The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

My favourite pro veganism quotation!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by tysonmaniac
And also other than that, while I kind of endorse veganism, I think the fact that there are so many smart people who have thought about it and decided not to be vegetarian/vegan is a good indication that we should exercise scepticism.

Strange logic. There are many highly intelligent religious people, too..
I never said it was the fault of the diet, I said the diet is often a disguising method and that vegetarians and vegans are far more likely to have eating disorders. They're also far more likely to suffer from anxiety and an irregular menstrual cycle...

Also my diet doesn't cause the death of animals. My diet and lifestyle choice is all about not causing the death and destruction of animals.

:facepalm: I didn't say diet, but animals have to die for us to survive - that is how it's always been, we destroy hundreds of ecosystems to build our cities so we have somewhere to live. We destroy ecosystems for farm land so even the vegans have something to eat, we rip up ecosystems to mine for the materials we need to build the world around us, hundreds of animals die in failed drug trials to ensure our medicines are safe. The only way to avoid having animals die for you to survive every single day is to swear off modern life, to go off grid, living in a cave huddled for warmth like our ancestors. But then you've not got the supplements needed to replace the nutrients you miss from your diet from not eating animal products, so...

Finally we do not need to concert grazing land to farm land. There are enough crops grown to feed everyone as it stands. We just feed a lot of it to factory farmed animals. If you think all the animals you meat eaters eat are raised on pastures in cushy conditions then you are deluded.

Errr no. You're still going to need to convert that land to meet supply because a lot of animal feed isn't fit for human consumption, it's spent malts and grains from brewing, straw, by-products of confectionary manufacture, by products from processing of crops for human consumption. It's not all grains.

Now, next one of the ones you've ignored - we stop producing meat, what happens to all the domesticated animals we have like cats, dogs, reptiles and other meat eaters; they can't survive in the wild and you can't feed them a vegetarian diet. What are you feeding them if there's no more meat being produced?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If we stopped eating meat overnight what do we do about the huge numbers of animals we've reared for food? They'll take up land space and would be killed in the wild because they're essentially domestic animals now. Also what about the thousands (at the very least) who'd lose their jobs?

I don't understand because it's wrong, don't talk down to me as though you're in some elite club because you choose to live on leaves

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it's 100% true no matter how much you want to deny it - we've dehomed and ultimately killed millions of animals to create the world around us, and given the use of things like pesticides, plenty of insects are killed on a daily basis just to provide your food, even if you're not eating meat. The truth doesn't cease to exist just because you don't want to accept it.
'Control their breeding' - sounds a lot like kill offspring if they have too many. If we stopped eating meat the animal populations would increase and then require more land. What you're also completely ignoring is that most animals live on land owned by a farmer, if he can no longer make any money they are simply costing money which means he'll want them off his land and no one else will take them, then where do they go?

You said I wouldn't understand some ridiculous quote because I'm not a vegan, the manner in which you said it showed you think not eating meat makes you superior. I don't need to justify eating meat, it's simply the way of nature that certain animals die for food and like I've explained above the meat industry has grown too big to shut it down. Why do you not feel guilty taking away the life of innocent plants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you
I need meat I can't live on salad
Original post by daydreamer4life
This is my viewpoint as a vegan: Even if I had a neighbor who looked after chickens and loved them and didn't eat them, only used them for eggs, I STILL wouldn't buy eggs from them.
1. After being a vegan for ethical reasons, I discovered how healthy being veganism is. Eggs are full of cholesterol and fat - what person who cares about their health is going to eat them?
2. Eggs are essentially chicken menstruations - unfertilised waste. Thats enough to put me off.
3. Everyone owning backyard chickens and free-range farms isn't sustainable - its how we started before getting to factory farms - watch the documentary Cowspiracy to find out more about this.

huhhh really????? I never even thought it was that
Veganism is for pretentious nonces.
Original post by _icecream
mmmmm num num

Not bad, what marinade have you got on those?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not bad, what marinade have you got on those?

Oh it's a picture I found from Google :smile:
Original post by JD1lla
Strange logic. There are many highly intelligent religious people, too..

That is not quite true. There are smart religious people sure, but smart people on the whole are not religious. Mostly. On the other hand, while smart people may be slightly more vegetarian I think that this is mostly a function of class.

Also I am not entirely confident about religion for this reason. I see fewer convincing arguments in favour of being religious than in favour of the holocaust having happened or the earth rotating, but no smart people believe that those last two are false so I end up questioning myself more about my (lack) of religious views, see?
Original post by The Shed End
Veganism is for pretentious nonces.

This is the most accurate post in the thread. They are righteous as well, which I cannot stand. Ask them why they are vegan and they will say it's because they don't want animal cruelty. lol, because I do?
Don't make out as though any other animal is as sentient as humans, most animals probably have little more than very basic feelings.

To be honest most vegans/vegetarians are hypocrites anyway, they use products containing animals.

Here's a revolutionary idea, perhaps it's like being gay or black; it says absolutely nothing about any of your personal attribute or characteristics.

£2-3 a day? That's not working class that's extreme poverty

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I assume you also use vegan toothpaste, candles, deodorant and soap? So many everyday things contain animal products

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tell us more about how humanity is a herbivorous species, and about how all carnivorous or other omnivorous species are "ruthless destroyers" that do not know "health or peace" and "kill each other" because if it?
Original post by daydreamer4life
This is my viewpoint as a vegan: Even if I had a neighbor who looked after chickens and loved them and didn't eat them, only used them for eggs, I STILL wouldn't buy eggs from them.
1. After being a vegan for ethical reasons, I discovered how healthy being veganism is. Eggs are full of cholesterol and fat - what person who cares about their health is going to eat them?
2. Eggs are essentially chicken menstruations - unfertilised waste. Thats enough to put me off.
3. Everyone owning backyard chickens and free-range farms isn't sustainable - its how we started before getting to factory farms - watch the documentary Cowspiracy to find out more about this.

I tried veganism and became so vitamin D and B12 deficient that I now have lifelong bone and tendon problems. It had started when I became vegetarian as I ate no fish and little dairy, but exercise + veganism destroyed my hands. It will probably never get better, and I can never do high impact exercise again which means I'll probably become fat as I get older. I really really regret it.

It isn't healthy for everyone unfortunately. Specially those of us who have *******sed up joints to begin with.

And before you start on balanced diets vitamin supplemented food is really expensive, and impractical to source depending on where you live.
Reply 137
Original post by redferry
I tried veganism and became so vitamin D and B12 deficient that I now have lifelong bone and tendon problems. It had started when I became vegetarian as I ate no fish and little dairy, but exercise + veganism destroyed my hands. It will probably never get better, and I can never do high impact exercise again which means I'll probably become fat as I get older. I really really regret it.

It isn't healthy for everyone unfortunately. Specially those of us who have *******sed up joints to begin with.

And before you start on balanced diets vitamin supplemented food is really expensive, and impractical to source depending on where you live.

Unsure on B12, But Vit D3 is really cheap and you can get some good, high quality stuff.

I'm sorry to hear about joint issues. Rowing is very low impact, but can be tough on joints if you train hard. In terms of being overweight in the future, that can easily be avoided. Swimming?
Given the number of things that contain animal products I find it hard to imagine you avoid them all. Things you'd never even imagine like plastic bags, tires, fireworks and even computers all can contain animal products

Posted from TSR Mobile
It just demonstrates the pointlessness of it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending