The Student Room Group

Why are more people becoming Vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

I'm not saying anything negative; I'm just stating the way I think it changed.
Not necessarily - words can have different meanings in different contexts.
Jesus christ. I just posted my opinion based upon comparison between the modern world and that of a few decades ago. I didn't expect some kind of Spanish Inquisition. The way I mean it is just: people are softer, more willing to show emotion and just not the heartless pricks that were around before us.
As a pesco, I'm gonna say people are becoming more educated. As more and more people turn veggie, the more likely a meat eater is to have a veggie friend and get curious and therefore become educated on ethical, health etc reasons of vegetarianism imo
Original post by viddy9
I'm a vegan, and I don't think that eating every living being is wrong.

Has anybody in this discussion stated that eating every living being is wrong, or are you just propping up a convenient strawman argument? Who are you quoting as saying eating any living being is wrong?

The vast majority of vegetarians believe that raising sentient beings for meat is wrong. You stated: "I would because it's just the way of life lol. Lions and other animals eat other animals. Cows also still eat living beings (plants). The only organisms that don't harm innocent living beings are certain micro organisms (even plants end up killing other plants to survive). The rest of us have to kill to survive (including herbivores)."

You were responding to a comment asking meat-eaters whether they would kill an animal for its meat themselves, and you said you would "because it's just the way of life lol". So, you were making a logically fallacious appeal to nature, and you were making the hilarious "lions do it too" argument to support your position.

No im saying eatinf any living thing is equally wrong. So theres no point making ethical arguments about it.
Original post by ChickenMadness
No im saying eatinf any living thing is equally wrong. So theres no point making ethical arguments about it.

I never eat living things. I eat dead and cooked animals.
You're killing another living organism for food. How is that not a logical basis. Something dies so that you can live.
No idea, I tried it once but had to eat like 20 meals a day, I was that hungry. Meat and fish fills me up, I don't know how other people survive without them. Veganism is worse as without milk, eggs ect. I'd be dead in a week
I only eat fish these days, but that's probably coz the last time I ate meat (I think it was beef) I was hospitalised for severe dehydration. (I got food poisoning and almost puked myself to death) plus I was never really a fan of the taste.

I've been veggie now for about 10 yrs now :smile:
lol It's enough for me. Your argument doesn't make sense. It's based on your personal opinion rather than fact so you can't seriously make these statements the way you are. You haven't rebutted anything.
Which is also based on opinions lmao. Yours isn't more valid than mine.
Original post by ChickenMadness

You just said that it's the vegetarians who were saying eating any living thing is wrong.

So, once again, why is eating any living thing equally wrong?
In my personal opinion, some people become veggie for the right reasons. My best friend is a veggie, and she has been for a really long time, but for all the right reasons though.

I think more people are becoming veggie because they want to look like they have morals, which seems to be a trend. This is also the main cause of radical feminism, where people argue about 'issues' for the sake of winning an argument or feeling better about their own person, not for the sake of resolving an actual issue. People like Anita Sarkeesian are great examples of this. Point being, people pretend to have morals to try and fit in to the social norm, but many of them wouldn't support these things otherwise.
I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but I did say in my personal opinion, not this is how it is. Does that not imply that there is more than one opinion, and I'm not necessarily right? I'm not actually being bigoted.

I never said that being veggie is a bad think in any way either, my best friend is one as I said. Being a veggie is great if you are genuinely concerned about the animals that are bred for meat, the way they are raised ect, then I fully support you being a veggie.

I assume when you call me a bully, you think I'm speaking out against feminists? I'm talking about the radical feminists, who say things just to create an argument. Radical feminism is much like radical religion, where these radicals make a certain group frowned upon. If you would've watched Anita Sarkeesian's videos, you would know what I'm talking about. Granted some things she says are true and should be spoken out against, but those are in the minority, whereas most things are in my opinion meant to make her more YouTube famous and in return get her more money. I completely support feminism, again, if you are a feminist for the right reasons.

I will and actually have voiced my opinions to those I know and very few have a problem with it if they actually understand what I'm saying. Once again, I'm sorry if I made you upset. I would like to ask you to think about what you're saying before throwing around names and accusations in the future though. I hope this cleared any confusion.
I can't seem to make any sense of your post, apart from you heavily implying that I am the stated things. If you could explain in a different way, that would help my understanding.

I assume by racial you mean radical (yes I know you have dyslexia, but I'm just saying it to avoid confusion).

Can I ask you what you think a radical feminist is? Every time I've seen the word used, it was used to describe extreme viewpoints, both for feminism and other areas.
Estrogen in the water or something.
why are all the hot girls becoming veggies?
Well its less laziness and more a lack of restraint for meat; the fussiness thing is just a further incomvenience.
"Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that calls for a radical reordering of society in which male supremacy is eliminated in all social and economic contexts."
Radical- "​believing or ​expressing the ​belief that there should be ​great or extreme ​social or ​political ​change"

I never implied that there aren't feminists who say things to actually change a belief or negative trend are doing the wrong thing, rather the ones who try so hard to change something without actually intending to improve anybody else's situation.

This is all beside the point anyway. Back to vegetarians...
Theres some that just dont eat meat in general. But majority wise its because vegetarians do not like the slaughtering of animals. They find it inhumane to eat slaughtered animals. I guess majority wise its become the norm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending