The Student Room Group

Southampton BM6 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bloom77
You know the group interview, is it an ethical issue they'll give us or would it be a scenario like:
Alice has short breath and cough (and more info is given) and we'll together as a group would have to come to a conclusion.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither. You need no prior knowledge and are given time to prepare on the day after they tell you what it will be. It's not something you can really practice for. Each group task is slightly different too. It's not science knowledge their after.
Original post by Neostigmine
Neither. You need no prior knowledge and are given time to prepare on the day after they tell you what it will be. It's not something you can really practice for. Each group task is slightly different too. It's not science knowledge their after.

Ooh okay :smile:
Sorry for sounding stupid lol
It's coz I understand different medical schools use different methods so it's quite confusing knowing them all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haven't received a welcome card from Southampton
Is this something to be worried about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spiritless98

Posted from TSR Mobile

Course not! Don't be silly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Course not! Don't be silly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wanted one, but oh well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not something to orry about. It might arrive later :smile:

Original post by Bloom77
Ooh okay :smile:
Sorry for sounding stupid lol
It's coz I understand different medical schools use different methods so it's quite confusing knowing them all.

Not stupid at all! It's supposed to be a bit of a mystery to keep it fair. But its not something to worry about or fear. Lots of people leave having quite enjoyed it as its really relaxed.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, do they look at PS before ukcat????

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't received a post card yet - should I be worried? :s-smilie:
Reply 388
Original post by f.loco

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm certain that UKCAT is used for borderline cases only. They look heavily on the UKCAT though from what I've heard and what the website explains.

And I havn't got any welcome postcard either lol. But anyone know when interviews are given out?
Original post by f.loco

Posted from TSR Mobile

UKCAT is only used to choose between 2 extremely similar candidates.

Original post by 1lastchance
I haven't received a post card yet - should I be worried? :s-smilie:

No. Not everyone seems to get one and some arrive later than others.

Original post by Dr_K
I'm certain that UKCAT is used for borderline cases only. They look heavily on the UKCAT though from what I've heard and what the website explains.

And I havn't got any welcome postcard either lol. But anyone know when interviews are given out?

BM6 - borderline cases
BM5 - Used to choose who gets interview - offers go to highest scorer and work down.

December to Jan for first few interview invites. Interviews run until March/April.

Read through this thread. Lots of useful questions answered including these and things you've not even thought to ask yet!
Out of the number of students on the BM6 course, how many get successfully through to the Medicine degree? Is it competitive, or is it just based on getting a certain grade and so all those who get the grade can continue onto the Medicine course.
Out of the number of students on the BM6 course, how many get successfully through to the Medicine degree? Is it competitive, or is it just based on getting a certain grade and so all those who get the grade can continue onto the Medicine course.

I think they give around 45/40 offers but there are 30 places.
I think it's all based on the interview in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

BM6 is a 6 year course. There is no "getting through to the medicine degree", as you're already on it :h: . You just do an additional year at the start in comparison to the 5 year. You have to pass Year 0 to progress to year 1, but you have to do that every year anyway (ie You have to pass year 1 to get to year 2 etc). 90% of BM6 students make it from Year 0 to Year 1 first time (ie without resitting).

So yeah it's not a year course that allows you to apply to the five year course, its a 6 year course where we have a "Year 0" and then year 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 afterwards that are exactly the same as the BM5.

Original post by Bloom77
I think they give around 45/40 offers but there are 30 places.
I think it's all based on the interview in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not what he is asking. :nah:
BM6 is a 6 year course. There is no "getting through to the medicine degree", as you're already on it :h: . You just do an additional year at the start in comparison to the 5 year. You have to pass Year 0 to progress to year 1, but you have to do that every year anyway (ie You have to pass year 1 to get to year 2 etc). 90% of BM6 students make it from Year 0 to Year 1 first time (ie without resitting).

So yeah it's not a year course that allows you to apply to the five year course, its a 6 year course where we have a "Year 0" and then year 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 afterwards that are exactly the same as the BM5.

That's not what he is asking. :nah:

Oops 😅😅😅
Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Oops 😅😅😅
Sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha! It's alright :h:

how is everyone holding up?
This is so depressing everyone talking about going to Unis. I am doing an Apprenticeship in Graphic Design. Likely to get a job at my place but I really just want to go to Uni and get the experience. Wish I went to College a little bit now even though I am really enjoying my apprenticeship I want to study Graphic Design more! :frown:
Haha! It's alright :h:

how is everyone holding up?

Not bad haha
I'm just practicing for the interview little by little each day
I've got mock MMI's this Wednesday! So pretty nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bloom77
Not bad haha
I'm just practicing for the interview little by little each day
I've got mock MMI's this Wednesday! So pretty nervous

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't started this yet :frown:
Any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't started this yet :frown:
Any advice

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://bethaney.co.uk/blog/?p=303

This is my blog post on what I did and it seems to be effective. If you want more advise or if you have questions I am happy to help. Can even do mock interviews in PM or in skype etc :smile:

Original post by Bloom77
Not bad hahaI'm just practicing for the interview little by little each dayI've got mock MMI's this Wednesday! So pretty nervousPosted from TSR Mobile

That's good! Early practice is good just don't work too hard at learning answers. You don't want to be overly rehearsed otherwise you may get thrown when you are asked something you're not expecting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just received the eligibility forms!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending