The Student Room Group

EU force UK farmers to display pro EU propaganda

Sounds like something Goebbels would have thought up. EU is demanding that UK farmers display signs saying they received EU grants (that really UK taxpayers have paid for & for every 49p we get from the EU the UK has paid in £1).

It has been labelled a cynical move by the EU to promote pro EU propaganda in the run up to the referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/11952296/Farmers-forced-to-erect-EU-billboards.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Most farmers want to stay in the EU because they don't want the risk of loosing EU money.
What's with all the comparisons to the Nazis? I know history education in the UK is pretty poor, but trying to draw comparisons between being asked to put up a billboard and a vicious regime that cost the lives of millions of people really scrapes the barrel.

They aren't being forced. It is simply a condition of receiving a grant. Is erecting a billboard in exchange for at least £388,000 really such a ****ing hardship? They can always choose to not receive the grant and maybe try to make their bloated, inefficient businesses work without being dependent on state aid.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Maker
Most farmers want to stay in the EU because they don't want the risk of loosing EU money.

Yea our government couldn't just redistribute the Eu contributions once we have left.....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by paul514
Yea our government couldn't just redistribute the Eu contributions once we have left.....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you are farmer?
Original post by Maker
Are you are farmer?

That's not relevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by paul514
That's not relevant

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is because many farmers need EU money to stay in business, if you are not a farmer, you have no stake in getting EU money.
Reply 7
Just without the Death Camps, endless wars, militarised society or really anything connecting it to the Nazi's or a German empire.
You Europhobes really are a bunch of big babies aren't you. You don't win the public over by whinging and wallowing in confected self-pity.

Every time I see something in the news about some useless Tory backbench Europhobe bleating about purdah or the wording of the question or whether Nigel Farage is too toxic for public consumption, I can't help but laugh softly to myself: it's the same nonsense from bottom to top.

Then I return to my normal pro-European routine and have a **** into a 50 euro note while picturing Merkel, Juncker and Lagarde engaging in ever closer union on the EFDD benches.
Love all the racist comments at the bottom of the article.

"I have started sticking two fingers up to drivers of vehicles with foreign EU number plates."

"I'm in Kent - we are flooded with foregin trucks and cars. They drive like loonies. I also try to be rude to the eastern Europeans I come across- but they usually no understand ze lingo so my comments are wasted."

"Be careful, I work with an ex-Plod.He told me they realised the Polish start drinking from Friday lunchtime, wherever they are ...That includes at the wheel of 44 Tonnes of Death.
"

"I always give them a wide berth after one tried to pull out as I was half way past him on the M2. Suppose that's what happes when you let a Roumanian change from a horse and cart to an HGV."
(edited 8 years ago)
This is only for those claiming on the Countryside Stewardship Scheme which is replacing the ELS, HLS, UELS, OELS and EWLS. Which means it does not effect the Basic Farm Payments Scheme which all farmers receive.

This is all part of the most recent CAP reform which I'm sure you have all been following very closely. I think this move is actually positive because it shows those entered onto the CSS are going above and beyond to do more for the countryside rather than just the bare minimum. And it allows members of the public to see more being done.
Original post by Maker
It is because many farmers need EU money to stay in business, if you are not a farmer, you have no stake in getting EU money.

No, some farmers need subsidies wherever the money comes from and as the eu are just redistributing half the money we pay to them back to ourselves we can simply send it directly to the farmers so like I said it's not relevant

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker

Actually you don't have to be a farmer in order to get EU subsidies.
Why are British farmers accepting money from the Third Reich Nazi EUSSR? Surely they should refuse the CAP money on principle to preserve British sovereignty, it's like accepting blood money.

Would you accept money from ISIS? So why would you accept money from the EU?
Reply 14
Original post by MagicNMedicine
Why are British farmers accepting money from the Third Reich Nazi EUSSR? Surely they should refuse the CAP money on principle to preserve British sovereignty, it's like accepting blood money.

Would you accept money from ISIS? So why would you accept money from the EU?

Did you just compare the EU to ISIS?

I'm telling you... the reasoning of people hardcore on leaving the EU is hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by *Stefan*
Did you just compare the EU to ISIS?

I'm telling you... the reasoning of people hardcore on leaving the EU is hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be fair to him, I'm fairly sure he was mocking the earlier comments comparing the EU to the Nazis.
Reply 16
Original post by Olie
To be fair to him, I'm fairly sure he was mocking the earlier comments comparing the EU to the Nazis.

I hope so (and I apologise if this were the case). It's just difficult to understand when someone's joking considering I've seen hardcore anti-EU people use these arguments.
Original post by Ace123
Sounds like something Goebbels would have thought up. EU is demanding that UK farmers display signs saying they received EU grants (that really UK taxpayers have paid for & for every 49p we get from the EU the UK has paid in £1).

It has been labelled a cynical move by the EU to promote pro EU propaganda in the run up to the referendum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/agriculture/11952296/Farmers-forced-to-erect-EU-billboards.html

Why's that an issue?
Farmers love the EU.

That is why UKIP are offering to continue the stupid subsidies even if they leave the EU.

If you don't want the billboard, then don't apply for the scheme.
Oh yea just don't apply for a massive income.... Not an option for anyone with a brain

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending