The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

So we've just been asked to do our preliminary options for A-Level. I chose Maths, Further Maths, Physics and German, and now I'm worried Physics might be too much. I might do Chemistry instead.

Which subject would you say will give me more opportunities in the future?
Reply 1
Further Maths isn't really necessary at A level unless you want to do Maths at university, in my opinion. Languages are always nice when you're applying for things, as it makes your skills broader and is something 'interesting'. In your position, I'd probably keep those subjects and then drop Further Maths after the first year.
Original post by AH127
Further Maths isn't really necessary at A level unless you want to do Maths at university, in my opinion. Languages are always nice when you're applying for things, as it makes your skills broader and is something 'interesting'. In your position, I'd probably keep those subjects and then drop Further Maths after the first year.

Thing is, we have to do full A-Levels from next year, so we can't drop any of the subjects. And I don't mind doing Further Maths. It's mainly the Physics/Chemistry that I'm worried about - lots of people say Physics is very hard, and I'm hoping it'll be worth it, since I might want to do something related to Maths or Physics.
Reply 3
Original post by BlueBlueBells
Thing is, we have to do full A-Levels from next year, so we can't drop any of the subjects. And I don't mind doing Further Maths. It's mainly the Physics/Chemistry that I'm worried about - lots of people say Physics is very hard, and I'm hoping it'll be worth it, since I might want to do something related to Maths or Physics.

I can't speak from personal experience, but from people I know and just by looking at the number of students taking either subject, Chemistry is much harder than Physics. Everyone doing both subjects that I've met have told me this, and anyone also doing Further Maths has said that it's much harder than both. Everyone's different though. You should have a look at content from any courses you're thinking of taking if you want to be extra sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Depends on what you want to do at uni
Further Maths is good if you like maths
Physics involves maths, especially mechanics
the difficulty of further maths depends on the modules you pick. if you do all the mechanics modules then it'll be insanely difficult, however if you do S1-S4 and D1-D2 it will be easier.
I can't remember all of the modules our teacher told us we were doing, but I think M1 and M2 are there, as well as Pure Maths and then possibly S1-S2. Or I might be sort of confusing Maths with Further Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest