The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage?

Scroll to see replies

No, but then again I don't believe in opposite sex marriage either
Even if I didn't agree, why should my opinions affect the lives of others who I will never meet. What makes my opinions more important than someone else's happiness? I'd understand if it had real moral consequences but why should I be able to dictate to someone who they can and cannot love?
Original post by JD1lla
What is 'Christian' about our country? Believing homosexuality is wrong purely because that's what the Holy Book says to me, is offensive. This is the problem with these Ancient Textbooks. They can't be updated.

Well unfortunately for you, we live in a civilised capitalist society in which everyone is entitled to their opinion not just yourself. I am anti-homosexual with respects to it disrupting my religious beliefs, otherwise practising it is fine in my opinion as long as such acts do not involve me. I respect the desires of homosexuals but also believe that they should respect the Christian community preference of not allowing gay marriage since, despite some of the nonsense above, derived from poorly explained arguments, but marriage is a Christian ceremony. Forcing your beliefs on the Christian religion is ignorant and selfish
Reply 203
Original post by driftawaay
That's what every girl tells me before the big O but they dont mean it

Whatever. Stop boring me with your yucky fantasies. Straight and proud :u:
Original post by HAnwar
'Moral people like me'
:rofl:
I'm so done.

Aw look, a Muslim repped u. It was prob m3m
I think marraige is an archaic institution which should either be abolished or adjusted. I like the idea of civil partnerships which are completely divorced from religious roots which have flexible T+Cs which are decided upon by each party and which arent as difficult to get out of.
Aw look, a Muslim repped u. It was prob m3m

Or maybe a person who doesn't like you.
Have to look at all angles ygm.
Original post by Rk2k14
Or maybe a person who doesn't like you.

That's a metaphor.
Reply 208
Original post by Mathematicus65
Well unfortunately for you, we live in a civilised capitalist society in which everyone is entitled to their opinion not just yourself. I am anti-homosexual with respects to it disrupting my religious beliefs, otherwise practising it is fine in my opinion as long as such acts do not involve me. I respect the desires of homosexuals but also believe that they should respect the Christian community preference of not allowing gay marriage since, despite some of the nonsense above, derived from poorly explained arguments, but marriage is a Christian ceremony. Forcing your beliefs on the Christian religion is ignorant and selfish

I wouldn't really call our society civilised. We still have people that believe homosexuality is wrong or a 'sin'.Homosexuality is not a belief or belief system. It is a fundamental right. Sex is not a gift from God. Nor is Love. Who the actual f**k are we to decide who gets to marry? Many things are derived from the Bible, that doesn't hold weight today. Christmas was a pagan festivity right? That was actually banned at several points throughout the timeline because it was deemed 'too pagan' by Protestants? I bet you still celebrate it though.
Reply 209
That's a metaphor.

:hand:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mathematicus65

Yet again.

No, not it is not. Marriage pre-dates your religion and many others. And not all marriages are religious ceremonies. Like I already told you but you of course ignored, there is such a thing as civil marriage which in no way infringe on the rights of Christians or change Christian marriage.

But of course you will choose to ignore this reply too.
Original post by Lord Kitchener
Even if I didn't agree, why should my opinions affect the lives of others who I will never meet. What makes my opinions more important than someone else's happiness? I'd understand if it had real moral consequences but why should I be able to dictate to someone who they can and cannot love?

Fantastic response. And something too many people do not understand.
Original post by JD1lla
I wouldn't really call our society civilised. We still have people that believe homosexuality is wrong or a 'sin'.Homosexuality is not a belief or belief system. It is a fundamental right. Sex is not a gift from God. Nor is Love. Who the actual f**k are we to decide who gets to marry? Many things are derived from the Bible, that doesn't hold weight today. Christmas was a pagan festivity right? That was actually banned at several points throughout the timeline because it was deemed 'too pagan' by Protestants? I bet you still celebrate it though.

Firstly you should be more respectful of other people's beliefs, you exhibit complete ignorance in some of your posts. Some people do happen to believe that homosexuality is a sin, and it is the human right to exhibit freedom of religious speech. Whether you dislike it or not most of the world believes it to be sinful, from Christianity, to Islam, Sikhism to Buddhism, Rastafarianism to Catholicism, from Italy to Somalia, from Saudi Arabia to Russia, from Germany to India, millions of religious people define homosexuality to be immoral. And apologies about the comment about living in a civilised society, I thought you were living in the United Kingdom so I must have been mistaken since with the exclusion of Germany we probably live in the most civilised country on earth. That's why we must hope conservatism continues here because the labour want to return communist dictatorship, like people like you thrive on, the removal of freedom.
Original post by SophieSmall
I'm not remotely creative unfortunately :tongue:

I agree with your response, definitely on the same page.

Aww, I'm sure you are to a degree at least. Noone's really 100% on one side tbf.

Yeah we are! *high five*
That's what every girl tells me before the big O but they dont mean it

This is just awesome
This thread seems more like a validation of the "right" opinion.
Original post by SophieSmall
Yet again.

No, not it is not. Marriage pre-dates your religion and many others. And not all marriages are religious ceremonies. Like I already told you but you of course ignored, there is such a thing as civil marriage which in no way infringe on the rights of Christians or change Christian marriage.

But of course you will choose to ignore this reply too.

Apologies for your Idiocracy but marriage DOES NOT predate Christianity
Let gays get married.... Why should they be happy?

Spoiler

Am I allowed to say no?
Original post by Eigo-Jin
This thread seems more like a validation of the "right" opinion.

Obviously, since we don't actually debate non issues like this in 2015.

Latest

Trending

Trending