The Student Room Group

Students sign petition to prevent Germain Greer from speaking at Cardiff Uni

Uni's are supposed to be places where free speech is promoted. Germaine Greer is a bit of a has been from the 70s, but this petition is just bloody ridiculous. Student activists need to get a grip.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/oct/23/petition-urges-cardiff-university-to-cancel-germain-greer-lecture

Scroll to see replies

students gonna student
Morons.
Obviously she should be allowed to speak at the uni, I'm more worried about the fact that there are some people who would actually want to listen to her.
Reply 4
This seems to be happening every few weeks across the country, vocal nutjobs should have no right to physically stop debates taking place. It seems Unis are no place at all for intellectual discourse anymore.
Original post by SJSS
This seems to be happening every few weeks across the country, vocal nutjobs should have no right to physically stop debates taking place. It seems Unis are no place at all for intellectual discourse anymore.
To be fair unis have been lowering standards, especially because of government subsidies (before the change to student fees), GCSE grade inflation, and students easily accessing loans and grants from the government.
Original post by YellowWallpaper
Uni's are supposed to be places where free speech is promoted. Germaine Greer is a bit of a has been from the 70s, but this petition is just bloody ridiculous. Student activists need to get a grip.

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/oct/23/petition-urges-cardiff-university-to-cancel-germain-greer-lecture

There I was thinking students had some to their senses and rallied against her obnoxious mysoginist views against men, but no she's "transphobic" - give me a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
To be fair unis have been lowering standards, especially because of government subsidies (before the change to student fees), GCSE grade inflation, and students easily accessing loans and grants from the government.

What has govt subsidies got to do with lowering standards? This makes no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
What has govt subsidies got to do with lowering standards? This makes no sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Free education (via government subsidies) meant that there was little financial disincentives for students to care about their studies at university, and similarly, a direct cash supply for universities independent of their graduate students' future financial success.
Reply 9
Free education (via government subsidies) meant that there was little financial disincentives for students to care about their studies at university, and similarly, a direct cash supply for universities independent of their graduate students' future financial success.

Uni was free for decades before 2000, you do realise that. If anything they've been dumbed down since then because they let anybody with a pulse in. Not because of free subsidies, you need to do your homework

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Uni was free for decades before 2000, you do realise that. If anything they've been dumbed down since then because they let anybody with a pulse in. Not because of free subsidies, you need to do your homework

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's a mixture of both. Government subsidies allowed universities to continuously dumb down their syllabus to widen their student intake, precisely because the universities had the state to pay tuition fees and were not creditors to their students.
Reply 11
It's a mixture of both. Government subsidies allowed universities to continuously dumb down their syllabus to widen their student intake, precisely because the universities had the state to pay tuition fees and were not creditors to their students.

No, subsidies from the govt does not influence the university curriculum at all. Never did back in the 70s when there were no tuition fees, students were given full grants to study and didn't have to take out any loans, and it doesn't now with 9k fees and ridiculous student debt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Quackquack1
There I was thinking students had some to their senses and rallied against her obnoxious mysoginist views against men, but no she's "transphobic" - give me a break.

So in other words, simply changing the word "men" to "transgender people" caused you to not care any more? Wow, that says a lot about you.

Also, "misogynist views against men"? I don't even.....
Original post by driftawaay
Obviously she should be allowed to speak at the uni, I'm more worried about the fact that there are some people who would actually want to listen to her.

Haha, exactly.

The whole of the authoritarian "left" is in an awful state. It's imploding in on itself.
All universities need to grow some balls and ignore these authoritarian scumbags. It's a bit of an irony though isn't it for people like Greer. The attitudes and people she is coming up against now are a result of the seeds she sowed.

I'd be tempted to suggest that any students found engaging in forms of censorship within the University should be expelled, because what they are doing is simply intolerable and goes completely against the values Universities should stand for.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by limetang
All universities need to grow some balls and ignore these authoritarian scumbags. It's a bit of an irony though isn't it for people like Greer. The attitudes and people she is coming up against now are a result of the seeds she sowed.

The left is like a black hole. Like a vacuum, there is an endless desire to move as far away as possible from what they consider immoral, to prove themselves as being as moral as possible. The gaping hole left behind will suck any stragglers in.
Reply 16
"No examples of Greer’s alleged positions on transgender people were cited by the petition." from the article in OP, last line

You can damn well bet no one actually went to find out what she believes before signing that petition....
Do you remember when the NUS started its no platform policy and people were okay with it because it was horrible fascists like nick griffin and so that was fine. And remember people,at the time saying that this would escalate to people simply censoring anybody they didn't agree with? And remember those people being told they were nut job conspiracy theorists... Yeah good times
Original post by TheNote
"No examples of Greer’s alleged positions on transgender people were cited by the petition." from the article in OP, last line

You can damn well bet no one actually went to find out what she believes before signing that petition....

I've had a bit of contempt towards Greer ever since she suggested that a young girl kissing her father goodnight was a flirtatious act on QT. Still, I imagine hardly anyone actually read what she said. And even if it is scandalous. So what. She's one of the most famous feminists of the 20th century. Cardiff is a ****hole of a uni anyway.

I don't think this has anything to do with unis lowering standards. Most ordinary people at uni are fine with listening to speaker's whose opinions they may disagree with. The problem here is student unions getting on their high horse, and the idiotic departments that listen to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending