The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MouseyBrown
Haha.....this week has been a bit better as I've stopped eating jars of Nutella with a spoon and have moved on to 'only' entire banana cakes.

Imagine how it's gonna be after the exams and we can actually get rejected or not.....

This made me chuckle :biggrin: I got to the point where I don't even want to get an offer but just at least an interview so that I know that my efforts weren't pointless
Original post by Eux
I'm sorry but that can't be true else it defeats the whole point of being able to choose a college. Everyone who applies to a certain college and is called to interview is guaranteed an interview at the college they applied to at the very minimum.

See the second to last paragraph in this report from Keble (chemistry): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/chem2014

And for geography (second page): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/geog2014

It happens!

If they didn't reallocate, some college tutors would be overburdened and candidates wouldn't get the attention they deserve at interview, or wouldn't get asked to interview when they might've applying to other colleges
Original post by KombatWombat
See the second to last paragraph in this report from Keble (chemistry): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/chem2014

And for geography (second page): http://www.keble.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/subjects/past-feedback/geog2014

It happens!

If they didn't reallocate, some college tutors would be overburdened and candidates wouldn't get the attention they deserve at interview, or wouldn't get asked to interview when they might've applying to other colleges

Apologies, i stand corrected. People must be gutted if that happens to them!
Original post by Eux
I'm sorry but that can't be true else it defeats the whole point of being able to choose a college. Everyone who applies to a certain college and is called to interview is guaranteed an interview at the college they applied to at the very minimum.

Actually, that is wrong. Each college looks at their applicants (including the ones assigned from open applications), pull out the ones that they want to interview up to 3x the number of places that they have for that subject, and the rest are pooled. In most (all?) subjects, all of the applicants are reviewed by subject before or during the pooling process. Every year around 30% of applicants are pooled before interview to another college. If you are pooled, you interview at the college to which you are pooled (you can also be interviewed at other college(s) during interview week).

That's why people on TSR say don't stress too much about applying to a given college- b/c you may end up pooled elsewhere.
Original post by DCDude
Actually, that is wrong. Each college looks at their applicants (including the ones assigned from open applications), pull out the ones that they want to interview up to 3x the number of places that they have for that subject, and the rest are pooled. In most (all?) subjects, all of the applicants are reviewed by subject before or during the pooling process. Every year around 30% of applicants are pooled before interview to another college. If you are pooled, you interview at the college to which you are pooled (you can also be interviewed at other college(s) during interview week).

That's why people on TSR say don't stress too much about applying to a given college- b/c you may end up pooled elsewhere.

Original post by Eux
^^
Original post by Eux

...not as gutted as the ones who don't get an interview offer!

And, people have been pooled to colleges that they see as 'better' than their original one.

More importantly, I don't know anyone who was pooled (who got an offer) that didn't end up being very happy with their college.
Original post by Eux
^^

obviously typing too slowly & cross posting :h:
Original post by DCDude
...not as gutted as the ones who don't get an interview offer!

And, people have been pooled to colleges that they see as 'better' than their original one.

More importantly, I don't know anyone who was pooled (who got an offer) that didn't end up being very happy with their college.

Yeah thats one thing everyone says. I guess Oxford is Oxford either way!
Original post by ilovecake123
Im applying for medicine as well! what college did you apply to?

Christ Church :smile: what about you?
Anyone knows if I can submit report cards while submitting written work ?
Haha.....this week has been a bit better as I've stopped eating jars of Nutella with a spoon and have moved on to 'only' entire banana cakes.

Imagine how it's gonna be after the exams and we can actually get rejected or not.....

OMG that is literally me. I am seriously losing hope. :'( :'(
Original post by Janinns
Yes, I finally got an e-mail from them. I am an international student so I believe our grading systems are way too different.
However, If you are interested, my school leaving exams subjects are: History (in English), Civic education (combination of philosophy, politics and economics), English language and my maternity language. I am predicted to accomplish my school leaving exams on straight As (more precisely it could be seen as A*s). :smile: What about you?

That's cool! Hahaha, no worries, I don't mean to pry. I just think it's nice to meet people with similar goals :smile:. I did the IB and got 38 7-6-6 (equivalent to A*AA I think?). But I'm retaking an exam and hope to get something in the low 40s (out of 45). I also did History (probably my favourite subject), although civic education looks very interesting!
Original post by tamara98
Awh, good luck ! What are you applying for ?

Thanks, good luck to you too (and may the odds be ever in our favor :wink:). PPE, you?

See? You're already one step above us, mate.

I'm in denial right now, pretending that November 4th is months away or, even better, that we'll just skip it this year...
Original post by adynaton
Thanks, good luck to you too (and may the odds be ever in our favor :wink:). PPE, you?

English and French !

I'm in denial right now, pretending that November 4th is months away or, even better, that we'll just skip it this year...

Same...

Exactly in the same situation. Applied for PPE at Oriel. What college did you apply? Do you know if the TSA is used to decide who to interview, or only when making offers?
Anybody else for Law at Brasenose? I need some kind of reassurance that my below-par grades may not be instant-rejection material :s
Original post by ntanationa
Exactly in the same situation. Applied for PPE at Oriel. What college did you apply? Do you know if the TSA is used to decide who to interview, or only when making offers?

Christ Church for me. I'm afraid it is a strong factor taken into consideration for interview shortlisting.
Christ Church for me. I'm afraid it is a strong factor taken into consideration for interview shortlisting.

Okay thanks! Good luck :smile:
English and French !

That sounds so interesting! Which universities did you apply to? :smile:

Same...

How are you preparing, if you don't mind me asking?

Latest

Trending

Trending