The Student Room Group

Choosing A levels...

The time has come for me to start thinking about A levels :bawling: So I want to do Computer Science in Uni and I want to apply to Cambridge :colondollar: (probably out of reach but you know what they say, follow your dreams). So I know I'm going to take maths but i'm at complete loss for the other two. I would choose Eng but I would need an A or A* and I don't think I could manage that (If it's anything like GCSE). Oh and I know this isn't really relevant but tips on getting into Cambridge or Edinburgh, my main uni choices. HELP ME please. Wow I feel like a 12 year old...
Original post by Socie
The time has come for me to start thinking about A levels :bawling: So I want to do Computer Science in Uni and I want to apply to Cambridge :colondollar: (probably out of reach but you know what they say, follow your dreams). So I know I'm going to take maths but i'm at complete loss for the other two. I would choose Eng but I would need an A or A* and I don't think I could manage that (If it's anything like GCSE). Oh and I know this isn't really relevant but tips on getting into Cambridge or Edinburgh, my main uni choices. HELP ME please. Wow I feel like a 12 year old...

have you thought about physics? usually fits quite well with computer science
If you're passionate about maths, maybe you could take further maths too? Maybe Physics, like @halfhearted mentioned. Otherwise, maybe just choosing something you enjoy should help. Essay subjects often provide a nice contrast to the more technical subjects like Maths and Physics, but if you really want to avoid these, take a language maybe or a science.
Original post by Socie

My friend wants to do the exact same! He's brilliant at the subject! He's doing OCR computer science, Edexcel maths, Edexcel further maths and OCR A physics.

Very mathematical since that's what the Cambridge course is. You don't even need to do computer science (just like how you can practically do biology/medicine at university by studying chemistry) the mathematics courses are what matters.
Reply 4
Original post by Socie

Maths, Physics, Computing, Further Maths, Chemistry, Economics and Biology - ideally you should have three of these, with the best combination being Maths, Further Maths and Physics.

Then take either another one from that list, or another one like a language or humanity that you're both interested in and good at!
Reply 5
Original post by tom_mcc
I have a friend who is applying for computer science at Oxford (so very similar to Cambridge) and he took: Maths, Chemistry, Computing, History and French at AS, and is now doing Maths, Chemistry, Computing and an AS in further maths in his second year. You need to show that you have mathematical aptitude, therefore taking maths is a no brainer. However, a broad range of subjects is often looked upon greatly, therefore you don't need to focus on solely mathematical subjects. However, I would recommend taking: Maths, a science, an essay subject (history, English etc), and the last option is up to you (could be further maths, computing or a language). As you said that you're aiming for Cambridge, this should mean that each subject you take should be as close to a traditional subject as possible (courses such as media, photography and business studies are seen as lacking academic rigour and will be looked down upon by the top 5 universities; especially considering their courses are hugely competitive). Hopefully this helps you :smile:

Just wondering, what A level results did he/she get or is predicted to get for A levels and what extracurriculars did your friend do? A reply would be appreciated.
As others have said, Further Math and Physics would probably be your best options. You could also consider taking a language - Edinburgh's Informatics department does a lot of CompLing courses (IMO the best part of CompSci!) and it would be advantageous to take extra modules in a foreign language.

Quick Reply

Latest