The Student Room Group

Greenhead College Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ScienceFantatic
Why would you drop it? You would do a year of it for no qualification aha- you should either do it for the 2 years or not at all :tongue:

For some you can drop it after the first year
Original post by xGCSE_Studentx
For some you can drop it after the first year

Yes but if they are linear, you won't get any qualification for them ask the exams are in year 2 :tongue:
Yes but if they are linear, you won't get any qualification for them ask the exams are in year 2 :tongue:

Yh might just pick another one I can drop after the first year then or just stuck with four throughout
It was all the same thing :tongue:

Which subjects? And did you apply already?

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry or Economics. No haven't applied already. Apparently, if you apply through UCAS progress it doesn't work. Is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh might just pick another one I can drop after the first year then or just stuck with four throughout

Modular ones are Maths, f maths, music tech, film studies, government and politics, general studies health and social care and law :tongue:- take your pick :smile:
Original post by Himani Vadhia
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry or Economics. No haven't applied already. Apparently, if you apply through UCAS progress it doesn't work. Is that true?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school doesn't use it so I don't know- but it probably does work. Nice options- what do you want it to lead to?
Modular ones are Maths, f maths, music tech, film studies, government and politics, general studies health and social care and law :tongue:- take your pick :smile:

None
My school doesn't use it so I don't know- but it probably does work. Nice options- what do you want it to lead to?

Hopefully do a degree in maths or physics and then go into teaching. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you've misunderstood what the 'linear' means, you can still drop them after a year and you still get an AS in it. However, it just means if you continue to take the subject you have to resit your AS aswell as A2 exams in the second year. It just means the grade in the first year does not count towards your final A-level grade, so yes you will still get a qualification.
Original post by emilyrobinson100
I think you've misunderstood what the 'linear' means, you can still drop them after a year and you still get an AS in it. However, it just means if you continue to take the subject you have to resit your AS aswell as A2 exams in the second year. It just means the grade in the first year does not count towards your final A-level grade, so yes you will still get a qualification.

I don't think they do that with my year? I definitely remember the principal saying that if the exams are linear then we have internal exams for them(mocks) , but we are tested on the full content in year 2. I asked the biology teacher as well if we did AS, he said no. So if we don't do the AS exams we cant get an AS in it xD

Yeah it says here in the prospectus "students taking the reformed linear qualifications from September 2016 will no longer sit AS levels at the end of the first year, all examinations for A level will be taken at the end of the two year course"
(edited 8 years ago)

What science fanatic said is true :smile: From September 2016, there will no longer be any AS exams at all, only mocks. However, your year (if you are in year 12) are doing as this year even though it is not counted towards your final grade :biggrin: I think anyway. It's so confusing right?
Original post by _ariane29
What science fanatic said is true :smile: From September 2016, there will no longer be any AS exams at all, only mocks. However, your year (if you are in year 12) are doing as this year even though it is not counted towards your final grade :biggrin: I think anyway. It's so confusing right?

Does that mean we can't drop any a levels in the first year you've got to continue the whole qualification for two years
Does that mean we can't drop any a levels in the first year you've got to continue the whole qualification for two years

I'm not sure about this but you probably could though it would be a waste of a year. If you want to drop one you're better just picking 3 and carrying them all through :smile:

If a subject is linear then you get assessed at the end of A2. If you drop it at AS then you do not gain an AS Level in that subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So glad that Maths and Further Maths ain't linear! Any other thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Agh! I'm not sure sure how I wasn't aware of this thread already!

I'm also a current student at Greenhead, and I'm absolutely loving it! :smile: And I'd be happy to answer any questions, if you still have any (PM me if you need to!). I'll try and be as honest and helpful as I can be. :biggrin:

It's a great place though, and choosing to study there is probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life so far. :smile:
Original post by BroJoeJoe
Agh! I'm not sure sure how I wasn't aware of this thread already!

I'm also a current student at Greenhead, and I'm absolutely loving it! :smile: And I'd be happy to answer any questions, if you still have any (PM me if you need to!). I'll try and be as honest and helpful as I can be. :biggrin:

It's a great place though, and choosing to study there is probably one of the best decisions I've made in my life so far. :smile:

Hello- I remember messaging you about your display picture :tongue:- cowboy bepop right?
I didn't think so many people on here would be interested in GC. I'm glad you like it, which subjects do you do and why is it one of the best decisions of your life?

If you do 3 then you aren't allowed to drop it. But like ariane said and like I said before, it would be a waste of a year to do 4 linear A-levels and drop one for no qualification.
Original post by Himani Vadhia
So glad that Maths and Further Maths ain't linear! Any other thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sort of wish it was because then it would force me to do it for A-level. Hopefully I do really well in maths- it's like my sixth best subject :3
I sort of wish it was because then it would force me to do it for A-level. Hopefully I do really well in maths- it's like my sixth best subject :3

You do know that if it was linear then we would have to do all the exams at the end of A2?...😱

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest