The Student Room Group

whats 4.9696 to 2 d.p

stupid question i know....
Reply 2
4.97 :smile:

thanks!
Original post by Iphysics
4.97 :smile:

thank you! one of my lecturers said it was 5.03 :confused::confused: it confused me a lot ... thanks again
Sounds like a multi-stage problem where either you or the lecturer has rounded the answer at previous stages, thus arriving at a slightly different answer.
Original post by brijmohan3
Sounds like a multi-stage problem where either you or the lecturer has rounded the answer at previous stages, thus arriving at a slightly different answer.

ahhhh okay makes sense. it was 1.64/0.33= 4.96969697
Depending on how the 1.64 and 0.33 were produced (from previous stages), it definitely supports my thoughts of the problem being rounded at previous stages.
E.g. If 0.33 was actually 1/3: 1.64/(1/3) = 4.92
E.g. if 1.64 was more like 1.644: 1.644/0.33 = 4.98

Don't worry too much about this though, as long as you ensure you lay out the steps you are taking. 99% of the time you DON'T want to round at previous stages of the problem (i.e. you want to chuck the whole number into the calculator so the only rounding error that occurs is at the end).
Original post by brijmohan3
Depending on how the 1.64 and 0.33 were produced (from previous stages), it definitely supports my thoughts of the problem being rounded at previous stages.
E.g. If 0.33 was actually 1/3: 1.64/(1/3) = 4.92
E.g. if 1.64 was more like 1.644: 1.644/0.33 = 4.98

Don't worry too much about this though, as long as you ensure you lay out the steps you are taking. 99% of the time you DON'T want to round at previous stages of the problem (i.e. you want to chuck the whole number into the calculator so the only rounding error that occurs is at the end).

thanks for the explanation, she used it to 2 dp so I know which one to use. thanks again

Quick Reply

Latest