The Student Room Group

Term Limit for Abortion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CAElite
I just want to quote and reiterate this post to the dozen or so posters who just blanked it to continue an argument about if the foetus is viable or not. The reason we have late term abortions is to ensure quality of life, not because some nimby couldnt make up there mind for almost 6 months as this is a small irrelevant minority of late term abortions.

Besides even after exiting the womb foetus's arnt self aware! Hell babies are unable to understand their own existance until 2 or 3 years, so the foetus, regardless of how far along is a non-person. So I say again, even in the minority of late term abortions where the foetus is perfectly healthy, the pregnant mother has taken months to make the conscious decision that she doesnt want that child. So forcing an unloved child into the world is not only unfair on the mother (and father; a group frequently ignored in cases like this) but is also cruel to the child being forced into the world where nobody wants to care for it.

Do you have any evidence for this...?
Reply 41
I would say limit to 12 weeks, unless factors that pose severe health risk to the mother or child, or tests reveal severe disabilities in the baby.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TurboCretin
Do you have any evidence for this...?

Yeah,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.psychology.emory.edu/cognition/rochat/lab/fivelevels.pdf&sa=U&ved=0CA4QFjABahUKEwjdpcjej93IAhXGthQKHaJKDnM&sig2=2OG05wzfvtaRf3bvwuu4Ew&usg=AFQjCNHbxacTl3rm8SagbzK82VKII21YfA

Its an extremely dry read, scroll down to section 2.3, after rereading I found I missquoted slightly. Its actually 18months (1.5 years) onwards where self recognition occurs (what some define as self awareness) whilst continued development with true emotional self awareness occuring around 24 months (2 years) with continued emotional development into adolescence (~13 years).
Reply 43
Original post by Rat_Bag
So you would support the termination of an anaesthetised person (if someone wanted it to happen) because they are not self-aware, cannot reason, and has not interest in continuing to live?

No, because they'll still have had a preference to continue to live, and technically still do. Preferences are the basis for morality, and they can be universalised: if I wouldn't want my preference to be violated when anaesthetised, then violating this preference of other people is also wrong.

Original post by Rat_Bag
Likewise you would support the termination of a newly born (if the mother wanted it to happen), because again, it is not self-aware, cannot reason and therefore has no interest in continuing to live?

Yes, infanticide is morally permissible in certain circumstances, because a newborn baby is not self-aware, cannot reason and therefore has no interest in continuing to live, and never has done. Unless, of course, the baby could be adopted by someone close to the mother, who would gain preference-satisfaction from the adoption.

Original post by Rat_Bag
So at 9 months? And how about a few days post birth? Is it okay then based on your above reasoning?

Yes. Yes. Yes.
Original post by CAElite
Yeah,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.psychology.emory.edu/cognition/rochat/lab/fivelevels.pdf&sa=U&ved=0CA4QFjABahUKEwjdpcjej93IAhXGthQKHaJKDnM&sig2=2OG05wzfvtaRf3bvwuu4Ew&usg=AFQjCNHbxacTl3rm8SagbzK82VKII21YfA

Its an extremely dry read, scroll down to section 2.3, after rereading I found I missquoted slightly. Its actually 18months (1.5 years) onwards where self recognition occurs (what some define as self awareness) whilst continued development with true emotional self awareness occuring around 24 months (2 years) with continued emotional development into adolescence (~13 years).

Dont worry, I've read some pretty dry things (previously a law student). Although I'm not very knowledgeable about psychology, the paper does say that up until about 18 months infants don't pass the generally accepted litmus test for self-awareness.

Taking this at face value, what conclusion do we draw that's relevant to the thread? Is it okay to kill off young babies?
Original post by VV Cephei A
You're failing to see the gaping error in your reasoning. Bodily autonomy is NOT absolute, s.

Where did I say it was absolute? I didn't.

The point was that both forced organ donation and forced pregnancy require the overriding of bodily autonomy. That was the point of the analogy. It was not that bodily autonomy is absolute.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
I would say limit to 12 weeks, unless factors that pose severe health risk to the mother or child, or tests reveal severe disabilities in the baby.

Why 12? You may as well set lower.
Dont worry, I've read some pretty dry things (previously a law student). Although I'm not very knowledgeable about psychology, the paper does say that up until about 18 months infants don't pass the generally accepted litmus test for self-awareness.

Taking this at face value, what conclusion do we draw that's relevant to the thread? Is it okay to kill off young babies?

No. I wouldnt want to move the argument in that direction as its... sketchy and there is a lot of factors involved.

I was merely pointing out that arguing for the human rights of a foetus is similar to arguing for the human rights of a potted plant, or somewhat intelligent crustacean as a foetus is at the same mental level as these things.
Reply 48
Original post by DorianGrayism
Why 12? You may as well set lower.

12 sounded like a reasonable number.
What paper?
Reply 50
Original post by viddy9
No, because they'll still have had a preference to continue to live, and technically still do.

This does seem like shifting the goal posts on your part, since it is different to what you wrote earlier saying that a foetus is "not self-aware, and cannot reason, and therefore has no interest in continuing to live" and "It's not, however, possible to inflict cruelty on a foetus by aborting it, because it is not sentient: it simply cannot object to being aborted"

None of this actually lay down the elicitation of a positive preference to live.

Original post by viddy9
Preferences are the basis for morality, and they can be universalised: if I wouldn't want my preference to be violated when anaesthetised, then violating this preference of other people is also wrong.

Preference are subjective and vary between (and even within) individuals, so I don't see how they can be universalised to determine morality in the way you are talking. Since I would not have wanted my preferences violated as a foetus, does that mean other people should not undergo that violation as a foetus, and therefore abortion should be illegal? [Forgive me, I may not be fully understanding what you wrote, so please clarify]

Original post by viddy9
Yes, infanticide is morally permissible in certain circumstances, because a newborn baby is not self-aware, cannot reason and therefore has no interest in continuing to live, and never has done. Unless, of course, the baby could be adopted by someone close to the mother, who would gain preference-satisfaction from the adoption.

Just to raise a few issues from the bold.

In what circumstances is such infanticide permissible? Why not on demand/without reason as you claim it should be with foeticide? After all, all your criteria for allowing abortion (lack of sentience, lack of self awareness, lack of preference to live) are there, and indeed would continue to be there until at least 18 months, if not older (since awareness of the concept of life takes a long time to develop, and thus obviously one cannot hold a preference for it if one doesn't understand it)

Is the reference to "never has [held an interest in continuing to live]" another new criteria? Why is it relevant?

By the, I think your position is absolutely abhorrent.
Reply 51

@viddy9 seems to think it's just fine according to his post here
Reply 52
Original post by Rat_Bag
This does seem like shifting the goal posts on your part, since it is different to what you wrote earlier saying that a foetus is "not self-aware, and cannot reason, and therefore has no interest in continuing to live" and "It's not, however, possible to inflict cruelty on a foetus by aborting it, because it is not sentient: it simply cannot object to being aborted"

The key word is cannot: a person under anaesthetic could reason if he was not under anaesthetic.

I am not shifting the goalposts, but I may be communicating my position poorly. To be clear, I'm talking about the capacity for self-awareness and rational thought.

Original post by Rat_Bag
Preference are subjective and vary between (and even within) individuals, so I don't see how they can be universalised to determine morality in the way you are talking.

Preferences may be subjective, but satisfying them is objectively good. Every sentient being aims to maximise its preference-satisfaction, but there's no logical justification for putting one's own preferences above those of others'. Thus, if we are to satisfy our own preferences, which it is impossible not to do, it follows that we must maximise the preference-satisfaction of every sentient being; that is, every being that is able to have any preferences at all.

Original post by Rat_Bag
Since I would not have wanted my preferences violated as a foetus, does that mean other people should not undergo that violation as a foetus, and therefore abortion should be illegal?

The key point is that you couldn't have had any preferences in the first place as a foetus, and whilst you cannot go back to being a foetus, you can be anaesthetised.

Original post by Rat_Bag
In what circumstances is such infanticide permissible? Why not on demand/without reason as you claim it should be with foeticide?

Once a baby has been born, the mother has been through the excruciating pain and the stress of being pregnant, so it's much easier, say, to give the baby up for adoption. Depending on the demand for adoptive children (insofar as I'm aware, there's a lack of demand at the moment), the permissibility of infanticide in everyday life may be in a state of flux. (This is because the adoptive family will have their preferences satisfied when they adopt the child).

There are some clear-cut examples of where infanticide would be permissible, though. If three people - two parents and a newborn infant - are stranded on an island and there's only enough food for two of them, it would be permissible to kill the infant.

Original post by Rat_Bag
By the, I think your position is absolutely abhorrent.

I do not see how anyone can be harmed by this; harm requires a being to object to an action. Our emotions and intuitions are notoriously bad at helping us to engage in logical, ethical decision-making.

Our moral intuitions also lead to more money being donated to a charity when people are shown a picture of a single victim of poverty as opposed to data on how many people are in poverty; it leads to people being more concerned about people closer to them rather than people suffering a lot more further away from them. It leads people to generally object to pushing the Fat Man off a footbridge to stop a trolley from hitting five people tied to a track, but to be fine with pulling a lever which opens a trapdoor through which the Fat Man falls into the track to stop the trolley.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Andy98
12 sounded like a reasonable number.

Well, why? A baby cannot survive at 12 weeks, like at 20 weeks.
Reply 54
Well, why? A baby cannot survive at 12 weeks, like at 20 weeks.

Well no, I was merely making a guess at what would be a suitable time period to make the decision.
Original post by Katty3
I wouldn't ban it completely, just reduce the time limit to 12 weeks.

The ONLY reason I wouldn't ban it is because women would probably still get unsafe illegal abortions. It is the lesser of two evils to provide safe access to abortion. At least then only one life is lost.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, like I asked someone before, why 12? Why 12 over 20 weeks? At both dates, a baby cannot survive.
Where did I say it was absolute? I didn't.

The point was that both forced organ donation and forced pregnancy require the overriding of bodily autonomy. That was the point of the analogy. It was not that bodily autonomy is absolute.

Yes, and in one situation, that overriding can be justifiable in the interests of the rights of another, and in the other it can not be. The analogy doesn't work. Seriously, this isn't difficult.
Original post by VV Cephei A
Yes, and in one situation, that overriding can be justifiable in the interests of the rights of another, and in the other it can not be. The analogy doesn't work. Seriously, this isn't difficult.

That is the point of the analogy. If you support overriding bodily autonomy in one then you can support overriding bodily autonomy in another.

Another person could quite easily claim that forcibly taking away a kidney to save another life is "justifiable in the interests of the rights of another".

Simply stating "it can not be" is just opinion.
(edited 8 years ago)
That is the point of the analogy. If you support overriding bodily autonomy in one then you can support overriding bodily autonomy in another.

Another person could quite easily claim that forcibly taking away a kidney to save another life is "justifiable in the interests of the rights of another".

Simply stating "it can not be" is just opinion.

Yes you are right, if the analogy wasn't completely fallacious, then perhaps we could use the violinist scenario to justify abortion. Since the analogy is completely fallacious, the argument doesn't hold any weight. Which is the point that you have been repeatedly trying to dodge for the last few pages.
You've contributed nothing to the thread other than post a widely discredited piece of supposedly philosophical rubbish which isn't what abortion ethics or laws are based on, anywhere in the world. GG

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending