The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KingBradly
Do you think that if you're racist you should be allowed to stop people of certain colours coming into your shop?

As far as I'm aware or remember there are no religious passages that allow for such things, but you raise a good point.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in what I think religious institute should be allowed to deny. I think religious institutes should be allowed to deny things so long as they do not harm or take away the human rights of another person. And this should only be allowed on religious properties or religious ceremonies that are in no way state owned or funded.

Though I think organised religion is backward and wrong, I also believe forcing people to change their religion (unless it harms or takes rights from others) to be wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HAnwar

Oh you don't know half the stuff she's said to me.

Let me wipe away those homophobic tears

Original post by SophieSmall
That was a good giggle, thanks :tongue:

It is pretty hilarious when people say "but that's not what the bible says" particularly women

Honey...the bible says you basically get sold into marriage and have no rights on the matter...oh and if you eat shrimp at the reception it's an abomination.

But the vast majority of religious people pick and choose what passages they will listen to. Because they have the audacity to think they know better than their god. And the bible is taken as the "word of god" so they are literally disregarding the word of god.

And that is why I cannot respect organised religion. It is full of hypocritical people who pick and choose.

Why do you assume that just because someone doesn't agree with gay marriage, they're religious? People like you are an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't agree with gay marriage = homophobe
Don't agree with religion = Freedom of speech.

Logic.
Original post by Mathematicus65
That is an outrageously stupid comparison, he is perfectly entitled to his religious beliefs

I wasn't making a comparison, I was actually just genuinely interested to see how far she goes with this kind of libertarian mindset. I don't necessarily disagree with it.
Original post by elliemayxo
Why do you assume that just because someone doesn't agree with gay marriage, they're religious? People like you are an issue

Posted from TSR Mobile

Funny...coming from the one who said God defined marriage as between a man and women just a few pages ago.

I know that not only religious people are against same sex marriage. However in that response religious people being against same sex marriage is what I was addressing...as on this thread people with religious agendas have been the only ones to disagree with it so far as I have seen.
Original post by Mathematicus65
No I do not support same-sex marriage, however I am perfectly okay with the idea of a civil partnership. As a Christian, a marriage is a holy religious ceremony and since in our faith a marriage is defined as the partnership of a man and woman, I think it is wrong to enforce change on the Christian faith since, after all, we are in a country in which we are allowed to practise religious free speech

👍🏻👍🏻 I agree

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HAnwar

Oh you don't know half the stuff she's said to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

However it is massively generalising to decide your opinion on gay marriage based on her. I doubt shes said anything that bad to be honest.
Original post by driftawaay
Let me wipe away those homophobic tears

loool :colondollar:
As far as I'm aware or remember there are no religious passages that allow for such things, but you raise a good point.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in what I think religious institute should be allowed to deny. I think religious institutes should be allowed to deny things so long as they do not harm or take away the human rights of another person. And this should only be allowed on religious properties or religious ceremonies that are in no way state owned or funded.

Though I think organised religion is backward and wrong, I also believe forcing people to change their religion (unless it harms others) to be wrong.

I think I agree with you. I wasn't actually trying to make a comparison as such, I was just seeing how far you went with that kind of mindset, which I suppose you could say is kind of libertarian. I think it's a very difficult question and an interesting subject.
I'm an atheist myself as I have no faith that a god exist, however as a scientific mind I cannot 100% rule out the possibility of a creator.

However I will rule out the bible with it's ridiculous contradictions and passages that literally make no sense with chicken demons....yeah.

Well the bible does make sense, maybe not to you. But that's all I'm saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate, you need to patch up on what you're saying. You're complaining about what others are saying - yet you're classifying others as 'issues?' Wtf.

Spoiler

Well the bible does make sense

Posted from TSR Mobile

This statement is proof that she has never read it

Thank you for the confirmation

Posted from TSR Mobile

The bible's new testament never explicitly states that homosexuality is immoral.
Original post by saxsan4
It doesn't harm anyone, Love is love and it is taking away rights from the LGBT community.

Yes -- but if your profile picture means anything, you're supporting the wrong party. :tongue:
Reply 155
Yes I agree with same sex marriage. Though I do think religious institutes, regardless of how backwards and archaic they are should be allowed to practice their religion and refuse to marry same sex couples (which is how it currently is). But I don't think there should be any debate whatsoever about same sex marriages being allowed outside of religion and through the state, there is no reason whatsoever this shouldn't be allowed. And anyone who says "gay marriage ruins it for the rest of us" clearly has their own issues. What someone else does with their lives in no way impedes on yours. And it's a pathetic outburst from homophobes.

FGM is a religious requirement in some areas of the world. Where do we draw the line?
Original post by KingBradly
I think I agree with you. I wasn't actually trying to make a comparison as such, I was just seeing how far you went with that kind of mindset, which I suppose you could say is kind of libertarian. I think it's a very difficult question and an interesting subject.

I see I wasn't very clear in my initial post, and so I can see why you came to your scenario.

But as a rule basically, I think everyone should have freedom of religion and rights so long as those religions and rights do not affect the religion and rights of others. But it does get more complicated as you get down to specific issues.
I'm an atheist myself as I have no faith that a god exist, however as a scientific mind I cannot 100% rule out the possibility of a creator.

However I will rule out the bible with it's ridiculous contradictions and passages that literally make no sense with chicken demons....yeah.

Absolutely right, couldn't have put it better myself. :cool:

Even though I'd say I'm more creative than logical, I'm still both and can see the flaws in believing in such a contradictory faith(s).

People ask how one can be an atheist given the wonder of the universe and such, well one can't disprove a negative. However under that logic, it would be equally likely that pink unicorns, fairies, Hogwarts or the flying spaghetti monster exists. I'm an atheist in the same way I'm an aunicornist or afairyist, or indeed amagicist (though the Harry Potter world is soooo cool). The evidence for all examples is equally poor.
Original post by United1892
However it is massively generalising to decide your opinion on gay marriage based on her. I doubt shes said anything that bad to be honest.

I'm not though lol
It's because of religious reasons.
Lol she got banned for a while, so yes, it was that bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then I highly doubt you have fully read it.

Latest

Trending

Trending