The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Poll

Do you agree with Same-sex Marriage?

It doesn't harm anyone, Love is love and it is taking away rights from the LGBT community.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by footygirlx
I dont think the government should force the church to do anything they dont want to, why would you want go get married into an institution that hates you. But i do think we should have it who cares anyway its 2015.

But there are still countries where're being gay carries the death penalty!
Original post by saxsan4
But there are still countries where're being gay carries the death penalty!

I know but what can we do about that.
Yes I agree with same sex marriage. Though I do think religious institutes, regardless of how backwards and archaic they are should be allowed to practice their religion and refuse to marry same sex couples (which is how it currently is). But I don't think there should be any debate whatsoever about same sex marriages being allowed outside of religion and through the state, there is no reason whatsoever this shouldn't be allowed. And anyone who says "gay marriage ruins it for the rest of us" clearly has their own issues. What someone else does with their lives in no way impedes on yours. And it's a pathetic outburst from homophobes.

Edit:

For anyone who is confused on where I personally believe we should draw the line on what religions should be allowed to do or what they should be allowed to deny. Here is my response to another user:

Perhaps I should have been clearer in what I think religious institutes should be allowed to deny or do. I think religious institutes should be allowed to deny or do things so long as they do not harm or take away the human rights of another person. And this should only be allowed on religious properties or religious ceremonies that are in no way state owned or funded.

Though I think organised religion is backward and wrong (for a number of reasons), I also believe forcing people to change their religion (unless it harms or infringes on the rights of others) to be wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Same-sex marriage should be on par with different-sex marriage. The genders of the two participants should be irrelevant.

As for whether religions should be forced into performing. I am in favour of individuals having a degree of autonomy in their own institutions. If a religious institution does decide not to permit them, or refuse to perform them, any special status they have should be revoked (and potentially have a special tax levied against them)
Reply 6
Yes. I support it 100%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I don't agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
if two people love each other and want to get married, they should have every right to, what sex you are is totally irrelevant
Original post by elliemayxo
No, I don't agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why?
Yes defo
Original post by chantalc
why?

Because I think marriage should be between a man and a woman.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just to flip the question - what are people's stances on the right of hetrosexual couples to get civil partnerships?
Ofcourse!

Posted from TSR Mobile

And I think the sky should be purple...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?
She's allowed to have an opinion.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
And I think the sky should be purple...
Reply 17
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Just to flip the question - what are people's stances on the right of hetrosexual couples to get civil partnerships?

They should be allowed if they want to
Original post by KingBradly
I completely support same-sex marriage but in one respect it's a shame that it was was legalized. Christianity doesn't except homosexuality, full stop. It is a backwards, outdated, incredibly stupid religion that should just be left to die out, rather than adapted to suit the modern world.

There are many Christians who accept homosexuality, the New Testament doesn't prohibit it. Yes, there are some lines in the Old Testament which speak against same sex relationships, but it also mentions many other things that no one seems to follow, such as not using fabrics made out of 2 fibers or more. Christians who claim that homosexuality is a sin fail to see that the core of Christianity promotes peace, not hatred towards others for their partner choice.
Original post by Matthew_Lowson

If they want one, I see no reason why they shouldn't be allowed one.

Latest

Trending

Trending