The Student Room Group

Operations to Front office?

Hello,

Short story... I'm currently in my 3rd year in Engineering and have the option to do a placement year. I have applied for placement years in finance but 90% of the ones offered are in Operations? I have an assessment centre coming up at JP, if i get the placement offer, my plan is do this placement then do a trading analyst program after in summer (after my placement).

Is it generally quite tough to go from a 1 year internship in operations to trading summer analyst? My thoughts are any experience is better than no experience?

Any thoughts on the matter? Thanks
Reply 1
anyone?
Reply 2
Hi,

In my personal opinion if you get a placement at a big firm in the industry like JP it will look good on the CV whatever you do. In terms of moving from operations to trading summer analyst I do not see this as an issue as the summer internships are meant to introduce you and give you an insight into the industry. The fact that you will have worked in an operations role will actually give you more knowledge in the whole process of trading rather than just the actual performing of the trades. A lot of people may not have worked in operations so may not understand the full amount of work which is done so front office is can run smoothly. You can easily use this example in future interviews for trading. Remember any experience is good experience if its within the industry you want to work in.
Reply 3
Original post by poch123
Hi,

In my personal opinion if you get a placement at a big firm in the industry like JP it will look good on the CV whatever you do. In terms of moving from operations to trading summer analyst I do not see this as an issue as the summer internships are meant to introduce you and give you an insight into the industry. The fact that you will have worked in an operations role will actually give you more knowledge in the whole process of trading rather than just the actual performing of the trades. A lot of people may not have worked in operations so may not understand the full amount of work which is done so front office is can run smoothly. You can easily use this example in future interviews for trading. Remember any experience is good experience if its within the industry you want to work in.

Alright cheers for your opinion mate. Yeah I agree with you tbf.
Reply 4
I was recently attending MS at one of their events and spoke about the exactly same thing. My situation is a little different, I am 2nd year (4 year course) and cannot apply for summer internships in trading. I spoke with a couple of MS representatives and they told me that it is possible. If you go to operations try to indicate that you want to work for client processing. One of the employees told me that you could be send directly to the trading floor.
Original post by FiiL
I was recently attending MS at one of their events and spoke about the exactly same thing. My situation is a little different, I am 2nd year (4 year course) and cannot apply for summer internships in trading. I spoke with a couple of MS representatives and they told me that it is possible. If you go to operations try to indicate that you want to work for client processing. One of the employees told me that you could be send directly to the trading floor.

You can apply for spring weeks? Why not just give them a punt this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Princepieman
You can apply for spring weeks? Why not just give them a punt this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As a part from my program at uni, we are allowed to apply for MS, Barclays and J.P. Morgan for a summer internship directly after our 2nd year. I have a couple of friends that were 2nd year and got summer internships. The problem is that you can apply only to Technology, Operations, Finance and Fund services.
Original post by FiiL
As a part from my program at uni, we are allowed to apply for MS, Barclays and J.P. Morgan for a summer internship directly after our 2nd year. I have a couple of friends that were 2nd year and got summer internships. The problem is that you can apply only to Technology, Operations, Finance and Fund services.

Yeah, so apply to spring weeks.. If you apply to a spring week in IBD/S&T, you'll be able to convert that to a summer internship after your third year.

Honestly, doing a summer internship in Ops early is not going to help you, in any way, if you want to get into FO; whereas, getting on an SW most definitely will
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Princepieman
Yeah, so apply to spring weeks.. If you apply to a spring week in IBD/S&T, you'll be able to convert that to a summer internship after your third year.

Honestly, doing a summer internship in Ops early is not going to help you, in any way, if you want to get into FO; whereas, getting on an SW most definitely will

Yea, I am applying to Spring Weeks too in order to try and convert them to summer internships. Operations is something like a second option if I do not get accepted to SW or I cannot convert any.
Still SWs are my main focus right now.
Original post by FiiL
Yea, I am applying to Spring Weeks too in order to try and convert them to summer internships. Operations is something like a second option if I do not get accepted to SW or I cannot convert any.
Still SWs are my main focus right now.

Good stuff, I hope it works out!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending