The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omni Vanitas
Not really, by having two (or more) interviews at different colleges everyone has the same statistical chance of getting an offer.

Does that actually happen? Two people getting interviews at two different places, I mean.
Original post by theonetruequeen
Does that actually happen? Two people getting interviews at two different places, I mean.

Oh ofc! Everyone gets at least one more interview at another college.
Original post by Pcabezas
As far as I know, it all happens by chance. I remember reading somewhere that it was made by a computer randomly.

Really?! I find the idea that any part of Oxford has a computer system that could do that strangely startling...

I am now thinking that it might just be done in a way that those colleges that receive less applications are compesated.

I think that every college gets at least some open applications- I know of people who were allocated to even the most consistently oversubscribed colleges. There must be some distribution plan as well, if only b/c they can't know exactly how many open apps there will be in any given year.
Original post by DCDude
Really?! I find the idea that any part of Oxford has a computer system that could do that strangely startling...

I think that every college gets at least some open applications- I know of people who were allocated to even the most consistently oversubscribed colleges. There must be some distribution plan as well, if only b/c they can't know exactly how many open apps there will be in any given year.

I was told by my teacher that ALL applications, regardless of the college of choice are seen on a 'Big List' by all colleges from day one.

The college of choice has first opportunity to interview and offer, but other colleges have the option to review the full application from the start and request an interview if they wish. If the college of choice chooses to not make an offer, anyone else can then swoop in and make one instead.

As for open applications, my teacher said these are randomly assigned (by computer maybe?) to colleges, and then the above process takes place.

However, my school does not send many students to Oxbridge, indeed I have decided not to apply to Oxford or Cambridge, and there do seem to be several versions of reality surrounding the Oxbridge application process. Just sayin'.

LYBS
Original post by AceAttorney123
Hey guys, any LMH applicants? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am :smile:
law, what about you?
Original post by applying2skool
Law with French Law! It's nice to meet a fellow Magdalen lawyer hopeful :biggrin:
I imagine you also got their acknowledgement email this morning.
Can I ask which subjects you're taking and what your predicted grades are?

Yes, I finally got an e-mail from them. I am an international student so I believe our grading systems are way too different.
However, If you are interested, my school leaving exams subjects are: History (in English), Civic education (combination of philosophy, politics and economics), English language and my maternity language. I am predicted to accomplish my school leaving exams on straight As (more precisely it could be seen as A*s). :smile: What about you?
Any Brasenose History applicants?:smile:
Original post by thehollowcrown
Any Brasenose History applicants?:smile:

right here
Original post by tamara98
Is anyone else also in that spiral of despair studying for entrance exams and writing essays thinking "man why on earth did I even bother applying" while stuffing their face with chocolate cake ? :frown:

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any Oriel PPEists? :smile:
Original post by adynaton

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awh, good luck ! What are you applying for ?
Original post by adynaton

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha.....this week has been a bit better as I've stopped eating jars of Nutella with a spoon and have moved on to 'only' entire banana cakes.

Imagine how it's gonna be after the exams and we can actually get rejected or not.....
Is it good or bad news if you get an interview at a college other than the one youve applied to, in addition to your preferred college? Also, is it possible to get one interview only from a college you haven't applied to?
Original post by Omni Vanitas
Oh ofc! Everyone gets at least one more interview at another college.

I know you were originally talking about maths, but to be clear this isn't true of all subjects!

Many subjects will only arrange interviews with one college to start with, but you might be asked to attend another set at another college for a variety of reasons. Others do however give interviews at another college as a matter of course. It's completely down to the department, there's no real standard procedure.
Original post by LoveToArgue
Is it good or bad news if you get an interview at a college other than the one youve applied to, in addition to your preferred college? Also, is it possible to get one interview only from a college you haven't applied to?

Neither and no
Original post by LoveToArgue

Original post by Eux
Neither and no

Actually, yes it's definitely possible to be reallocated to a different college prior to interview if a college is particularly oversubscribed. I believe its done randomly though, so isn't worth reading into if it happens.
Original post by or17
Hi I have applied to Jesus college to read French and History, how are you preparing for the HAT / MLAT? :smile:

Hi! I've applied for the same course, but at ChCh. For the tests, I'm studying mainly the subjunctive and special/irregular grammatical constructions (MLAT) and then doing specimen papers (HAT). I'm also looking through my old history textbook to get a sense of broad historical trends and patterns. What about you?
Anyone doing the TSA on here?? Just wondering is the oxford TSA section 1 same as the cambridge TSA? (Just wondering if it's worth trying those if I run out of the Oxford ones).
Original post by KombatWombat
Actually, yes it's definitely possible to be reallocated to a different college prior to interview if a college is particularly oversubscribed. I believe its done randomly though, so isn't worth reading into if it happens.

I'm sorry but that can't be true else it defeats the whole point of being able to choose a college. Everyone who applies to a certain college and is called to interview is guaranteed an interview at the college they applied to at the very minimum.

Latest

Trending

Trending