The Student Room Group

Retakes? Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Guys,

I need help!! I have gotten an email from UCL. "If you are taking A levels that are modular then please complete the attached form". What does that mean?? My exam board is CIE, and I will be sitting AS and A level exams next year May. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful if you answered. Thank you.
Reply 21
Original post by narine2014
Guys,

I need help!! I have gotten an email from UCL. "If you are taking A levels that are modular then please complete the attached form". What does that mean?? My exam board is CIE, and I will be sitting AS and A level exams next year May. If anyone knows, that would be very helpful if you answered. Thank you.

Linear A-levels are A-levels where you take ALL your exams at the end of year 13

Modular A-levels are A-levels where you take AS exams in year 12 and A2 ones in year 13
Original post by z33
Linear A-levels are A-levels where you take ALL your exams at the end of year 13

Modular A-levels are A-levels where you take AS exams in year 12 and A2 ones in year 13

ohhhh okay i get it now. thank you very much!! so mine are linear. thx again. have a great day
Reply 23
Original post by narine2014
ohhhh okay i get it now. thank you very much!! so mine are linear. thx again. have a great day

no problem, you too :biggrin:
Original post by Tazmain
Good luck, but I'm sure you won't need it :wink:

Hey Tazmain

What would I need to resit to get an A* overall in Biology and an A overall in Chemistry with:

Biology:
Unit 1-B
Unit 2-B
Unit 3-D
Unit 4-A*
Unit 5-E
Unit 6-U

Chemistry:
Unit 1-C
Unit 2-C
Unit 3-D
Unit 4-C
Unit 5-B
Unit 6- E
Reply 27
haha no problem :tongue:
Original post by Ben4
I'm in near enough the same situation as you in biology, you got 211/300 ums in Biology and I got 212/300, I need an A also, but my school is not letting me retake any exam and I am not really interested in looking for somewhere else to take the exam, it is just extra hassle.

So I need to get 268/300 in A2 for an A, just one ums less than you, but we might aswell aim for the A* grade as that is 270/300 in A2. :frown: lol. Good Luck!

You know to get an A* at A-Level you have to get an A in AS too... right?
Reply 29
Original post by emiloujess

yeah and 90% ums too not even a normal A*

but i think they mean the A* percentage like

in order to get an A overall we have to go into A* zone if that makes sense lol
Original post by z33
yeah and 90% ums too not even a normal A*

but i think they mean the A* percentage like

in order to get an A overall we have to go into A* zone if that makes sense lol

Ah right okay :smile: Yeah an A* is an A at AS AND 90% UMS at A2 isn't it? Loool I have no chance in Sociology even though I'm predicted an A*.

I'm sure you guys can do it if you work hard - just figure out what you did wrong last year/didn't do enough of and you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 31
Ah right okay :smile: Yeah an A* is an A at AS AND 90% UMS at A2 isn't it? Loool I have no chance in Sociology even though I'm predicted an A*.

I'm sure you guys can do it if you work hard - just figure out what you did wrong last year/didn't do enough of and you'll be fine :smile:

yupp i hope so! literally an A is all i want haha

No you've been predicted an A* for a reason you WILL get it! :biggrin: good luck!
Original post by z33
yupp i hope so! literally an A is all i want haha

No you've been predicted an A* for a reason you WILL get it! :biggrin: good luck!

You seem extremely motivated, you'll get there :smile:
I hope so! My percentage was a little low to be predicted an A* but this year the topics are more interesting, and I'm not struggling as much in the homework essays. I need ABB to get into my favourite university for my course.

As far as I'm aware it is the ums needed for an A overall across the whole A-level, in OCR Biology's case 480/600, and 90% at A2 which is 270/300. as I got 212/300 at AS, If I achieved 270/300 at A2 I'd have 482/600 ums, which is the UMS for an A, but as it is 90% at A2, I'd get an A*.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 34
You seem extremely motivated, you'll get there :smile:
I hope so! My percentage was a little low to be predicted an A* but this year the topics are more interesting, and I'm not struggling as much in the homework essays. I need ABB to get into my favourite university for my course.

yeS you GO they CANNOT reject you if you get an A*!!!!

i'm weirdly finding A2 so far easier to cope with than AS

like i started AS off getting Us and now I'm getting Bs in class tests and i'm like yasSS

but we don't know til mocks how we're really doing haha

omg i really hope you get in - have you got an offer from that uni yet? and what course may i ask :smile:?
Reply 35
Original post by Ben4
As far as I'm aware it is the ums needed for an A overall across the whole A-level, in OCR Biology's case 480/600, and 90% at A2 which is 270/300. as I got 212/300 at AS, If I achieved 270/300 at A2 I'd have 482/600 ums, which is the UMS for an A, but as it is 90% at A2, I'd get an A*.

so. many. numbers.

so wait if i retake and i go from 211 to 270 and then get 270 this year too i'd get an A* overall?

i think you have to get 90% in both years right?
Original post by z33
so. many. numbers.

so wait if i retake and i go from 211 to 270 and then get 270 this year too i'd get an A* overall?

i think you have to get 90% in both years right?

no, you got 211 last year, if you didn't retake and got atleast 270 ums this year, you would get an A*.

You need 80% ums average over the WHOLE A LEVEL, and 90% average in A2 units for an A*. :smile:

There's a sticky on how to get an A* here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by z33
Okay i'll try to make this as easy and simple as possible

I got BBCC in biologyOCRA, computingOCR, chemistryOCRB and physicsOCRA, and I carried on with biology, chemistry and computing

I need to get AAA if not AAB AT LEAST to do the course I want to do at the uni I want to do it (Pharmacy at UCL) but the aim is AAA

Basically my question is, do I NEED to do retakes to get AAA?

currently my school have set me up to retake unit 2s for chemistry, biology and physics

I'll break down my UMS for you

BIOLOGY - overall = B
Unit 1: 83/90 - A
Unit 2: 83/150 - D
Unit 3 (cwk): 45/60 - B

Need to get 269/300 this year to get an A overall (240 is an A)

CHEMISTRY - overall = C
Unit 1: 65/90 - B
Unit 2: 86/150 - D
Unit 3 (cwk): 43/60 - B

Need 286/300 to get A overall (240 is an A)

COMPUTING - overall = B
Unit 1: 75/100 - B
Unit 2: 74/100 - B

Need 171/200 to get A overall (160 is an A)

PHYSICS - overall = C
Unit 1: 61/90 - C
Unit 2: 79/150 - D
Unit 3 (cwk) - 44/60 - B

Need to retake unit 2 to get A in AS as I didn't carry on at A-level so need to get 135/150 in my retake (and 120 is an A in that exam)

SO what do you guys think? worth retaking all units? which ones should I retake? any tips and tricks? any success stories? I'm feeling super stressed so any advice to make this easier would be helpful...

Thank you :biggrin:

Since you have dropped Physics, I would suggest you resit your unit 2 Chemistry and focus solely on your A2 units. This way the workload is also less and you will have a greater chance of achieving higher grades. I have seen people achieving A* with B grades at AS because to achieve an A* you need to achieve an A overall (AS and A2) and at least 90% across your A2 units.
Reply 38
Original post by Ben4
no, you got 211 last year, if you didn't retake and got atleast 270 ums this year, you would get an A*.

You need 80% ums average over the WHOLE A LEVEL, and 90% average in A2 units for an A*. :smile:

There's a sticky on how to get an A* here.

oh ma gawsh i have a cHANCE!
but daym 270/300! i'm deffo retaking the year though i only want an A but daym imma aim for the A* now :P
Reply 39
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Since you have dropped Physics, I would suggest you resit your unit 2 Chemistry and focus solely on your A2 units. This way the workload is also less and you will have a greater chance of achieving higher grades. I have seen people achieving A* with B grades at AS because to achieve an A* you need to achieve an A overall (AS and A2) and at least 90% across your A2 units.

thank you! i'm gonna focus on chemistry because I really need it to be an A and deffo retaking that

biology i'll consider but i don't think i'm gonna get an A this year in computing because i can't program for **** so my coursework probably won't be full ums and we only have 1 exam this year so i might retake one from last year :smile:

thanks again!

Quick Reply

Latest