The Student Room Group

I've received a speeding letter, Will I be eligible for a speed awareness course ?

Hi

I received a speeding letter today, my speed was recorded at 47 mph on a 40 mph road.

On the form it reads somewhere about you could be eligible for a speed awareness course which would mean no fine, no points on license.

Do you think I will be eligible ?

1. Been driving over 3 years, had license nearly 5 years
. No accidents, no convictions, no points
. Only 7 mph above speed limit

do you think I will be eligible to complete a speed awareness course ?

Also how long approx from now will the speed awareness course take place ?

thank you
Anybody ?
Probably but it varies from force to force, if you do get the opportunity take it you don't want those points
yes, you will
Original post by Happy as punch
Hi

I received a speeding letter today, my speed was recorded at 47 mph on a 40 mph road.

On the form it reads somewhere about you could be eligible for a speed awareness course which would mean no fine, no points on license.

Do you think I will be eligible ?

1. Been driving over 3 years, had license nearly 5 years
. No accidents, no convictions, no points
. Only 7 mph above speed limit

do you think I will be eligible to complete a speed awareness course ?

Also how long approx from now will the speed awareness course take place ?

thank you

Pretty sure you should be mate. I was 10mph over and I was eligible, I think you only become ineligible for excessive speed and can only attend a course once in the space of 3 years. You need to fill in the form and send it back ASAP as well because I believe there's a time limit on the offer. It's a pretty boring 5 hour class but it's a laid back atmosphere, just for the one day, cheaper than a fine and is better than getting points.
Original post by WoodyMKC
Pretty sure you should be mate. I was 10mph over and I was eligible, I think you only become ineligible for excessive speed and can only attend a course once in the space of 3 years. You need to fill in the form and send it back ASAP as well because I believe there's a time limit on the offer. It's a pretty boring 5 hour class but it's a laid back atmosphere, just for the one day, cheaper than a fine and is better than getting points.

Thanks for the reassurance Bro, I hope to sleep better tonight

I only got the letter this morning, I intend to send it in to them on Monday , think it's the police constabulary in Preston where it gets sent too, though I live about 20 miles away in Skelmersdale

I will send it at the post office and ask for a receipt.

I have a few questions please

. Should I fill in the form in black ink and must each letter be capital ?

. can I give them my mobile number instead of my house phone number ?

. what happens after I send the form to them, what do I recieve next ?

.how long after being notified of speeding do I have to wait until I sit the course and when does it have to be paid.

. do they ring your contact number or do they mainly just contact you via post or email ?

Please answer each question and add anything else you think I should know.

Thanks and God Bless
Thanks for the reassurance Bro, I hope to sleep better tonight

I only got the letter this morning, I intend to send it in to them on Monday , think it's the police constabulary in Preston where it gets sent too, though I live about 20 miles away in Skelmersdale

I will send it at the post office and ask for a receipt.

I have a few questions please

. Should I fill in the form in black ink and must each letter be capital ?

. can I give them my mobile number instead of my house phone number ?

. what happens after I send the form to them, what do I recieve next ?

.how long after being notified of speeding do I have to wait until I sit the course and when does it have to be paid.

. do they ring your contact number or do they mainly just contact you via post or email ?

Please answer each question and add anything else you think I should know.

Thanks and God Bless

I'll try but my memory's a bit fuzzy, been pretty much dead on two years since I got caught funnily enough :lol: I was doing 60 on a 50mph carriageway :colondollar:

Can't remember, but yeah just do it just in case, can never go wrong with black ink and block capitals :biggrin:

Give them any number you like, chances are they won't ring it anyway IME :redface:

You'll receive another letter in the post, I think with details on how to book your course online? If my memory serves me correctly lol.

You pay when you book it online, how long you have to wait depends on the waiting list at the place you're attending.

Think that's everything :smile:
Original post by WoodyMKC
I'll try but my memory's a bit fuzzy, been pretty much dead on two years since I got caught funnily enough :lol: I was doing 60 on a 50mph carriageway :colondollar:

Can't remember, but yeah just do it just in case, can never go wrong with black ink and block capitals :biggrin:

Give them any number you like, chances are they won't ring it anyway IME :redface:

You'll receive another letter in the post, I think with details on how to book your course online? If my memory serves me correctly lol.

You pay when you book it online, how long you have to wait depends on the waiting list at the place you're attending.

Think that's everything :smile:

Thank you.

I live at home with my Mum and I don't want her knowing I've been caught speeding, she won't go mad at me or anything, she'll be supportive if anything, but I don't want anybody to know I've been speeding, albeit only slightly, because it makes me look like a bad driver I guess.

I'd rather not give them my landline phone number because they may ring
And my Mum might pick up the phone.
I'm worried that they won't accept the form if I send it back without my telephone number on but with my mobile on instead

Did they ever contact you via telephone ?

Do I have to ask them on the form about the speed awareness course ?

do you think I'll sit and pay for my speed awareness course before new year or after new year ?
I'd hope after new year as I have an MOT due soon and Christmas to pay for, I'd have to borrow the money for the course from my Mum if its before New year and She'll probably ask me why I need the money, though I doubt she would ask

Again, please answer each question

Cheers
(edited 8 years ago)
My mate got done doing 39 in a 30 about 6months after passing and was offered it, so you should get the option :smile:
Original post by MattyJMP
My mate got done doing 39 in a 30 about 6months after passing and was offered it, so you should get the option :smile:

Cheers.

Does it determine on where we live ?
Cheers.

Does it determine on where we live ?

Nope, just fill in the relevant part of the form. The checking you're eligible bit is just that you have the correct license, U.K. Resident, those sorts of things. I think you can be up to 10% + 9mph over the limit as well. As long as you're not an illegal immigrant, and you get the form back in time, you WILL get the course, no problems :smile:
Nope, just fill in the relevant part of the form. The checking you're eligible bit is just that you have the correct license, U.K. Resident, those sorts of things. I think you can be up to 10% + 9mph over the limit as well. As long as you're not an illegal immigrant, and you get the form back in time, you WILL get the course, no problems :smile:

Thank you,

Is it necessary I give them my landline telephone number or can I give them my mobile contact number instead?
Do they even ring anyway ?
You can give a mobile number. They won't ring
I don't think anyone will refuse a mobile number nowadays, a huge percentage of people (myself included) have no land line and only use mobile phones. I've done a speed awareness course and must have put down my mobile as I have no land line and they accepted it fine. My course was two or three months after I got the first letter.
Original post by Nuffles
I don't think anyone will refuse a mobile number nowadays, a huge percentage of people (myself included) have no land line and only use mobile phones. I've done a speed awareness course and must have put down my mobile as I have no land line and they accepted it fine. My course was two or three months after I got the first letter.

Thanks

I only got the letter on Saturday and I will post it tomorrow, Tuesday

So, does that mean I may not have to pay for the course until next year ?
Thanks

I only got the letter on Saturday and I will post it tomorrow, Tuesday

So, does that mean I may not have to pay for the course until next year ?

You pay for the course when you book it online , you have x amount of days to book it once you receive offer of the course.
I think you have to book within 28 days.
Original post by Joeey009
You pay for the course when you book it online , you have x amount of days to book it once you receive offer of the course.
I think you have to book within 28 days.

So is it likely I'll have to pay it before Christmas then ? I'm going to send off the NIP letter either today or tommorow, I got the letter on Saturday.

I have an MOT, repairs and Christmas all within the next few weeks, not sure I'm able to afford paying the course until after Christmas mate

Not necessarily. Each police force is free to set their own rules regarding what does and doesn't qualify a driver for a speed awareness course. There are guidelines that they have to adhere to but there is a lot of flexibility for each force within those guidelines and some are much more strict than others.

A family member of mine was caught doing 37 in a 30 in Bath and was not eligible for the speed awareness course, so the OP is in no way guaranteed to get on the course, although it is likely that they will.
Reply 18
We have a very unfortunate situation now that each Police force does there own thing which is very unfair. If it went to court, the guidelines the court has to use are very clear.

You will most probably be offered a course, if not it could be a fixed penalty notice and 3 points.

The Police rarely send stuff to court these days unless its very high speed which is why so many courts are closing due to lack of work. Its also having a huge impact on the legal side, I wouldn't want to be doing a law degree, criminal law work might be hard to find at the end of the course.

Latest