The Student Room Group

Msc forensic psychology - what is it best to study at undergraduate level

So basically I am applying for university now, an undergraduate course as I am just now getting ready to do my a2 exams.

Is it best to do a normal psychology degree (which is much easier to find courses in) or a undergrad degree in forensic psychology prior to doing a masters degree in forensic psychology?

For people doing an msc in forensic psychology now what did you study beforehand? - was it helpful, do you wish you'd done something different etc?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm starting to freak out as need to put in my ucas application pretty soon now.

Also if you are suggesting I do an undergrad degree in forensic psychology where do you suggest I go?

I've found UEL, Lincoln and Liverpool John moored but couldn't find any others?

Again thank you so much in advance !!!
Original post by underatedidiot
So basically I am applying for university now, an undergraduate course as I am just now getting ready to do my a2 exams.

Is it best to do a normal psychology degree (which is much easier to find courses in) or a undergrad degree in forensic psychology prior to doing a masters degree in forensic psychology?

For people doing an msc in forensic psychology now what did you study beforehand? - was it helpful, do you wish you'd done something different etc?

Thanks for the help guys, I'm starting to freak out as need to put in my ucas application pretty soon now.

Also if you are suggesting I do an undergrad degree in forensic psychology where do you suggest I go?

I've found UEL, Lincoln and Liverpool John moored but couldn't find any others?

Again thank you so much in advance !!!

I'd personally recommend doing a regular psychology degree which has forensic psychology modules available. This is only really based on the idea that maybe employers will think "forensic psychology" looks abit rubbish on your CV, not sure how true this would be. However, i'd really recommend trying to apply to the best uni for psychology regardless of whether it has forensic psychology modules - even if you do forensic psychology at university most of it will be about general psychology theories and you can do a Msc in it even if you haven't done it at undergrad. It's not really worth trying to decide what you want to do 5 years in the future now since you'll inevitably find out about new aspects about psychology that you may find more intesteresting.

Its also worth thinking about why you would want to do a Msc in forensic psychology. I don't think its really a very big field to get a career in.
Original post by iammichealjackson
I'd personally recommend doing a regular psychology degree which has forensic psychology modules available. This is only really based on the idea that maybe employers will think "forensic psychology" looks abit rubbish on your CV, not sure how true this would be. However, i'd really recommend trying to apply to the best uni for psychology regardless of whether it has forensic psychology modules - even if you do forensic psychology at university most of it will be about general psychology theories and you can do a Msc in it even if you haven't done it at undergrad. It's not really worth trying to decide what you want to do 5 years in the future now since you'll inevitably find out about new aspects about psychology that you may find more intesteresting.

Its also worth thinking about why you would want to do a Msc in forensic psychology. I don't think its really a very big field to get a career in.

Thanks for the help I agree about psychology offering a wider option job, I am interested in mop all aspects about forensic psychology also.

Thanks again!!
To echo the above: Do a general Psychology degree, unless you really have a burning desire to do an undergrad in forensic. Even if you do the forensic BSc, it'll have most of the same modules as regular Psych in order for it to be accredited by the BPS. Often the difference is pretty minor.

A MSc in Forensic grants you stage 1 of chartership as a Forensic Psychologist. For around £5,000 fee's, it is the easiest stage. Stage 2 is very difficult due to the rarity of positions that enable you to get supervised practice; let alone ones that are paid. Plus, Forensic Psychology isn't a highly sought after area, a lot of Psychologists who work with forensic populations are in fact Clinical Psychologists.

I did an MSc in Forensic Psych and I realised that qualifying isn't really worth it and am pursuing the Clinical route. Having said that, a Master's is useful for getting jobs and on the Clinical doctorate - so it may as well have been that one.

Quick Reply

Latest