The Student Room Group

when to use the subjunctive?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
No, it has to be pueda as that is the subjunctive form, puedo is not.

oh that makes sense now! thank you
Original post by Rainbowcorn
can i ask what the common word/phrase for pocket money is? just want to make my spanish sound more 'spanish' if that makes sense! thanks!

Paga I believe.

I'm going to bed now; it's 2am in Japan. I'm too tired evidently since I didn't even notice the spelling mistakes on vantaja :frown: Shall reply tomorrow! Good luck for now

By the way, the online dictionary that I used for Spanish and French at university was always: wordreference.com It's exceptional in my opinion. It's my go-to reference for both French and Spanish. :smile:
thank you! 'superen' is in the subjunctive form isnt it? thank you again

Yes it is.
i thought 'pueda' was present just in 3rd person? sorry for all these questions!
EDIT
i understand now, thank you!

http://www.wordreference.com/conj/ESverbs.aspx?v=poder

Present indicative form of poder:

puedo
puedes
puede
podemos
podéis
pueden
podés

In subjunctive present, (yo) puedo = pueda. Also, (él, ella, Ud.) puede = pueda.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Quick-use
Paga I believe.

I'm going to bed now; it's 2am in Japan. I'm too tired evidently since I didn't even notice the spelling mistakes on vantaja :frown: Shall reply tomorrow! Good luck for now

By the way, the online dictionary that I used for Spanish and French at university was always: wordreference.com It's exceptional in my opinion. It's my go-to reference for both French and Spanish. :smile:

ah thanks :smile: night! its only 5pm in the UK though :smile:
Reply 25
http://www.wordreference.com/conj/ESverbs.aspx?v=poder

Present indicative form of poder:

puedo
puedes
puede
podemos
podéis
pueden
podés

In subjunctive present, (yo) puedo = pueda. Also, (él, ella, Ud.) puede = pueda.

thank you for your help! i really appreciate it!
i thought 'pueda' was present just in 3rd person? sorry for all these questions!
EDIT
i understand now, thank you!

You may want to revise the endings of "er" verbs, the 3rd person form is "puede" :tongue:
Reply 27
You may want to revise the endings of "er" verbs, the 3rd person form is "puede" :tongue:

yes it looks like i will have to! spanish is confusing me right now and i thought it was an AR verb, without thinking clearly!
thank you :smile:
Original post by Omni Vanitas
The example you give is very weird in Spanish- you will never see "yo coma" (Spanish person here, never seen it written in my life!). You can say "Espero que coma pronto" (I hope (that) I eat soon) though "espero que pueda comer pronto" is more common.

x

In bed but this is annoying me. Isn't it more common/natural to say Espero comer pronto as opposed to Espero que coma pronto? Or, Espero poder comer pronto as opposed to espero que pueda comer pronto? Usually, you change the subject when employing the subjunctive right?

I'm a little rusty with my Spanish nowadays admittedly.
In bed but this is annoying me. Isn't it more common/natural to say Espero comer pronto as opposed to Espero que coma pronto? Or, Espero poder comer pronto as opposed to espero que pueda comer pronto? Usually, you change the subject when employing the subjunctive right?

I'm a little rusty with my Spanish nowadays admittedly.

Yes, "espero comer pronto" is what Spaniards would say 99% of the time. "Espero que pueda comer pronto" sounds as if someone is stopping you from eating and so would hardly ever be used.
thank you! 'superen' is in the subjunctive form isnt it? thank you again

Actually both are correct, superen a or superen a las. It's true that superen las sounds a bit more natural, but both are fine!
Reply 31
Original post by Pcabezas
Actually both are correct, superen a or superen a las. It's true that superen las sounds a bit more natural, but both are fine!

so you dont need the 'a' ? thank you :smile:
so you dont need the 'a' ? thank you :smile:

You're welcome.
No, the verb can be either used as ”Superar algo” or “Superar a algo”
You're welcome.

I'm a native, (you are too right?), and it sounds a bit strange to me to use "superar a" in this context, it makes it sound as if X is actually fighting and beating the disadvantages like "superar a tus enemigos" :tongue:
I'm a native, (you are too right?), and it sounds a bit strange to me to use "superar a" in this context, it makes it sound as if X is actually fighting and beating the disadvantages like "superar a tus enemigos" :tongue:

Yes, I'm a native too. Maybe it sounds odd to you because of where you live (?) (Sometimes the way we speak changes a lot between cities) But for me “Las ventajas superan a las desventajas” sounds completely normal.

Think of it in this way “Los pros superan (en numero) a los contras.” I think that it's all because of “en numero”, which is kindda omitted. Maybe I'm just crazy haha But when I read “Las ventajas superan a las desventajas” I understand that she's omitting to say “en numero”.
Reply 35
You're welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending