The Student Room Group

Petition so only British citizens can vote in the EU referendum

Scroll to see replies

Original post by saxsan4
Yes it does, if i go to the USA i should not vote there as i am only a visitor, same as Migrants, they are only visitors and not people who live here.

There seem to be a few more words you're unfamiliar with. Someone who has migrated here (aka a migrant) is not the same as a visitor.
Original post by saxsan4
No one mentioned race, therefore its not racism, I know the definition perfectly, please explain how this is racist? No one said ''only white people should vote'' therefore how is it racist?

And ''arsed'' is not a word.

So why does it come up on google then as a word.

edit: look at racism on google and look at all the words that come under it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Vikingninja
So why does it come up on google then as a word.

It is not a word, ''bae'' comes up on Google, yet that is not an English word either.
Reply 23
Original post by Vikingninja
Those who are living within the UK can decide on what happens. Denying someone that is just racism and a breach of human rights.

Is it racism for them to have to live here X years before receiving a passport? :wink:
Original post by saxsan4
No one mentioned race, therefore its not racism, I know the definition perfectly, please explain how this is racist? No one said ''only white people should vote'' therefore how is it racist?

And ''arsed'' is not a word.

Are you a gay UKIP voter?

Also, "arsed" is a word :smile:
Original post by United1892
They live here so they have just as much right to decide whether we stay or go as everyone else.

If I went to Ukraine or Iran or America or Austrailia or Japan or Nigeria or any other country and had not claimed citizenship, I have NO right to vote in their matters.

The petition is about people who have a temporary visa and are not a registered UK citizen
Original post by ILovePancakes
Are you a gay UKIP voter?

Also, "arsed" is a word :smile:

Yes i am a Gay UKIP member
Original post by SmashConcept
There seem to be a few more words you're unfamiliar with. Someone who has migrated here (aka a migrant) is not the same as a visitor.

Signed the petition!

How is it biased for only British people to sign it - it's MORE biased if we allow anyone here to sign it because obviously the non-Brits will say we should stay in the EU, especially those who have come here from the EU countries. It's not for them to decide what happens to Britain. I would never expect to go to another EU country and have the right to vote in a country I am not a national in.
Reply 30
Original post by saxsan4
David Cameron is uselss

Useless is quite the understatement.

Until they have claimed citizenship and it has been accepted they have a visa just like any other visitor, migrant ect.

This means they technically should not have the right to dictate decisions in this country
Original post by Gears265
Until they have claimed citizenship and it has been accepted they have a visa just like any other visitor, migrant ect.

This means they technically should not have the right to dictate decisions in this country

Can't EU immigrants stay here indefinitely without a visa or citizenship? I thought that was the exact thing the UKIP crowd is always telling us about.
Can't EU immigrants stay here indefinitely without a visa or citizenship? I thought that was the exact thing the UKIP crowd is always telling us about.

Yes we want to change that as well, but they still are visitors.
Original post by saxsan4
its my Country, therefore i have the right to decide what happens, if i go to the USA i don't deserve to decide what effects them.

I wasn't born in Brighton, I moved here when I was 18 but I can still say it's my city. I still have the right to vote for an MP here rather than in a place I haven't lived for 4 years. I don't see why that's any different if you're talking about a country...
Original post by saxsan4
Yes we want to change that as well, but they still are visitors.

But their situation is nowhere near comparable to you visiting America.
Original post by saxsan4
It is not a word, ''bae'' comes up on Google, yet that is not an English word either.

Not as a search, google gives an actual definition for it itself, it doesn't give bae one.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
I wasn't born in Brighton, I moved here when I was 18 but I can still say it's my city. I still have the right to vote for an MP here rather than in a place I haven't lived for 4 years. I don't see why that's any different if you're talking about a country...

because country's have what we call BOARDERS, internal migration doesn't that is a clear difference
Original post by saxsan4
because country's have what we call BOARDERS, internal migration doesn't that is a clear difference

But why do I have more right to be here and have a say in the country I live in just because this is where I was pushed out of my mother's vagina?
It makes sense to me that British citizens should be voting in such a referendum - I can't think of any other country who would give foreign citizens the right to participate in a national referendum of such huge consequence.

Personally though I don't mind if EU nationals who are UK residents are allowed to vote in this case, as I don't think it will make much difference. Most EU nationals live here by exercising their right of free movement but this does not mean that they have gone through the process of obtaining formal residence, which is necessary for voting.

I will be voting for the UK to stay in the EU anyway. I think it is the best option for the economy and I also don't think immigration from within the EU is the real issue.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending