people love to complicate it, threads like these always bring out the broscientists. I wish this **** was taught in schools to everybody, brb nation of overweight people who have no clue about basic nutrition, one of the most important aspects for a high quality life.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by AliceVN
actually I joined yoga club in my school 3 times per week, for 6 months already,
people said that my body looks a little bit slimmer but the weight is the same :frown:

I dnt know why....
BUT i still feel I am very fat as BMI is 24 :frown:

Should I use weight control medicine or something like that ?

No you should not take "weight control medicine". For one, the over the counter ones (ones you don't need a prescription for) have minimal weight loss benefits and crappy side effects..like uncontolled greasy diarrohea. Secondly you will learn nothing from it.

Going to be brutally honest. Stop bring lazy and taking short cuts and stop being ignorant, weight loss is very simple if you are honest with yourself and put in the effort and committment. Weight loss is 80% diet. Start taking responsibilty for what you put in your mouth. Follow my advice in my first response and track calories on my fitness pal. Otherwise I guatantee you will be yo-yoing your weight for years to come.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by trapking
Calorie counting is complex for a beginner....

No matter if there is myfitnesspal or any other app. Tonnes and tonnes of people do not achieve their goals because they fail on calorie counting and get discouraged and end up spinning their wheels. If one takes this route then you have to be super strict and follow everything to an absolute tee (that is if youre serious about getting extreme results).

For the average person however who just wants to look good, toned and have cuts and definition showing you don't have to count calories. Life is too short to be thinking about what foods will fit my macros for the day (i am a firm believer that fitness should enrich your life not be your life)....

Nutrition is simple and doesnt have to be that complex....i'm in decent shape myself (abs and all that) and i dont count. It's up to an individual what method they use but for me i ain't about that counting life (hence why it is called personal training because it's personal to one's lifestyle) :wink:

I agree that macros can be complicated, but counting calories doesn't have to be, it only is if you do it to the extreme. You don't have to weigh all of your food and log everything into myfitnesspal, just having a good enough rough idea of what is going on is good enough. If you try eating a mixture of food one day and you gain weight the next, then you know to eat less next time and try cutting back one of the foods you ate.
*Flexs*

Original post by AliceVN
I'm a girl, a little bit chubby, BMI is 24 and I want to lose 5 weights...
any suggestions?

Use iifym.com
Work out your TDEE. Aim to eat 500 calories less than this figure a day
Use myfitnesspal to keep track of how many calories you're eating a day
You will lose weight

You should not use weight control medicine, most of it doesn't work and what does work is illegal and side effects of it include death.

You want to take little steps. The easiest way to start is cutting out all the junk food and liquid calories.

1. Drink more water or stuff with no calories (like diet coke but preferably stick to water).... avoid fruit juices.

2. No sweets (chocolate, cakes, biscuits all this junk)

3. Walk or do some sort of excersise. Eat plenty of veggies and meat and good quality whole foods.

4. Eat more often

Do those 4 things and you will lose weight....its all about building good habits and getting rid of bad habits (like eating unnecessary junk). If you end up craving junk too much then pick 1 day in the week where you will treat yourself to your favourite chocolate or something but only for 1 day. Of course there's other tedious ways of losing weight but i'm just giving you something very simply to follow.

Eat more often works for some, is disatrous for someone like myself. It's not great blanket advice imo

I'm just giving advice.

If you're giving advice, I'll give you some too :smile:

Go to a doctor, @5ft 90lbs you are underweight... by a lot. Idc what your personal trainer who is thinking of not a lot more than £££ says. You are very thin, it is in your best interests to gain weight

Considering I have a personal trainer, I think he'd refuse to train me if he thought I was anorexic 😂 I'm perfectly fine thank you, anorexia is a state of mind, a mental illness not just a body weight! I have a great body and I'm not ashamed of it. So no I'm not anorexic and BMI isn't good to go off when you're under the average height, or have a lot of muscle mass. I don't take any notice of it

You aren't shockingly short and you don't have a lot of muscle, BMI as a rough guide is just fine. You come A LONG way under it

Can I ask why, when the majority would agree that a bit of muscle mass in the right places on a women is vital for a great physique? And NO personal training qualifications = up to date knowledge on this stuff - he's a personal trainer, not a nutritionist, biochemist or any of that.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3678311&page=2&p=60136303#post60136303
Picture of my arm there, only fair I see yours now :tongue:

GAINZ

Moar squatz and deadz.

Less Dorian Yates, more strength training... come to the dark side :mwuaha:

That'll do for this edition of putdowns :wink:
Original post by Angry cucumber
GAINZ

Moar squatz and deadz.

Less Dorian Yates, more strength training... come to the dark side :mwuaha:

That'll do for this edition of putdowns :wink:

My pins are lagging compared to my arms but I still got more meat on my thighs than most of the squat-rack goonz in my gym :biggrin: Tbf squatting twice a week has always given me decent gains so I reckon I'll go back to it, replaced it with leg press pretty recently just through laziness probably but it's not impressing me, so might get back on the rack. Might even catch me doing a bit of 3x5 or something :lol:

I've changed my training up quite a bit recently to include more volume and less "intensity" stuff and all that tbh, doesn't quite resemble Dorian's methods at all atm really :lol: Ditched the set-extenders and added in more ramp-up sets for volume, generally doing 3 or 4 sets (obviously 4 on the big exercises, 3 on smaller ones) starting easy and then going to all-out failure for 6-8 on the last set and leaving it there. Here and there I'll throw in a bit of DY type stuff on any isolation movements at the end just because it's much quicker and it's nice to finish off with a dropset for da pumpz :biggrin: Strength gains have been good, just gotta give it some time and see what the size gains are like :smile:
everything you said was fine until i read.....

Why?
Original post by peanutbutterjam
Why?

Because at what time you eat during the day has absolutely no physical effect on weight gain or loss, there is 0 scientific evidence to support it. So it seems silly to say don't eat after 9pm.
Original post by SophieSmall
Because at what time you eat during the day has absolutely no physical effect on weight gain or loss, there is 0 scientific evidence to support it. So it seems silly to say don't eat after 9pm.

Fair enough, it's a force of habit for me but I guess you learn something new everyday.
Original post by peanutbutterjam
Fair enough, it's a force of habit for me but I guess you learn something new everyday.

It's alright, I can understand why people put restrictions on what times they eat if it prevents them over eating. But not everyone feels the same about eating. I personally don't do well on 3 big meals a day, I get too hungry. So I have lots of little meals and eat before I go to sleep to prevent me thinking about food when I'm trying to get to sleep.

Quick Reply

Latest