The Student Room Group

Which University?

I'm looking at Universities at the moment, and so far the Universities I like the look of are Aberystwyth, Bangor, Hull and Kent for French and Spanish, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the Languages Departments are like in these universities or anything else about them? Or any other universities that have a good language department (Although I'm not sure what universities I should apply to, as I got CDD in my AS Levels, but I'm going to resit some units, and my predicted grades are BBB.)
Reply 1
Original post by Tilly_Rose
I'm looking at Universities at the moment, and so far the Universities I like the look of are Aberystwyth, Bangor, Hull and Kent for French and Spanish, but I was wondering if anyone knows what the Languages Departments are like in these universities or anything else about them? Or any other universities that have a good language department (Although I'm not sure what universities I should apply to, as I got CDD in my AS Levels, but I'm going to resit some units, and my predicted grades are BBB.)

Hi,

My daughter chose Hull as her insurance choice for French and Spanish with Translation Studies and we visited the university twice, once on an open day and once on an applicant day. We both liked the department very much. The facilities were very good and the staff we spoke with were friendly, accommodating and seemed very competent (which I say as a language graduate myself, albeit many years ago).

Since you've mentioned a couple of Welsh universities, you might also like to look at Swansea, which my daughter also applied to and which we also visited and liked on an open day.

Ultimately, my daughter chose Essex where she is doing Modern Languages with Film Production. So far she is very happy with her choice, although admittedly she has only been there a month.

The other two universities she visited and applied to were Stirling and East Anglia.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions about any of the above universities, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by FionaMG
Hi,

My daughter chose Hull as her insurance choice for French and Spanish with Translation Studies and we visited the university twice, once on an open day and once on an applicant day. We both liked the department very much. The facilities were very good and the staff we spoke with were friendly, accommodating and seemed very competent (which I say as a language graduate myself, albeit many years ago).

Since you've mentioned a couple of Welsh universities, you might also like to look at Swansea, which my daughter also applied to and which we also visited and liked on an open day.

Ultimately, my daughter chose Essex where she is doing Modern Languages with Film Production. So far she is very happy with her choice, although admittedly she has only been there a month.

The other two universities she visited and applied to were Stirling and East Anglia.

Hope this helps. If you have any specific questions about any of the above universities, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer. :smile:

What did you think of the area around Hull University? Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to an open day, so I'm having to rely on other people's opinion of the University!
I also did have a look at Swansea University, but the course didn't interest me as much as others had.

Thanks, this information has been really useful!
Reply 3
Original post by Tilly_Rose
What did you think of the area around Hull University? Unfortunately, I won't be able to go to an open day, so I'm having to rely on other people's opinion of the University!
I also did have a look at Swansea University, but the course didn't interest me as much as others had.

Thanks, this information has been really useful!

Hi,

I saw nothing off-putting in the immediate vicinity of the university. My daughter loved the campus itself; it's nicely laid out and attractive. And we both liked the town centre. I believe there is a road near the university with lots of student hang-outs but as we were there during the day and out of term we didn't really get to see that aspect.

One thing you need to consider at Hull is the choice of accommodation. With the exception of the more expensive Taylor Court flats, the halls are a bus ride away off campus and are mostly catered, which has pros and cons. For this year at least, however, a bus pass was included in the price, providing unlimited transport between the halls, campus and the town centre. As an alternative, you have the student houses, which are very close to campus and are all self-catered but then you don't get the halls experience, which might be important to you.

Hope this helps. If you think of anything else, feel free to ask. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending